To Dzus or not to Dsuz? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2017, 2:01 pm Thread Starter

To Dzus or not to Dsuz?

Hi,

Every time I have to do maintenance on the bike I end up replacing three or four wellnuts, that my local dealer (never a better use of alternate meaning of a word!) sells me for like $3.50 a piece (yes, I know there are cheaper ones!).

Not only that, the wellnut that snaps is usually the last one I'm tightening, so I have to take down all the other screws to take off the fairings and replace it.

On top of that, the STs require removing pieces of fairing for pretty much anything. adding oil, coolant, replacing fuses, battery work, you name it. Perhaps it's time to take the Dzus route.

Has anyone done the conversion? Does it require mods to the fairing pieces?

Does any of you have a good supplier for good quality fasteners and not the cheap stuff sold on eBay? I see Desmotimes sells them for $6 (male) and $9 female, but I seem to remember someone was selling kits a long time ago and they were cheaper (or so I think).

Also, Desmotimes sells 14 mm and 17 mm Dzus. Which ones do I need? Which one to replace each type of wellnut on the ST? (M5 and M6).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

PM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2017, 2:17 pm

The Dzus fastener is a system of components and sizes. If you can figure out a diagram, you can order any combination you want from A/C Spruce and Supply. If you need a one part number solution, you can stay in the motorcycle industry and get them from a repackager.

2001 Monster S4
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2017, 2:22 pm
Mr Leakered

Garage
First, don't go to the dealer for wellnuts. The Duc ones seem to harden and fail. The ones that I bought from desmoparts.com stay soft and the brass insert doesn't come free, plus they are less than $1.00 each. I have only had to replace a couple of those in the last 9yr / 80k. Also, take a look at his SS fastener kits. Dirt cheap for what you get. The kit for the STs include longer dash panel screws, which really help with that middle one.

If in a big pinch, I believe that you can get wellnuts at Ace hardware also.

You shouldn't need to pull the fairings, just the dash panel, to fill the coolant.

Anyway, you can grind off the two hidden tabs for the two vertical fasteners on each side fairing. That allows you to pull the side fairings in about 5min without touching the upper fairing.

For those reasons, I see no need to mess with Dzus fasteners.

Have a good one.
beemerboy and spikey1973 like this.

tony b
2001 ST4 - Thumper
2013 Ural GearUp - Taildragger

Last edited by tonered; Jun 12th, 2017 at 3:43 pm.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2017, 2:23 pm
Still needs a life.

What model of ST do you have? New style models (MY 04 and later) don't require as much fairing removal as the older models. Some members have modified the fairings of their older models with aftermarket or home-made products so that complete fairing removal is not necessary for some maintenance.

Bill Anderson & Darkwing Duc (06-ST3s, black) Edmonds, WA. USA
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2017, 3:20 pm

Agree with comments above .... fortunately I have cheap local supply of the quality well-nuts ( brass insert , soft rubber ) and truthfully , their removal for whatever reason is a bit finicky but not a huge difficult job , gives me time to ponder on what maintenance task I am going to be doing plus I kinda like the original look .... others , obviously disagree .... .... lots of other possible ways to spend money on the old Girl eh ?
Craig

'07 ST3s abs , '72 Norton 750 combat , '07 MG Griso
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2017, 4:06 pm
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
https://www.kurveygirl.com/shop/index.php

Kurveygirl has every size you could need. They even have the hard to find OEM 916 series fasteners (right shape and color) for a reasonable price.

I have not found removal of the body work a big enough issue that I was willing to hack up the OEM fairings. Oil and clutch? Right side lower only. Fuses, coolant? Top trim pieces. Yes, the rest is a PITA, but with practice it's not that bad. Your call though. I considered it for a while myself early on. I did find a long thread on a forum somewhere (I don't think it was this one) showing an ST conversion. Lots of cutting and hacking. It looked cut and hacked for the finished product to me as well.

I know of no "kit" available to do it except the bracket that you can get a Desmotimes to help modify the top piece as Tony pointed out. I have read you don't need that piece, but again I have not cut my fairings to test it out.

If you don't over tighten the well nuts, and use a little lube on the threads, they last a lot longer that you probably think. They really only need to be snugged up to hold parts in place. I like them a lot better than the plastic tabs present on most other bikes.
tonered and mlukason like this.

Dan.
2001 900SSie (gone, but not forgotten)
2003 ST4s (The Truck)
1995 916 (Junk Yard Dog)
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2017, 4:36 pm
Mr Leakered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS904 View Post
I know of no "kit" available to do it except the bracket that you can get a Desmotimes to help modify the top piece as Tony pointed out. I have read you don't need that piece, but again I have not cut my fairings to test it out.
Just to clarify, I trimmed the panels and had the DT fairing brackets on for many years, just holding the two wellnuts. It was mentioned that it was not necessary and I never really enjoyed trying to install the fairings by slipping it between the fairing bracket and upper fairing while nosing it into the chin fairing, so I pulled them off. Life has been great for a few years now.

Here's the old post from Robert that turned the light bulb on for me:
New to Ducati with 1999 ST4

He was using Dzus clips without the brackets. That might mean using shorter Dzus studs?

If anyone wants those (unnecessary) brackets, lemme know. They're yours for just postage.

Have a good one.

tony b
2001 ST4 - Thumper
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2017, 4:37 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS904 View Post
[URL="https://www.kurveygirl.com/shop/index.php"]
I have not found removal of the body work a big enough issue that I was willing to hack up the OEM fairings. Oil and clutch? Right side lower only. Fuses, coolant? Top trim pieces. Yes, the rest is a PITA, but with practice it's not that bad. Your call though. I considered it for a while myself early on.

If you don't over tighten the well nuts, and use a little lube on the threads, they last a lot longer that you probably think. They really only need to be snugged up to hold parts in place. I like them a lot better than the plastic tabs present on most other bikes.
Plus 1 on this. My take on it as well after 11 years of ownership. Particularly the DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN AND LUBE. they do not need to be that tight. They do not loosen and I also think that some guys with cracked faring problems have routinely over tightened there well nuts......
tonered likes this.

03 ST4s ABS - 07 RSV1000R Factory
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2017, 4:41 pm
Mr Leakered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corse1 View Post
Plus 1 on this. My take on it as well after 11 years of ownership. Particularly the DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN AND LUBE. they do not need to be that tight. They do not loosen and I also think that some guys with cracked faring problems have routinely over tightened there well nuts......
Yep. The bottom fastener hole on the left fairing was broken by the original owner. There was a note in the service records to tell them to take it easy. Haha!

I do like to bottom out the wellnuts (mushroom them), but not tighten them. As said, they will not back out.

Have a good one.

tony b
2001 ST4 - Thumper
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2017, 7:12 pm

I have the brackets and even with dremel in hand I simply could not cut into my insanely expensive fairings to remove the tabs. Plus, with the wellnuts in the brackets, the holes on the middle fairings are much too big. I did some glue and spacer work to get that hole down to 5mm but just couldnt cut those fairings.

1998 ST2 "Anatra Argento" or "Ana" for short
2009 Suzuki GS500F "Deer Slayer 1." In motorcycle heaven thanks to a deer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode