Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

2005 Ducati Monster 620 Wont Start

7K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Yuu 
#1 ·
Hey guys

I apologize if these questions have been answered elsewhere but i honestly have no clue what im doing. I just need some answers and research to help me out. And nearest Ducati Dealer is over 300 miles away :(

Ducati Not Starting - YouTube
(here is my bike and teh problem i am having)

I've had problems with this bike before, all of which ive seemed to fix until now. Ive had this same problem (see video for my exact issue) of the bike not starting and acting like its a sensor or something, but turns out it had a loose oil filter. Changed oil and tightened it up and it worked great for a few weeks til it started to do this same thing again. Last Sunday i rode it all day, but now it just does (in the video) the not starting.

Pardon my lingo, im still trying to learn as i go with some of this mechanic stuff. I do IT for computers, not the best in mechanics.

I ordered 2 devices, one is an OBDII to USB converter, and the other is a OBDII ended Ducati converter(i believe anyways, i can post pix if this will help me.) so i was wondering if there was a way i could check any codes without a dealer or computer or if these converters may get me to answer my issues(i researched ducatidiag, etc...). I do have some advanced mechanics that will be helping me with this, however these are just my thoughts on the bike so far.

I know this isnt just a general question, just more looking for some good advice and proper verbage that may help me get this fixed quicker. Anything is appreciated! and if you have questions, ill try to answer as best i can.

THanks you guys! :)

-Ammon Sorden

See less See more
#4 ·
I don't hear it either. When you power on, you should hear a 1 (or so) second mechanical whine from the tank. So you need to ensure that the pump is priming.

If you pull the spark plugs out, immediately after tying to start the bike (Not just powering on the bike, but running the start cycle), are they wet with gasoline? They should be.

How many miles on this monster? Has the fuel filter ever been replaced? If not ever, you may have a clogged up filter. And running a gummed up filter puts an extra load on the pump motor, which can lead to an early death for that pump as it over heats.

So like Borderlands, my first suspicion is you're not getting enough or possibly any gas.

Another thing to check is if you're getting power to the spark plugs.

#3 ·
I think that my cousin said that it is giving fuel just fine. And it has been working off and on doing this problem in the video... what i thought was other issues turned out to be wrong as now it just wont start at all. (and the last time it did start i did an all day ride with it starting just fine...) i woke up to this last week, and now it just continues to not start.

#5 ·
Perfect, I will try all these things and check to see if i get results. Its got about almost 12k miles on it. The previous owner said they got proper maintenance done on it 2k before i got the bike. I got it at about 9.5k.

And this does make sense as one day my bike wouldnt start and it seemed like it was running out of gas.

So maybe the reason its completely not starting is that it IS broken now, and ive just killed it. LOL. Lovely :) ill see if its right or not.

THANK YOU!

#7 ·
Well, unless you know the fuel filter was changed, assume it wasn't. Good thing is they are cheap. I don't recall the part #- but there's a NAPA filter that's identical to the OEM one, at about $7 a pop.

If your pump is dead - here's a new one
Ca Cycleworks EFI Fuel Pump | ca-cycleworks.com

The cam belts need to be replaced at 2 years of age, or 12k miles - whichever comes first.
Flush your brakes and clutch annually.
Fork oil *should* be replaced once a year. At 12k miles they might need a little more TLC like new bushings.
Shocks should get a service every couple years. But, one a 620 you might try to track down a used high spec shock for a good price - that that one off to get serviced and then do a swap. Minimize the down time.
Lube stuff like cables, pivots etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.