New owner if a 2005 ST4S with 5,300 mi - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2017, 2:08 pm Thread Starter

New owner if a 2005 ST4S with 5,300 mi

Recently bought a 2005 ST4S with 5,300 mi. from Eurosport Motors in Fort Worth, TX. Only service history is belt change a year ago ( it was a consignment sale). Runs great, but backfires excessively and stalls often on deceleration to a stop. Has Remus Titanium pipes. Any suggestions for curing either irritating problems?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2017, 3:07 pm
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
At 5300 miles, the only service that would have been due is an oil change or two and the belts because of the time component (6K miles or 2 years).

Might as well get the 6K mile service taken care of. The stumbling issue you describe should be easily taken care of with a good base line set up, which includes setting the TPS, vacuum balance of the throttles and setting CO via the fuel trim, accessible by software only on your model, and the tweaking the air bleeds for both CO and idle speed. This should be done with the service, which at 6K miles also includes checking and setting valve lash.

This has been covered in grueling detail over the years and many here do the work themselves, but taking it to a good shop is a viable option if you understand the cost involved. It's a time consuming process and labor rates will add up.

Read this to understand what's required of the base line tune. BikeBoy.org - Ducati 4V Desmoquattro Non Linear TPS Baseline Adjustment (plus ST3). It's not hard at all if you're decent with a wrench and understand what you are trying to achieve with each adjustment. You will need access to the software required to get at the fuel trim adjustment, and having a means to measure CO is a definite plus, but many go at it without. There is a procedure written somewhere that helps you get close "by ear".

The other thing you may consider if you want to get the most out of those pipes is have the race map flashed on to your ECU. You may even find it is already on there, but the PO didn't bother to do a proper baseline set up.

A proper base line set up will make these bikes run like silk, even at low revs. It is a must do.

Welcome to the forum.

Ooops! Edit: Belt change is 12K miles or two years!
Stick, cagivaduc, 44Dwarf and 1 others like this.

Dan.
2001 900SSie (gone, but not forgotten)
2003 ST4s (The Truck)
1995 916 (Junk Yard Dog)

Last edited by SS904; Jan 9th, 2017 at 7:27 am.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2017, 10:38 am

Garage
I highly recommend the shop @ AMS Ducati in Dallas. We live in Tulsa and take our 3 Ducs to AMS for service.

2012 Multistrada S Touring, Full Termi System,
2010 848 Hayden SE Full Termi system,
2004 BMW R1100S BCR, Ohlins & Staintune,
2010 Vespa GTS 250ie.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2017, 11:56 am

I've had service done at Eurosport (where you bought it) and they do a fine job also.

bob

Ducati ST4s (gen II) {Duc 900 SS-SP gone but not forgotten}
Husaberg FE 400
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2017, 12:16 pm

Bite the bullet one time and get a good baseline with a shop tune to address issues. Get the LT Snyder book and start to keep up with it. Biting off a huge chunk of maintenance on a new to you bike will be a downer and could end up with it parked in the corner of the garage. Nice (top of the line) machine and few miles, just about new.

You'll enjoy it for sure.

S

2002 ST4s, Carrozzeria, Traxxion Dynamics, AL FW,
2003 ST4$ in second fastest color, Red !!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2017, 12:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph29 View Post
Recently bought a 2005 ST4S with 5,300 mi. from Eurosport Motors in Fort Worth, TX. Only service history is belt change a year ago ( it was a consignment sale). Runs great, but backfires excessively and stalls often on deceleration to a stop. Has Remus Titanium pipes. Any suggestions for curing either irritating problems?
Have you brought this issue up with the good folks at Eurosports?
SS904 likes this.

Tom
Sophia, 2001 ST4 (Ohlins, Race Tech, Cycle Cat, Russell, etc).
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2017, 12:35 pm

Yeah, I have same year and slip on's. I didn't see any of your issues with putting on slip on's until changing out ECU to open air box, which does require all of Dan's recommendations. Once done, it now runs fine. Could be that yours is re-mapped without the same follow up work or just needs to be done for baseline. Either case, worth the expense to have it done by competent shop.

Don

2005 ST4S

Norton Commandos, 750 & 850
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2017, 3:05 pm Thread Starter

Dan,
Thanks for the thorough response to my post. I have read the bikeboy article and think it is beyond my capabilities. I hope to find a trustworthy shop in Houston to do the job. It is a long drive to Dallas-Fort Worth.
SS904 likes this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2017, 3:43 pm

I'm sure someone will give opinion of service at Houston Super Bike. Hopefully it should be close to you.

S

2002 ST4s, Carrozzeria, Traxxion Dynamics, AL FW,
2003 ST4$ in second fastest color, Red !!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2017, 4:11 pm
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
Don't know how Houston Superbikes are regarding service, but I do know they were one of the first to crack the code on flashing these ECUs! There was a time where our only option was getting a Power Commander or dumping $1000 plus into a Ducati Performance ECU, if one was offered for your bike. I have had a HSB reflashed ECU for several years now and it is perfect.

Dan.
2001 900SSie (gone, but not forgotten)
2003 ST4s (The Truck)
1995 916 (Junk Yard Dog)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode