Shorai batteries - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2017, 9:41 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Shorai batteries

So I went into a new MC accessory shop yesterday to scope out their offerings and liked what I saw. At one point I engaged the store manager in a discussion about MC batteries given that my BMW RT's battery went south last week - almost exactly three after it was replaced. This has been my experience since I bought the bike new; battery goes bad every three years. He pitched me on Shorai, a lithium type battery as the shiznit of all batteries.

I did some due diligence and discovered that these batteries are above average but lacking in performance when the subject bike has accessories. My RT has a 700 watt alternator and some accessory features both factory and aftermarket.

I'm wondering if anyone else out there has any feedback to offer about lithium batteries in general and Shorai in particular.

Randy,
'02 BMW R1150RT
'05 ST3
'06 BMW K1200S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2017, 10:07 pm

I have had a Shorai since December 15, 2011 and it performs quite well. I also use their maintainer. You have to learn to use it by turning your headlights to warm the battery up before starting when cold.

2002 ST-4s "Dolly"
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2017, 7:43 am
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
Have a Shorai in both bikes. No problems yet. They have survived a couple periods of winter storage with only the ST4s being kept on the dedicated tender due the constant draw of the clock and immo. The 916 is just left as is. When that bike is off, it's really off. They have a very good initial capacity to start your bike quickly and they weigh nothing.

I do feel they (the technology, not Shorai) have some drawbacks and I would probably not use one in the ST if I were going to tour on it. The way they have just dropped off for some people without warning, sensitivity to over or under performing charging systems, the apparent lack of deep capacity for those times your bike may not want to start right away or the potential for catastrophic meltdown. These problems seem to be more infrequent as the technology matures, especially if you stick to the name brands and not source a bargain battery somewhere.

They weight difference between the Shorai and AGM or Lead Acid batteries is shocking. You pick one up and it feels like one of those "display" batteries you sometimes find a shops, just an empty shell.

I was definitely not an early adopter, but I am coming around. I still feel they don't belong in something like an ST if you're going to use it for multi-day trips far away from home. I have no rational reason to have that opinion, as long as your bike is working well, and I guess it would need to be no matter the battery if you're going to use it on a long trip!

Regarding accessory loads. Not somthign I personally deal with, but if you are not exceeding your generators's disposable capacity, as in what's left over after accounting for the bike's electronics and need to keep the battery charged, then I can't see where it would be any problem at all. If you exceed the capacity of your generator, I don't think the Shorai would handle the constant draw very well.

Dan.
2001 900SSie (gone, but not forgotten)
2003 ST4s (The Truck)
1995 916 (Junk Yard Dog)

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2017, 8:40 am Thread Starter

Garage
Good feedback. Yes, the weight difference is incredible and most appealing but the thought of having the electrical/charging system crap out on me in the middle of no where has me concerned.

I've been taking the ST3 out on ever increasing distance rides with the thought of doing a multi state trip. Some members here may laugh at my trepidation but let's face it, there ain't many Ducati dealers out here nor much of a support system if a bike breaks down on the road. The bottom line is that I need to learn the bike and make sure it's in the best shape possible before heading out. That means using quality parts and components.

Randy,
'02 BMW R1150RT
'05 ST3
'06 BMW K1200S
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2017, 12:40 pm

I've been pretty interested in the EarthX units. They seem like Shorai's with extra brains.

Plus the fact they can use many other chargers means I won't have to buy a specialized one and bin my current one.

'99 ST2
'07 Monster 695 - Sold
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2017, 6:56 pm

The Shorai is about $100 less than an EarthX, buy a Battery Tender Jr / Lithium for $30.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2017, 8:03 am
Prolific Poster Award

I put in a Shorai last year. I use the trickle charger to keep it up Now I don't leave it on overnite and don't fully charge it. Bike is inside in a heated garage I have started it during our LONG winter and works very ok. I left bike outside in a covered trailer for weeks in the cold weather and no problemo starting after 3 weeks.

Batteries have come a long way hoping it lasts as long as a stock battery did 6 Years, The stock battery is my emergency back up battery and powers the inside trailer lights .

Now if the Shorais were crap the net would be overloaded with people crying the blues about them.....???
Bragging rights about how little your battery weighs is a bonus.

Bad decisions make for good stories
Take my Advice, I don't use it.
2011 Red Multistrada S Touring
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2017, 1:06 pm

Garage
I've been using them for quite some time, in two Ducs, one MV and an RSV4. It's all I'll use anymore.

Goodbye RSV4 and MV Agusta. Back on a Duc.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2017, 9:37 am

They're outright garbage. Stay away.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2017, 10:12 am
Mr Leakered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDucS View Post
They're outright garbage. Stay away.
Could you give us a bit of detail on your experience? Did you have multiple failures? How was it maintained? Did you use it on an ST? In the winter? Daily rider?

I have been holding off as my ST is a commuter that sees temps down into the mid-20F in the winter and sits outside at work during the day. In a decently warm garage at night. So, I have been holding off on the LiFePO batteries until threads like this can answer those questions, esp when there have been failures.

Also, how did Shorai treat the failures?

Have a good one.

tony b
2001 ST4 - Thumper
2013 Ural GearUp - Taildragger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode