03' ST4S Headlight Upgrade - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Sport Touring

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 10:16 am   #1 (permalink)

03' ST4S Headlight Upgrade

Had the bike out the other night for a while and have to agree the headlight does suck bigtime. Other than the pricy Ducati Design replacement unit, what has anyone done to upgrade?

My thought is to run heavier wiring and a replacement bulb

Bill
03' ST4S
smokinduc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 12:28 pm   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinduc
My thought is to run heavier wiring and a replacement bulb
I wouldn't waste my time. You'll notice a slight improvement and...your headlight will still suck. The problem is in the lens/reflector design. The DD Headlight is a complete solution and costs less than a set of pipes.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 12:37 pm   #3 (permalink)

The Ducati Designs headlight is worth every penny in performance, fit and finish. I installed it last week, and I am thrilled with the way it looks. They make a great product. I wouldn't bother with any other changes to the stock light fixture. The DD lights are even better than my Harley Electra Glide multi-unit lighting system.

joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 2:13 pm   #4 (permalink)

That looks familiar, I installed one last week too. I haven't had the occassion to test it at night yet but everyone says it's great. I wonder why both bulbs don't come on at high beam though, it does when you flash the highs while on low. Too big a draw for the charging system?

I only have one small complaint, it is a high quality item but I'm not into the Ducati logo dot look and unfortunantly they cleared over it. It was a thin coat and being in the sign biz I peeled it off and duplicated it in real gold so it at least looks better. I wish they would put the vinyl on top of the clear though, maybe let the buyer choose colors.
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 4:01 pm   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperST4
I wonder why both bulbs don't come on at high beam though, it does when you flash the highs while on low. Too big a draw for the charging system?
I wonder if you have it wired correctly? The high beam comes on in addition to the low on my fixture.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 5:52 pm   #6 (permalink)
Still needs a life.

hi/lo beams on at the same time

Whether or not both beams come on at the same time is a function of the headlight switch. My first Euro switch did not allow the low beam to come on when the high beam was on, so I took it back to Ducati Seattle and traded it for one which does. I don't know why there are two different types of switches unless it has to do with the laws of various countries.

The last I knew, the Ducati Designs headlight shell is available in an unpainted version if you want to do something different with it.
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 6:18 pm   #7 (permalink)
Ducati Designs

You can easily modify the existing left-hand switch cluster so the low beam stays on all the time. A nickel's worth of solder and 15 minutes tops. Maybe your bike came from Europe, or Canada, or even outer space, where they don't allow both lights to run simultaneously.

I'm sorry that you didn't care for the sticker embedded in the clear. I would have been happy to make up the shell without it. Maybe next time!

pg

Paul Geller
Ducati Designs, LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperST4
That looks familiar, I installed one last week too. I haven't had the occassion to test it at night yet but everyone says it's great. I wonder why both bulbs don't come on at high beam though, it does when you flash the highs while on low. Too big a draw for the charging system?

I only have one small complaint, it is a high quality item but I'm not into the Ducati logo dot look and unfortunantly they cleared over it. It was a thin coat and being in the sign biz I peeled it off and duplicated it in real gold so it at least looks better. I wish they would put the vinyl on top of the clear though, maybe let the buyer choose colors.
pgeller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 7:00 am   #8 (permalink)

Hi Paul, great headlight! The gold dot looks cool on it and matches a few gold dodads I put on it, it was not a big issue but if I ever get a ST4s I'll contact you on that.

My headlight was always on, I installed the euroswitch so I could turn it off during startup. I wonder if the wiring could be made to power both during high beam? That's what I get for being cheap and not getting the $200 factory unit.
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 7:20 am   #9 (permalink)

Paul, did you see all the Ducati Designs headlights in photos of the East Coast Rally? You should be so proud. Yesterday, Brian calls me up and says he modified his ST2 headlight by removing the reflector and WOW what a difference, BUT not as powerful as your DD headlight, Dave!!!

The DD is the standard others are measured against.
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 8:06 am   #10 (permalink)
Ducati Designs

Dave,

Still a long way to go! Thanx! At the recent west coast Madness, 80% of the pre-04 bikes had a DD headlight. Lotsa bug-eyes!

Removing the reflector? Your friend probably meant "removing the cutoff shield", which blocks light above the horizon on the low beam. Helps a little, but probably dazzles oncoming cars (if one can be dazzled by a candle).

Jim,

If by "euroswitch", you mean the left switch cluster for european bikes (that has an on-off switch), yes, that can be modified. Only one wire needs to be moved so low beam is powered all the time, rather than after the hi-lo switch. If you need a hand, ride on down to Portland and I'll do it for you.

Ciao!

pg
pgeller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.