2012 696 fuel tank - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Monster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jan 17th, 2012, 7:03 pm   #1 (permalink)

2012 696 fuel tank

I just put down a deposit on a brand new 696 only to hear about this fuel tank issue. Did they do anything to fix the problem for 2012?

Is it as big an issue on the 696 as it is on the other bikes? What is the likely hood that i will have this problem if nothing has been done to fix the situation?

Thanks for any info.
BudgetRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 17th, 2012, 9:03 pm   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetRacing View Post
I just put down a deposit on a brand new 696 only to hear about this fuel tank issue. Did they do anything to fix the problem for 2012?

Is it as big an issue on the 696 as it is on the other bikes? What is the likely hood that i will have this problem if nothing has been done to fix the situation?

Thanks for any info.
There is a law suit pending and I'm pretty sure Ducati will be fixing all defective tanks at no cost. And there are thousands of 696/796/1100 that have no tank problems. I've had a 2009 696 for almost 3 years and the tank is perfect. Not sure if the 2012 has any problem but if it does your warranty will cover it.
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2012, 9:11 pm   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link View Post
There is a law suit pending and I'm pretty sure Ducati will be fixing all defective tanks at no cost. And there are thousands of 696/796/1100 that have no tank problems. I've had a 2009 696 for almost 3 years and the tank is perfect. Not sure if the 2012 has any problem but if it does your warranty will cover it.
What type of gas do you use in yours? Ethanol free?

It's not that i'm worried about the warranty, more the resale value when i want to change to something else.
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 4:31 am   #4 (permalink)

Quote:

It's not that i'm worried about the warranty, more the resale value when i want to change to something else.
NEVER use ethanol fuel, it destroys your engine!

- Diavel Carbon Red
- Ducati 1098

The only thing better than a fast Italian motorcycle is several fast italian motorcycles.
DocMV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 5:40 pm   #5 (permalink)

Quote:

I'm not sure, I live in CA. and have used gas from Texaco, Shell & Chevron
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 6:46 pm   #6 (permalink)

You're covered for 5 years regarding the terms of the settlement on the tank.

It's not such a huge issue with the latest Monster because the fuel tank is underneath plastic covers. So even if it does expand, you shouldn't notice a problem.
AMGnDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2012, 5:01 am   #7 (permalink)

Apparently that extra warranty doesn't apply in Canada.
Old Jan 20th, 2012, 9:11 am   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMGnDuc View Post
You're covered for 5 years regarding the terms of the settlement on the tank.

It's not such a huge issue with the latest Monster because the fuel tank is underneath plastic covers. So even if it does expand, you shouldn't notice a problem.
That is correct. The cover design conceals the problem depending on how much the tank expands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link View Post
WRONG. The settlement does not mean Ducati will "fix" anything. If required, they will simply replace the defective tank with an equally defective one. Look under the covers and see if your tank has expanded. It probably has, but as you cannot see it, and because it has not affected the operation of the bike, Ducati will do nothing.
Blinged out Yellow '06 SportClassic Sport 1000 Monoposto: Termi 2:2, Ceramic Coated Exhaust, DP Race ECU, Ducshop Hyperstacks, PCIII, SpeedyMoto Clutch Bling, Yoyodyne Clutch Slave, SpeedyMoto Sprocket Cover, Rizoma Timing Belt Covers, DP Bar Risers, Pazzo Racing Levers, Rizoma Billet Grips, Rizoma Bar Ends and Mirrors, Rizoma Reservoirs, National Cycle Fly Screen custom painted, DP Tank Bag/Bra, Storz-Ceriani Steering Damper, Sato Rearsets, Custom Brake Lever Peg by FFR, Nichols Engine Mount Bolts, Nichols Crankcase Cover, GP Fork Cartridges and suspension "magic" by CRST, SuperSprox 14-41 Sprocket/RK 520 Gold Chain Conversion, Alpina STS Tubeless Spoked Wheels, Brembo Gold Line 4 Piston Front Brake Calipers, Feroda Platinum Pads, Galfer Wave Rotors, SSR CNC Gas Cap and Oil Cap, DPCARS Fender Eliminator Kit, Cox Racing Group Oil Cooler Guard.

'02 Monster 916 S4 Senna: Sil-Moto CF Slip-ons, CF Bits, Tail tidied up, CRG Bar-end Mirrors, SpeedyMoto Clutch Bling, Yoyodyne Clutch Slave, SuperLite 14T Front Sprocket, Ohlins Steering Damper

Red '99 750 Supersport Half Fairing: Sil-Moto CF Slip-ons, Evoluzione Clutch Slave, 14T Front Sprocket, Corbin Seat, Race Tech Fork Springs and suspension "magic" by CRST, Storz-Ceriani Steering Damper, otherwise stock.

Certified Peet's Coffee Junkie

Last edited by slowerthan; Jan 20th, 2012 at 9:18 am.
slowerthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2012, 9:51 am   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMGnDuc View Post
While true, there have been cases reported of fuel leaks on current-gen Monsters resulting from tank deformation.

I've been sticking with ethanol-free fuel.
Old Jan 20th, 2012, 1:13 pm   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowerthan View Post
That is correct. The cover design conceals the problem depending on how much the tank expands.

WRONG. The settlement does not mean Ducati will "fix" anything. If required, they will simply replace the defective tank with an equally defective one. Look under the covers and see if your tank has expanded. It probably has, but as you cannot see it, and because it has not affected the operation of the bike, Ducati will do nothing.
No, the written judgement outlines expansion parameters and if you tank expands beyond those limits Ducati has to fix it. And why do you think they will replace it with another defective one ? I've had my tank off and on several times and it fits perfectly all the holes line up as they did from day one so if it has expanded it was such a minor amount (prob. less then 1mm) there is no way to tell.

Last edited by Chuckracer; Jan 21st, 2012 at 7:27 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement