696 vs 796 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Monster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 12:41 pm   #1 (permalink)

696 vs 796

i tried searching but im not sure i did it correctly but is their a major difference between these two monsters. I did a comparision on the ducati site and it looks like most of the components are the same with extra hp n torque on the 796.

A little info on me, rode a harley road king for a while, race karts, looking for a fun street bike, occasional track day until i see if i want a dedicated track bike.

Thanks
Advertisement

Old Aug 26th, 2011, 3:30 pm   #2 (permalink)

There's a few differences:

696- Dual swingarm, 696 CC engine
796- Single swingarm, 803 CC engine, nicer seat, slightly higher (1/2" I believe), red frame, nicer wheels, wider tires.

Well worth the extra $1,000 IMO. I went with a 796 over a 696.
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 5:07 pm   #3 (permalink)

The single swingarm and red frame did it for me. Oh and the extra 107cc's are nice too.

It's an awesome bike.
RLSinOP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 5:43 pm   #4 (permalink)

Had the 796 was out when I got my 696, I would have no doubt gotten the 796. There are moments, however rare, that I wish I had just a little but more umph behind the bike. I think the SSS justifies the 796 by itself.
CRG Gold Shorties
CW Tail Chop
Comfy Seat
DUCATIHIBBZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 8:01 pm   #5 (permalink)

The M796 also has an oil cooler. It's a no-brainer decision in my opinion. The only exception I'd make is if you are really short and don't fit the bike.
asherrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 8:05 pm   #6 (permalink)

Unless you knew both bikes very well, or rode them back-to-back, I doubt you'd sense the power difference. It's there, but it's subtle.

I like the single swing arm, but I prefer the overall color scheme of the Dark Stealth, so it was the 696 for me. I've never had the throttle fully open so I guess I've never needed more from the engine.

In this case I think it's a question of aesthetics. And perhaps budget.
elambo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 9:41 pm   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Unless you knew both bikes very well, or rode them back-to-back, I doubt you'd sense the power difference. It's there, but it's subtle.
Even if you're not riding it hard the torque difference is noticeable, particularly off the line at low RPMs. I never got crazy on the M796, so I can't speak for how it feels when you wind it up.
asherrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Aug 31st, 2011, 8:13 am   #8 (permalink)

Out of the 796 models though ..... are there any major differences between them? I think they all have ABS but they just recently added traction control?? not sure. anything else?

im already set on a 796, but didnt know if getting a Used one is better or a 2011 model
Jmartin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Aug 31st, 2011, 9:26 am   #9 (permalink)

The 796 has the sss and a different crank/piston/rod setup giving it a few more mm of stroke which adds to it's power... Same bore though. Also a differently designed seat

Other than that, they are pretty similar
DoWorkSon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 7:44 am   #10 (permalink)

Came from an 02 M750 a couple of years ago to my 2011 M796 and love it. I ride a Road King on a daily basis so no comparison but by far the most fun I've ever had on any of my bikes.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.