Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Keycode/red key stuff

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  randy_l 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Search "Red key". Comes up all the time.

You can have black keys duplicated by a locksmith with a chip, read-writer. Then you have dupes. I did that. Simple process but locksmiths like to get the Ducati greed factor price when they can.

If you need a key set with new codes to stymie whoever has your other keys, you need more than this EBay item. Note: Even in their listing, they denote the "matching" dash part. In fact, it would be of little value with your dash and ECU.

People complain consistently that they are legitimate owners, with proof, so why can't Ducati just reset the codes with some universal solution but the solution Ducati chose is a hardware/software solution that would lack the level of security if they or anyone else could override the system. For example, an unscrupulous Ducati dealer or ex-dealer could possibly become a clearing house for stolen bikes.

#4 ·
Thanks for the help! So if I just have a couple black keys made, is there any reason I would ever need a red key and code card? The anti - theft aspect is not that important to me, the bike is insured, it's not worth that much to begin with, there probably isn't a huge black market for ST3s , and if 4 guys in a van grab it and throw it in, they didn't need to start it anyway.
I just don't want to be stuck if I lose my only key.

#5 ·
I bought a 2003 ST4S five years ago with only one black key. Sacramento Ducati dealer sent me to Paul's locks where I had two additional black keys made at a cost of $60 each.
About 6 Months ago I had to replace the ECU. I bought a used one off eBay for $100 that was supposedly never installed on a bike, which I found to be true. We put it in and now the bike runs fine. So 5 years of ownership, and have never needed a red key or code card. Maybe I've been lucky, but that's my experience, so I wouldn't stress about it, personally. Will it affect the value, when I go to sell it, maybe, I'll take the 500 off the price I would've spent and let the next owner worry about it.

#6 ·
the only thing the red key is used for is to initiate the coding procedure to code more black keys to the bike.

the only thing the code card code is used for is to override the immo should it be faulty, either via the throttle input system or a diagnostic tool, which works for as long as the key is not turned off.

getting black keys cloned is easy, getting the immo disabled in the ecu is easy. so there's no real need for either.

#8 ·
I only received one black key with I purchased my '07 ST3. I went with SOS and had 3 duplicate black keys made, which came quickly and worked well. SOS is highly recommended!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.