For Bimota to rise like the Phoenix...for the n-th time - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2017, 11:09 am Thread Starter

For Bimota to rise like the Phoenix...for the n-th time

I am trying to find out the latest news on the current state of the Bimota but all I could find is this 8 months old article: Bimota in Trouble with Pierluigi Marconi?s Recent Departure? | Cycle World

Not very encouraging to say the least. My opinion is that its time for a Bimota to find a new home in the fold of a large manufacturer's brand portfolio. Same as what Audi did for Ducati.

it appears that having a premium motorcycle brand in a portfolio is becoming sort of a trend with European car manufacturers or maybe because of the newest technological developments at making motorcycles less risk prone the car giants are seeing strong future sales for motorbikes.

BMW was the first such major player, with its Motored division. In BMW's case it was the bike division that came first, but it survived thanks to its innovative car division and Nuklasse in particular. Audi acquired Ducati and now the Duc brand is stronger than ever!Just think of how many ownership changes it had gone through including Cagiva and none were as instrumental into building Ducati into a powerhouse it is today.

Mercedes Benz had a one night stand with the MV Augusta via their AMG division but woke up the next morning in the arms of Castiglioni and realized that it had probably way too much to drink the night before. Now MV Augusta is being courted by an investment consortium... hmmm, well one of the investors does own several bikes so he is qualified, right??!! I believe that we have not seen the last of Mercedes in attempts to acquire premium cache on 2 wheels.

I can envision several options for Bimota. One possibility would be acquired by VW-Audi and coming along the Bugatti wing. This would put Bimota in the category of hyper premium motorcycles where the air (and clients) is rare but Bimota will be back to doing what it does best: creative use of carbon fiber and other lightweight materials combined with the latest in chassis development. Ducati will be the natural drive train supplier, but the separation in price points and Biota's usually severely limited production run will keep Ducati and Bimota brands and market shares separate. Of course, at that point Bimota will cease to exist as an option for us mere mortals, just like anything with a Bugatti emblem on the grille but at least we will know the brand is alive.

Second, and for me a more acceptable option is to keep Bimota all italian meaning that the brand could be acquired by Marchionne. Finding a suitable power train will be a bitch, doubt that VW will allow sale of Ducati power plants to Fiat. With slew of Ferrari engineers at his disposal and his pride on the line, I am sure that Sergio will find a suitable solution. Plus, there is always an option of using Rotax power plants until an all Italian unit can be successfully marketed.

Most of the above is speculation and ramblings of the aging Bimota fan. With so much history behind a brand that truly reshaped the motorcycle world it would be a shame to see it perish in the annals of history...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2017, 8:55 pm

I didn't know Bimota still existed.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2017, 9:17 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc96cr View Post
I didn't know Bimota still existed.
It has been on and off thing with the Bimota, but lately I can't get a pulse...

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2017, 12:32 pm Thread Starter

seems like few dealers in europe are taking new bike orders but theres nothing definite about the delivery dates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode