Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Shorai batteries

8K views 44 replies 25 participants last post by  herveyw 
#1 ·
So I went into a new MC accessory shop yesterday to scope out their offerings and liked what I saw. At one point I engaged the store manager in a discussion about MC batteries given that my BMW RT's battery went south last week - almost exactly three after it was replaced. This has been my experience since I bought the bike new; battery goes bad every three years. He pitched me on Shorai, a lithium type battery as the shiznit of all batteries.

I did some due diligence and discovered that these batteries are above average but lacking in performance when the subject bike has accessories. My RT has a 700 watt alternator and some accessory features both factory and aftermarket.

I'm wondering if anyone else out there has any feedback to offer about lithium batteries in general and Shorai in particular.

#3 ·
Have a Shorai in both bikes. No problems yet. They have survived a couple periods of winter storage with only the ST4s being kept on the dedicated tender due the constant draw of the clock and immo. The 916 is just left as is. When that bike is off, it's really off. They have a very good initial capacity to start your bike quickly and they weigh nothing.

I do feel they (the technology, not Shorai) have some drawbacks and I would probably not use one in the ST if I were going to tour on it. The way they have just dropped off for some people without warning, sensitivity to over or under performing charging systems, the apparent lack of deep capacity for those times your bike may not want to start right away or the potential for catastrophic meltdown. These problems seem to be more infrequent as the technology matures, especially if you stick to the name brands and not source a bargain battery somewhere.

They weight difference between the Shorai and AGM or Lead Acid batteries is shocking. You pick one up and it feels like one of those "display" batteries you sometimes find a shops, just an empty shell.

I was definitely not an early adopter, but I am coming around. I still feel they don't belong in something like an ST if you're going to use it for multi-day trips far away from home. I have no rational reason to have that opinion, as long as your bike is working well, and I guess it would need to be no matter the battery if you're going to use it on a long trip!

Regarding accessory loads. Not somthign I personally deal with, but if you are not exceeding your generators's disposable capacity, as in what's left over after accounting for the bike's electronics and need to keep the battery charged, then I can't see where it would be any problem at all. If you exceed the capacity of your generator, I don't think the Shorai would handle the constant draw very well.

#4 ·
Good feedback. Yes, the weight difference is incredible and most appealing but the thought of having the electrical/charging system crap out on me in the middle of no where has me concerned.

I've been taking the ST3 out on ever increasing distance rides with the thought of doing a multi state trip. Some members here may laugh at my trepidation but let's face it, there ain't many Ducati dealers out here nor much of a support system if a bike breaks down on the road. The bottom line is that I need to learn the bike and make sure it's in the best shape possible before heading out. That means using quality parts and components.

#13 ·
For my ST2, from Shorai direct, cost is $190. EarthX is $210 direct.

From what I gather, most recommend using Shorai's proprietary charger ($85), while EarthX's circuitry allows for more options.

I'm more curious about EarthX due to their tech and the fact they're local to me. But so far my AGM is working just fine and likely won't get replaced any time soon.

#7 ·
I put in a Shorai last year. I use the trickle charger to keep it up Now I don't leave it on overnite and don't fully charge it. Bike is inside in a heated garage I have started it during our LONG winter and works very ok. I left bike outside in a covered trailer for weeks in the cold weather and no problemo starting after 3 weeks.

Batteries have come a long way hoping it lasts as long as a stock battery did 6 Years, The stock battery is my emergency back up battery and powers the inside trailer lights .

Now if the Shorais were crap the net would be overloaded with people crying the blues about them.....???
Bragging rights about how little your battery weighs is a bonus.

#10 ·
Could you give us a bit of detail on your experience? Did you have multiple failures? How was it maintained? Did you use it on an ST? In the winter? Daily rider?

I have been holding off as my ST is a commuter that sees temps down into the mid-20F in the winter and sits outside at work during the day. In a decently warm garage at night. So, I have been holding off on the LiFePO batteries until threads like this can answer those questions, esp when there have been failures.

Also, how did Shorai treat the failures?

Have a good one.

#11 ·
Have a Shorai on the 999s and a Yuasa AMG standard on the ST, been in place for five years on the 999s. Yes, the Shorai is a hard starter in the cold, especially as I wasn't informed about the starting procedure below 40 degrees. Now it's not a problem and has never failed since I got correct instruction. I've always had the proprietary charger on it, however, and am on the second charger. My experience is that the Shorai is still a bit tricky and in need of attention. The Yuasa works every time. In a long trip, right now I still want the AMG on the bike. Maybe my lack of imagination, so be it.

The Shorai is excellent for high comp engines, and is very good for all kinds of other situations. But the ST is hefty, and I'm not so concerned about weight on it as I am on the 999s.

I have heard about Shorai issues, most of which - so far as I understand them - boil down to two situations: First, not using an appropriate charger. Second, not ensuring that the battery is isolated from parasitic draw without the charger.

Shorai — nothing but excellent service from them. I call them, they answer the phone. We chat. They identify the problem and remedy it. I have yet to talk to anyone with a different experience. When the first charger went belly up, they identified the problem, never asked for a receipt (which I was ready to produce) only the date of sale, and then sent me a replacement with excellent instructions on how to send the original back to them so I wouldn't be issued a core charge. All around, well done. No complaints.

Perhaps the only complaint I would have is - as I already said - that they did not inform me at the beginning the cold-starting procedure. I had to learn it from the shop owner I used to go to. Once that was in hand, everything afterwards was walk in the park. At this point, I can't imagine anyone purchasing a Shorai would be so ignorant as not to learn of this before the point of sale, but five years ago it wasn't so clear.

Ron

Reactions: tonered
#12 ·
..........I have heard about Shorai issues, most of which - so far as I understand them - boil down to two situations: First, not using an appropriate charger. Second, not ensuring that the battery is isolated from parasitic draw without the charger.

Perhaps the only complaint I would have is - as I already said - that they did not inform me at the beginning the cold-starting procedure. I had to learn it from the shop owner I used to go to. Once that was in hand, everything afterwards was walk in the park. At this point, I can't imagine anyone purchasing a Shorai would be so ignorant as not to learn of this before the point of sale, but five years ago it wasn't so clear.

Ron
Interesting. The dealer, actually the manager of this aftermarket accessory shop with over 100 locations, talked up the Shorai battery but didn't necessarily push Shorai's proprietary charger. In fact he brought out a far less expensive charger to compare but did recommend staying same-same. He said he uses a Shorai on his Honda whatever crotchrocket but after reading comments here and surfing the interwebs I'm seeing a constant theme; a Shorai may not work as well on bikes with factory or aftermarket accessories.

For what it's worth, the Shorai lithium battery w/factory charger is just over $300 plus tax. That's the dealer's price. I'm now trending towards an Odyssey PC680.

#14 ·
Have a Shorai on my 2003 ST4s. Never, never could get it to crank in a lively fashion. It always seemed labored. Upgraded cables, new starter motor, clean cable connections and they are very tight and even sent the battery back to Shorai for an inspection. All good. I use the proprietary charger too.

I've checked for parasitic draw. Nothing of any consequence at all.

The only thing I've not done is compared the results with a know good AGM. Too lazy I suppose.

Would I recommend it? Not for an ST variant. Weight saving is negligible vs whole package, and the price and use of dedicated charger doesn't make sense.

Only reason I have it is it came with the bike.

S

Reactions: beemerboy
#15 ·
I have used a Shorai battery since 2012. I have nothing but good to say about Shorai Customer Service and the battery’s starting capabilities.

When it works!

I currently have a 66% failure rate with this battery. The first one I bought lasted about three months. Shorai replaced it. The replacement battery lasted about five years. I replaced that battery in October 2017. That battery lasted until about March 2018. I replaced that battery with my last ever Shorai and it died ON THE SHORAI BRAND CHARGER today in June 2018. I am sure Shorai would replace this battery, but I have been let down by their products for the last time. Time to move on. Oh, just to head off questions, yes, the only charger I have ever used on any of these batteries was a Shorai charger.

Any suggestions from anybody about any battery that might last?

#18 ·
Update

I returned both the Shorai charger and battery to Cycle Gear. I replaced the battery with one that fits the BMW. yeah, I never learn. Anyway, I also bought an Optimate charger. I put the Optimate on the Shorai, and it allegedly restored the original six year old Ducati Shorai battery. That battery was installed in the Ducati and ridden. Several days later, that battery crapped out. Removed battery. Put on Optimate. Battery restored,again. Shorai charger would do nothing for it. I had two Shorai chargers. I’m thinking I might have a current drain problem besides the ECU. Something else to do in a hot garage.

The Beemer is, so far, doing well with its Shorai, but I have an Optimate battery monitor and the GPS tracks the voltage.

So, what is the problem? Are the newer Shorai crap? Are Shorai chargers crap? Is the Optimate charger the way to go?

I have no answers, yet, it I am tired of removing and installing that damned fairing!

#19 ·
Is anyone going to tell us what the correct cold weather starting procedure is, or do I have to buy a battery first ? I don’t have a friendly shop owner around here to tell me the secret.

#21 ·
I got a Shorai, and it was good for a while. It's in a 748s, in SoCal so cold start isn't an issue. It's possible the dealership ran it dead and recharged it incorrectly. That being said, it died a slow death over a couple days I could feel it coming.

In everything I read here, and in other forums it seems like you can go with Shorai if you live in consistent warm weather, and can get the Shorai tender on the bike. I never see anyone who puts theirs on a tender have any problem. But if you live in the cold, you might. If you can't tender it, you might. Might might might might....I'm gonna tap out and go with a Yussa gel or whatever standard crap they use in caveman days.

Yeah the Shorai is lighter, but I live in apartments and can't tender it so I think it's not for me.

#22 · (Edited)
I've had an older model Shorai and a recent brand new one. Older one came with button head allen screws at battery terminals. New one came with hex head bolts (same size of course).

I'm convinced the inability to properly torque the main leads to the battery with the button head allen screws is problematic. Prior to receipt of the new battery, I substituted new hex head bolts onto the old battery. It was a game changer. Keep in mind, when tightening the ends of my battery cables to various accessories, I again used hex head bolts and tightened very well.
It is needed to do so as there are as many wires as a Bombay electric street connection. Tough to get the things tight and stay that way. But with bolts at the ends of the battery cables and hooked up to the accessory wires, the new battery continues to work fine.

If you have a Shorai charger, it works well. There is a way to check the cells for consistency with each other if it is left in store mode for 24+ hours. Cells should be same or extremely close. I'll get a copy posted soon.

STeve

#23 · (Edited)
My remote Shorai install allowing for disconnect when not used

I obtained the cable from Speed cell. Just measured the approx length and placed under seat. The blue connection blocks are very convenient to prevent parasitic draw on battery when not used during the season. As you can see, the proprietary Shorai charger cable is connected to the battery to allow for it to be kept in store mode over the winter.

Speedcell web shop: https://shopspeedcell.com/collections/all

Attachments

#25 ·
Far end of cable terminates at battery box. I used small bolts to secure the various leads to the +(ive) and -(ive) ends. It allows a very secure clamping at that point. It also allows for complete removal of battery w/o removing fairing. So far, so good.

S

#26 ·
Info below from Shorai. Pics as to measuring the cells to come in following posts.

S

Discharge Rate of the Shorai LFX Shorai LFX: What Is Normal?

It is normal for the LFX lithium iron phosphate batteries to discharge to their nominal voltage of 13.2V over a period of time. The voltage drop is noticeably non-linear and drops quickly from 14.4V to 13.9V, then more slowly from 13.9V to 13.6V, and then much more slowly from 13.6V to 13.3V. Then finally, the voltage drops considerably slower from 13.3V to 13.1V. So, if you notice that initial drop in voltage at first, this is completely normal. If fully charged and then disconnected from any amperage draw, a healthy LFX battery will not drop past 13.1V for approximately one year if the beginning voltage was full charge, or 14.4V. Although I personally prefer to charge a battery with low amperage (no more than 2A) more than once a year if on the bench, but it is not entirely necessary as long as it began at full voltage before being placed in storage. I do find that my batteries can become imbalanced the longer I wait.

You can increase your capacity to the full 14.4V (7.2V for 6 Volt batteries) by completing several (usually no more than 3) consecutive charge cycles with the Shorai Charger. Press the charge button until it triple beeps until it displays a solid green light (or turns off after 15 minutes if you have a charger with the new California-mandated power saving feature). You can check with a voltmeter to determine after each charge cycle as to if you have reached 14.4V (7.2V for 6 Volt batteries). Occasionally this can be done throughout the life of the battery to ensure that it is still reaching 14.4V (7.2V for 6V batteries).

You should only be concerned if the battery voltage dropped from full charge (14.4V) to below 13.1V in less than 24 hours with no load (on the bench, or disconnected from the bike).

Best Regards,

Marianne Guarena

Customer Service & Warranty Manager

#31 ·
As I recall it was about three to three and a half feet. The gauge of the wire is provided by the company manufacturing the extended cable. Don't know what gauge it is. You can call them and ask. Steve

#32 ·
My Shorai also died while it was on a Shorai charger. It was my third Shorai, all of which have died premature deaths while using the dedicated charger. which is $80 and only charges Shorai batteries.
I have a ST4S which does not seem to have charging issues. The Shorai always worked fine on trips. On one trip to Oregon/Idaho, I lost my clutch and had to go about 900 miles without one. The Shorai had enough juice to start my bike in gear which I had to do when I caught a light I could not run or make a right turn at and it was slightly or more uphill, so no Flintstoning in neutral to pop it into gear to start it.
My latest solution was to buy an Antigravity Battery with the jump start feature which I find appealing as it allegedly protects against over discharge. I have one in a race car which is 3 or 4 years old and sits between seasons for six months but after that six months with no trickle charger, it fires up a 3.4 liter high compression Porsche race motor as though it just came off a charger.
I do use the Optimate charger at times, their trickle charger, .8 amps for Lithium batteries is about $58.00 delivered from Amazon. It will charge any lithium battery.
I just put an antigravity in my KTM 500 EXC based on my experience with the car. It weighs 1.5 pounds but has twice the cranking power of the Yuasa that came with the bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.