Anyone go from 1100 Evo to 1200? - Page 7 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 133 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2014, 9:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by op48no1 View Post
We're working on it. Just spending a disproportionate amount of time on the 1100 Evo.

Give us time...

Edit: Actually, I think we 1100 Evo owners are feeling a bit left out by the passing of the torch to the 1200, LOL.

-Henry
I'll buy that.

2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S
2012 Ducati Monster 1100 EVO (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 133 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2014, 3:54 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairbanksdmt View Post
After test riding the new 1200 Monster, I agree the engine is beautiful, and more power than I expected. The rest of the bike though is not quite on the mark. I don't care much for the looks, especially the left side. It felt heavy, but balanced, and the exhaust note was actually pretty impressive. However as earlier stated the foot position was very uncomfortable, and unless you have ridden it, that sounds like splitting hairs....but to not be able to put the balls of my feet on the pegs is unacceptable. I didn't care of the ergo's either as it felt rather cruiser-ish. For 18k out the door I simply can't justify this bike. If I were going to spend that, I would get the new KTM Super Duke. I really wanted to like this bike and if I fell in love with it I would have justified the purchase but too many marks against it. Sticking with my air cooled ducati for the time being.

I took it for a demo ride few days ago and I think the same as you. Ergonomics is totally different then on previous monsters, like scaled down diavel. Foot position is disaster. On left side swing arm is on the way for your foot and on right it's exhaust. Power is there, braking is good, no fueling issues at all, but power is up, above 6 000 rpm. I rode in sport all the time. My girl told me it's much more comfortable than my s2r 1000 (not to mention sfs ).
Can I see it in my garage as my next Ducati? No...

S2R 1000 07'
Streetfighter S 09'
post #63 of 133 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2014, 1:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atz3 View Post
I fully agree with you. Dialed the setting to sport, loosened the compression and rebound slightly in the front and there is no wobble... It's tight, it's sharp, and can be corrected mid corner if needed, a great knife. Hanging on the side, touching my toes on the ground is a fantastic feeling, when opening up the throttle to let the surge of power overwhelm you slinging out of the corner.... what an amazing machine...
What is the datum (reference) for judging your 1200S's proficiency through corners? How do we know that you are actually going faster and lower than my gaffer does on his hog ? Who says you don't just like it 'cause it rides like a Cadilac (Cruiser) fitted with a Blower? I cannot imagine that you will beat my EVO through a set of turns with your extra weight, longer wheelbase, fatter rear wheel and that mud-catcher (more unsprung weight) at the back.

Be sure that you avoid EVO's in the twisties and SuperDukes on the open roads . Oh, and 1190's at the traffic lights .

Less is Monster

2013 Ducati Monster 1100 EVO (Wally)
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure (KaTooM)

post #64 of 133 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2014, 8:47 am

Garage
Hi guys

Very interesting conversation here. I collected my 1200S a few weeks ago and am almost done with the first 1000km. I've written up my own personal review focused on comparing this to my 1100 Evo (which I originally put up for sale but I decided to keep it because it's so special).

Both bikes are excellent in their own ways, just very different and polarizing. And I like the way you call the 1200S a "Miavel"

I'm not a terribly technical person, but here are my thoughts as a daily Monster rider:

A Ducati Monster 1200S review by a Monster 1100 Evo fan | Empty Vessel
post #65 of 133 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2014, 10:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoma View Post
What is the datum (reference) for judging your 1200S's proficiency through corners? How do we know that you are actually going faster and lower than my gaffer does on his hog ? Who says you don't just like it 'cause it rides like a Cadilac (Cruiser) fitted with a Blower? I cannot imagine that you will beat my EVO through a set of turns with your extra weight, longer wheelbase, fatter rear wheel and that mud-catcher (more unsprung weight) at the back.

Be sure that you avoid EVO's in the twisties and SuperDukes on the open roads . Oh, and 1190's at the traffic lights .
I can't speak for anyone else but my datum is my time up Palomar Mountain, which is all twisties and in which I ate my EVO's time alive. That's just a real world scenario from somebody who owned both though, not some academic postulation about the perfect situation where the older bike might just beat the newer one. Whatever fractions of a second you can gain in a corner with quicker tip in is annihilated when the power comes on after the apex - the EVO literally does not have a chance.

And sure, there are faster bikes out there - unless you're on a SuperLeggera there always are. A SuperDuke is faster than me, oh well, I can live with that - it seems that you're having quite a hard time dealing with me being faster than you though! If you really care about speed so much why did you buy a Monster in the first place?

Oh yes, re. the mud catcher, I find my 45 extra hp carries that 2 oz's of unsprung weight quite well!
post #66 of 133 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2014, 2:15 pm

I don't know why I'm so compelled to promote the new 1200, maybe it's best most think it is a cross between a Diavel and Monster and are reluctant to purchase it. This will keep the number on the street low and make my bike more unique

As others have said, I cannot speak of all the actual physics and engineering but I can say I can ride the 1200S just as fast and faster through corners than any other Duc I've owned or ridden to date.

And on the topic of esthetics, didn't the 1200 win the EICMA 2013 "Most Beautiful Bike in Show" award

2014 Monster 1200S
99 996
2013 Pikes PeakSold
2006 Sport ClassicTraded
11 DiavelSold
06 ST3SSold
07 S4RSSold Heart Broken
post #67 of 133 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2014, 10:24 pm

That's a nice review. Thanks for posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superflask View Post
Hi guys

Very interesting conversation here. I collected my 1200S a few weeks ago and am almost done with the first 1000km. I've written up my own personal review focused on comparing this to my 1100 Evo (which I originally put up for sale but I decided to keep it because it's so special).

Both bikes are excellent in their own ways, just very different and polarizing. And I like the way you call the 1200S a "Miavel"

I'm not a terribly technical person, but here are my thoughts as a daily Monster rider:

post #68 of 133 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2014, 12:44 am Thread Starter

^^^ great review!
post #69 of 133 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2014, 3:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by superflask View Post

Excellent write-up. I think that you have done a wise thing hanging on to the EVO. There is even a formula to justify that;

How many Bikes are you allowed to own? = n+1

where n is the amount of Bikes that you already own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr Mustard View Post
I can't speak for anyone else but my datum is my time up Palomar Mountain, which is all twisties and in which I ate my EVO's time alive. That's just a real world scenario from somebody who owned both though, not some academic postulation about the perfect situation where the older bike might just beat the newer one. Whatever fractions of a second you can gain in a corner with quicker tip in is annihilated when the power comes on after the apex - the EVO literally does not have a chance.

And sure, there are faster bikes out there - unless you're on a SuperLeggera there always are. A SuperDuke is faster than me, oh well, I can live with that - it seems that you're having quite a hard time dealing with me being faster than you though! If you really care about speed so much why did you buy a Monster in the first place?

Oh yes, re. the mud catcher, I find my 45 extra hp carries that 2 oz's of unsprung weight quite well!
Touch. My KaTooM (1190) pulls like the proverbial Bat-out-of-Hell out of corners. Ill be doing some work on the EVO to address that penalty weight mostly. That Diavel Mud-catcher is probably more than two ounces, and an ounce of Unsprung Weight equates to eight ounces of Sprung Weight. It does not belong IMHO.

A new Bike will forever ride nicer (or seem to at least) than the old one. You will physically need to rubbish an EVO through the twisties to know for sure that it would not whip your @ss right there . I am not too worried about speed I bought my EVO after I saw the first photos of the 1200/S. Its a Keeper. I cannot come to terms with Liquid-cooled Nakeds, SuperDuke R included. They carry too much clutter. A proper Naked needs to look great and go great and sound great no ifs, yes-buts or other tradeoffs. Somehow Ducati dealt much better with that on the S4R/S than Ducaudi have managed to on the 1200/S. If you need your Naked to have more Power, you could get a Hellcat; X132 Hellcat Benchmarks | Confederate Motorcycles

Ill probably say this again. I do not dislike the 1200/S per se in fact I think that it is a great Bike, but I do dislike it being called a Monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montducati View Post
And on the topic of esthetics, didn't the 1200 win the EICMA 2013 "Most Beautiful Bike in Show" award
Perhaps the same phenomenon that saw your Obama and our Zuma succeed twice in a row; Groupthink - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Less is Monster

2013 Ducati Monster 1100 EVO (Wally)
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure (KaTooM)
post #70 of 133 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2014, 3:47 am

Garage
[QUOTE=Estoma;3941545]Excellent write-up. I think that you have done a wise thing hanging on to the EVO. There is even a formula to justify that;

How many Bikes are you allowed to own? = n+1

where n is the amount of Bikes that you already own.

Hi Estoma, if only my wife believed in the same formula.... Her formula is "n-1" where "n" is the number of bikes she reluctantly let you own!

Now if only Ducati can make a Monster as light and compact as the 1100 Evo, and have the same power/torque of the 1200S. That dream bike will outsell everything else on the market now. For now, it's either one or the other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode