ST2 Running on 1 Cylinder - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2017, 11:38 pm

Garage
A short circuit in the injector or wiring will often blow up the injector driver transistor due to the over current.
High voltage spikes can damage computer power supply which then damages other components due to poor regulation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2017, 4:14 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Turbomart
Have now reseated the chip, restarted the bike, still running on 1 cylinder as I suspected it would.
Yeah, a blown transistor sounds like the sort of thing it may be - does anyone know whereabouts on the ecu such a transistor may reside?
It occurs to me 6 or so months into the storage I recharged a very flat and tired battery while it was still on the bike. On starting the bike afterwards I did not notice it was running on 1, but it was displaying the flat power symptoms.
I include TDW's photo of the M16 board.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ducati_ECU.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	589.1 KB
ID:	782130  
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2017, 9:17 pm

Garage
Without a circuit diagram I'd be guessing, but I think the two transistors left hand bottom attached to the side heatsink are either ign coils or injectors, probably coils.
I think the rh 6 pin transistor is probably the injectors and lh 8 pin is for relays such as fuel pump , cooling fan ,etc.

post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2017, 3:17 am Thread Starter

Just unscrewed the ECU circuit board from its case.
Went over it with a magnifying glass. Could find no obvious problems.
Traced the injector connections to item 2 - don't know what that is.
Both circuits exhibited the same resistances.
Yeah, Turbomart, without a wiring diagram you're screwed!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IAW 16M Top.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	295.8 KB
ID:	782522   Click image for larger version

Name:	IAW 16M Bottom.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	368.7 KB
ID:	782530  
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2017, 6:18 am
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
Well, you're on to something there. That looks like a Transistor, some kind of FET, or an SCR, but you need to see a part number on it to be sure. You'd think a simple Transistor given the function. You can check it with an ohm meter, but it may need to be desoldered to do it depending on the circuit. I'd see if it could be checked without desoldering first.

The middle leg is not connected as the metal backing attached to the board is the same point electrically. You could "probably" check across the two outer pins with your meter in diode mode. If you get a short both directions, probably a bad sign! Without a PN, you're guessing, however.

Edit: Thinking about this further, if you are motivated to start desoldering components to investigate your ECU's board, I'd say try the chip first! Chips are all over eBay for little money. I have that ST4 chip and have tried to sell it a few times. You can't give the things away. There's a guy on eBay from Slovakia that sells Ducati Performance chips. Certainly they are copies, but I've used one and they do work fine. ECUs are pricey and getting harder to come by. It could be the ECU, but I think I'd error on the side of the chip first. Whatever hardware is on the board to trigger that injector, it is controlled by the chip.

Dan.
2001 900SSie (gone, but not forgotten)
2003 ST4s (The Truck)
1995 916 (Junk Yard Dog)

Last edited by SS904; Jan 12th, 2017 at 7:10 am.
post #16 of 51 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2017, 5:07 am

Hi Imagineer, I see you are also in Auckland ( where abouts?). I have had an ST2 for a year or so, and have been lurking here but your plight has prompted me to register so that I can perhaps help with an offer of swapping in my ECU. There are not many ST2's around here and I have not seen another post from an Aucklander. This makes part swapping difficult and/or expensive, so, er... maybe PM me if you want to try mine?
SS904 and imagineer like this.

Barry, Auckland New Zealand
1997 ST2
post #17 of 51 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2017, 10:55 am

I think both injectors function at the same time on the M1.6 so it could possibly be 1 transistors triggers 2 drivers. I'm sure there was a guy in Australia making micro squirt replacements at a fair price, but can't find it now.
post #18 of 51 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2017, 12:07 pm
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadie View Post
I think both injectors function at the same time on the M1.6 so it could possibly be 1 transistors triggers 2 drivers. I'm sure there was a guy in Australia making micro squirt replacements at a fair price, but can't find it now.

I think both coils / plugs spark each cycle, as in there would be spark at the same time on both cylinders regardless if it was on the compression stroke or not, but I don't see how that would work with the injectors... That would be a lot of extra fuel.

Dan.
2003 ST4s (The Truck)
1995 916 (Junk Yard Dog)
post #19 of 51 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2017, 12:10 pm
Mr Leakered

Garage
I do not believe that we have a wasted spark engine. That is usually for bikes that have only one coil, right? Even the DS motors had four coils.

I could be wrong, but I have never heard this discussed before.

Have a good one.

tony b
2001 ST4 - Thumper
2013 Ural GearUp - Taildragger
post #20 of 51 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2017, 12:46 pm
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
I don't know for sure Tony. I do remember reading it somewhere, but I have never thought to prove or disprove it. A look at the schematic is predictably useless. I world very much love at least a functional block diagram of the 1.6M ECU!

In any case I think Broadie is thinking of the 996 Superbike using the 1.6M compared to the 996 specials that use the older P8 ECU. The 996 have a duel injector set up. Two per cylinder. The P8 bike could control the injectors sequentially, only turn on the second as the fuel map dictates. The 1.6M 996 still have the duel injectors, but the 1.6M can't control them sequentially. The injectors for a cylinder are pigtailed and the fuel map has a duty cycle half that of a single injector bike. Pretty much just doubles the available fuel capacity as a single injector bike.

Dan.
2003 ST4s (The Truck)
1995 916 (Junk Yard Dog)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode