http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Motorcycle Forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Sport Touring

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 11:38 am   #1 (permalink)

DP ECU #96515104B for 2004 ST3

I am in the process to fixing my lean running bike. It just is not happy at low RPM's & the mid range is better, but still not happy. I have not done the open air box or K & N filter yet, I just have the Fast by Ferracci pipes with the stock ECU. I have read some threads that others have there bike running great with the stock ECU, yet my bike is not there. I would like to put the DP ECU on it, I am finding that the DP #96515104B is not made any more by Ducati.

Does anyone have a new virgin DP ECU #96515104B for sale? No dealers have it, Bobby @ Desmo Porsche has the 06 & 07, I understand it is no longer available. I guess I can go buy the Termi kit, but why just to get the ECU. Or can I still get the Termi kit?

If not I guess my options are a Power Commander or Dobeck Power Card. Moss Motors is right up the road from me so I may want their product.

The bike is ok when I ride solo, but to 2 up, it is not fun for me or the passenger.
1998 900 FE #179, 2004 ST3, 2007 S4RS Monster
MAZDuc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 9th, 2010, 1:14 pm   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAZDuc View Post
I am in the process to fixing my lean running bike. It just is not happy at low RPM's & the mid range is better, but still not happy. I have not done the open air box or K & N filter yet, I just have the Fast by Ferracci pipes with the stock ECU. I have read some threads that others have there bike running great with the stock ECU, yet my bike is not there. I would like to put the DP ECU on it, I am finding that the DP #96515104B is not made any more by Ducati.

Does anyone have a new virgin DP ECU #96515104B for sale? No dealers have it, Bobby @ Desmo Porsche has the 06 & 07, I understand it is no longer available. I guess I can go buy the Termi kit, but why just to get the ECU. Or can I still get the Termi kit?

If not I guess my options are a Power Commander or Dobeck Power Card. Moss Motors is right up the road from me so I may want their product.

The bike is ok when I ride solo, but to 2 up, it is not fun for me or the passenger.
Did the dealer adjust the lean settings via the VDST software? You need to do this when changing pipes or airbox flow. You might also have them reset the CO values and balance the cylinders if not already done.

As for getting the DP ECU, call up DNA and raise holy hell. You won't be able to get the Termi kit anymore (Remus actually, who no longer makes the cans), but tell Ducati that it is complete bullshit that they can't sell you a new ECU when it takes them literally 10 minutes to program the part and ship it out.

When I got my Termi kit for the SC, the ECU was programmed by hand, and included a hand-written label with the part number, so I know it can be done.

There are plenty of us, myself included that would freak out if our DP ECU shit the bed, as we can't get replacements any more (even through Desmo Porsche). This to me is very, very weak of Ducati on something that should be a slam dunk. It's not like we're asking to have it for free, even paying retail, Ducati's attitude is that they won't do it even though the process is very simple.

DNA's phone number is 408-253-0499, dial "0" when it asks you for an extension and talk with customer service.

If you want to contact Ducati S.p.A. directly (which I would do as well), you can contact Mrs. Simona, or CÚline via the tech@ducati.com email address.

You could also send them a fax directly at 0039.(011-3024150), if you don't wish to email.

Give 'em hell!

Current pastimes:

2004 ST4s

Last edited by RedST; Mar 9th, 2010 at 5:49 pm.
RedST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 3:21 pm   #3 (permalink)

The bike was sold to me w/o stock pipes, and w/o a stock seat. The last service was done at 6 k miles by Modesto Ducati.
I assume everything was for that service, only note by Modesto, dry chain.

The bike now has 9k on it & I just replaced the belts, which were old. I am trying to do everything my self, so I guess I go out and buy the VDST software & see where the bike is at.

I will call Ducati NA, to see what is their take on this. I have been hearing people getting a new ECU for a recall, but Modesto said all the campaigns have been done on this bike.
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 5:19 pm   #4 (permalink)

My ECU was replaced under a service bulletin. What that means is, if you have a problem it was replaced. It was not recalled. Do a search on this forum, you will find the service bulletin that you can show your dealer. I had to educate my dealer as well, they didn't know a thing about it.

2004 ST3 surging
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 5:53 pm   #5 (permalink)

Another thought that I had, is that people should be supporting the various (state and federal) initiatives to enact a "Right to Repair" law.

With such a law, it would be possible to compel the release of the ECU code if the manufacturer offered no support for people that bought the DP ECU and it later failed.

http://www.righttorepair.org

Current pastimes:

2004 ST4s

Old Mar 9th, 2010, 8:17 pm   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE84 View Post
Did the dealer adjust the lean settings via the VDST software? You need to do this when changing pipes or airbox flow. You might also have them reset the CO values and balance the cylinders if not already done.

On open loop models, one doesn't really need to do that if just adding slip ons. At least that was my experience. The closed loop models are different and do need tweaking re ecu/PC's etc.

Frank, '05 ST3, (Red!!)
"Veni, Vidi,....Ducati!!"
stryder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 10:03 pm   #7 (permalink)

Hello
If you have a DP ECU that works well for you (or any ECU, for that matter)
and you intend to keep your bike for a while, sending the ECU to be "cloned" by Desmo-Porsche might be worth considering. Better to do it while you can, not to mention that you can then share the map with your fellow Ducati riders.
Beats trying to convince DNA to "build" you one at some mega-inflated price.
Just a thought....

'03 sT4s ABS (sport TOUR)
'02 St4s (SPORT tour) w/ MBP Testarosso heads, DucShop Crank w/ Carrillo Rods, Pistal Pistons
'05 S4R - #2Son is Wheeliein'
'07 S4RS - Work in Progress
'03 ST4S-RS Moving past conceptualization......
'80 BMW R1050S Hybrid Cafe (gotta get back together soon...)

"It ain't really "yours" until you've MODIFIED it!"
guido is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 10:21 pm   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by guido View Post
Hello
If you have a DP ECU that works well for you (or any ECU, for that matter)
and you intend to keep your bike for a while, sending the ECU to be "cloned" by Desmo-Porsche might be worth considering. Better to do it while you can, not to mention that you can then share the map with your fellow Ducati riders.
Beats trying to convince DNA to "build" you one at some mega-inflated price.
Just a thought....
I just talked to Bobby (Desmo Porsche) & he did not have a DP map for the ST3, I may have misunderstood him.
I called DNA today, just to stay on the line, ringing into CS & no pickup.
I guess it I'll put stock cans on ride it & work on getting the FBF Cf pipes to work at a later date.
Ducati dealers are telling me that the part # 96515104B is no longer available as are the DP kit, Pipes, Air filter & ECU. I guess I can go to Fast by Ferracci & pay them $1300 for their programmable ECU, not!
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 10:24 pm   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J9Fred View Post
My ECU was replaced under a service bulletin. What that means is, if you have a problem it was replaced. It was not recalled. Do a search on this forum, you will find the service bulletin that you can show your dealer. I had to educate my dealer as well, they didn't know a thing about it.

2004 ST3 surging
I talked to many dealers about the bulletin & it like a deer in the headlights. I do not think I will be able to go that route, there are no DP ECU to be found anyway.
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 10:25 pm   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryder View Post
On open loop models, one doesn't really need to do that if just adding slip ons. At least that was my experience. The closed loop models are different and do need tweaking re ecu/PC's etc.
When my ST was delivered, I had already ordered and had the pipe kit installed. This was before there was a suitable race ECU for the 2004 models (which I later acquired). At the time of delivery, I did ask what was done to the ECU because of the new pipes and airbox. The answer was that they did need to readjust all of the things I mentioned. I remember asking the tech if it was better to take off the airbox mods and wait for the full DP ECU, and he said that it didn't matter, as they would still need to readjust for just the pipes.

Guido, that's something to think about. Possibly if I get some down time to pull the ECU.

Current pastimes:

2004 ST4s

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.