Wrist relief - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 2016, 6:26 am Thread Starter

Wrist relief

When I ride my wrists turn "out", technically called ulnar deviation. It's like my shoulders are too wide for the bike. Proper ergonomics would have no deviation, either outward or inward. I'm using HeliBars but that does not address the problem. On long rides, this is resulting in wrist pain. I don't like the idea of cruise control.

Are there any solutions that could pivot the grips 'out' so that my wrists can stay straight?

Point me to an old post, I'm sure it's been covered but I couldn't find it.

Thanks,
Nic

Nic in Western NC
2004 ST4sABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 2016, 6:54 am
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
If you pivot the grips out, if I am understanding what you are suggesting, you'll wind up having to lean forward more. That would put more weight on your wrists. The better idea is to take weight off the wrists. Honestly, you should not be resting your weight on the bars much at all. Most of us do at times, but it is better to have the back and legs support the weight, or at least learn to shift it between the back and wrists while riding on longer runs.

I don't know your personal situation, but core strength is the key to this. If you're physically able, and maybe not doing so already, hit the gym or spend the time at home doing exercises to strengthen the core. It makes a difference, riding these bikes is a physical activity and like any physical activity, it helps to be prepared for it.

Another, maybe less barbaric approach, is find some clip ons that allow you to use longer bars. If your wider shoulders are part of the problem, then wider bars to match may be helpful. For your 2004, any 50mm clip on would fit under the top clamp and provide a way to add longer bars. I don't know if the Helibars you have will allow replacement bars, I know the OEM clips do not.

These look nice.
SpeedyMoto - Tall Boys
Slowdive and NHAPHD like this.

Dan.
2001 900SSie (gone, but not forgotten)
2003 ST4s (The Truck)
1995 916 (Junk Yard Dog)
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 2016, 7:43 am

Cycle cat bar system allowed pivoting the bars outward and then further rotating the bars along their radial axis for best fit. Look for 'em on Ebay as they show up from time to time.
NHAPHD likes this.

2002 ST4s, Carrozzeria, Traxxion Dynamics, AL FW,
2003 ST4$ in second fastest color, Red !!

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 2016, 9:05 am

Garage
"but core strength is the key to this", and remember to grip the tank with your thighs most of the time taking your weight off the bars. By all means, explore other handlebar options as it seems your wrists are especially challenged but do the situps/pushups and concentrate on using your trunk muscles to hold you in place while you ride. This really makes an amazing difference in your comfort.
Slowdive likes this.

1991 900SS
1968 Honda 305 Dream
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 2016, 9:16 am

Apex makes bars adjustable in several ways. Look into them.
NHAPHD likes this.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 2016, 10:29 am

Those Apex look really nice.

There's a couple other sets out there like them.

Handlebars : The Sic Shop, Stunt Parts Store

NHAPHD likes this.

'95 M900, '87 750 F1b, '95 GL1500, '06 620/800 MiniStrada...
I think my heart valves are desmodromically activated...
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 2016, 11:14 am

Any use?.... 98 - 03 ST Handlebars, Risers and Top Triple

'89 851, '92 888 (SP4), 2001 996R, '92 888/996 project.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 2016, 12:11 pm

Those Apex bars look trick but would their lack of setback cause them to hit the fairing?
I installed Cycle Cats a few years back and had a tough time getting everything to clear. I ended up with radial master cylinders to get the lever angles right. Not perfect, but it's very close.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	810.1 KB
ID:	773018  
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 2016, 12:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockAZ View Post
"but core strength is the key to this", and remember to grip the tank with your thighs most of the time taking your weight off the bars. By all means, explore other handlebar options as it seems your wrists are especially challenged but do the situps/pushups and concentrate on using your trunk muscles to hold you in place while you ride. This really makes an amazing difference in your comfort.
+1...when my abs and core are strong, I notice much less wrist pressure. Even on my Panigale I have virtually no weight on the bars at all when I'm fit. When I get out of shape, then I start to notice more.

2007 GT1000 - 2015 1299S - 2006 999 (sold)
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 2016, 2:27 pm

Yup I'm old and slow now .... but for sure , "core strength" is the key to joy for us older guys ....I can get lazy on all the bikes with the same results .... numb , sore wrists .... once my core strength is improved , that issue is gone , no matter which bike I am on ... plus a little exercise before jumping in the morning shower is good for you / us ...
Craig

'07 ST3s abs , '72 Norton 750 combat , '07 MG Griso
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode