Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

HID Conversion... (Since I can't afford the DD's)

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  dallas_duc 
#1 ·
In an effort to improve the headlight on my ST2, I have decided to undergo the HID conversion. Here is the process that I followed (in case anyone else is looking to do the same thing).

First of all, not only is the stock headlight pathetic, as we all know, but mine was even more so as the stock projector reflector was completely burnt out.

I replaced the stock projector with one that was designed to be used with HID, but I kept running the halogen bulbs (H1). The lighting was improved over stock (a mag light is improved over stock) as the new projector has an automated cut off that flips out of the way when on high beam to give even more light in High beam. I had improved my maximum nighttime riding speed of 35 MPH with the stock equipment to a MAXIMUM of 50 MPH with just the new projector. Still wasn't good enough, though. I do a lot of night time riding in the fall and need to be able to see better at night, So I decided to do the HID thing and see what that gets me.

Halogen Low Beam followed by high beam:

I picked up a Super Vision HID Conversion kit off of ebay. 35w bulbs & ballast WITH mounting brackets. I didn't want to use Zip Ties.

I probably didn't need to, but I pulled off the top fairing just to have better access and room.

Drilled and tapped a small hole in the instrument panel bracket:

Amount mounted the ballasts there. I figure they should have enough room to shed heat up there under the screen.

The instructions say to use a 20 amp fuse for one light or a 30 amp fuse if two lights are used on the same ciurcut.

See less See more
#2 ·
Buttoned it all back up and Low Beam followed by high beam:

I'll try to post the "on the road" shots with the new lights tomorrow. After finishing it up tonight, I was starting to get a little shaky, so I figured time actually ON the bike could wait. Call me at least a little bit cautious.

-------------------------------------------------

Now, before I get flamed too bad on using a HID on the high beam, let me explain why I did. First of all, the new projector works as both low beam WITH the cut off, so as not to piss off oncoming traffic, and high beam without the cut off. In theory, with this projector, I don't even need the right side bulb. The right side bulb becomes the main High beam while the low beam basically just acts as extra light with the cut off dropped out of the way. I still have my flashing action and I still have a proper low/dip beam.

Road test to come. Now it is time for bed.

#4 ·
I have done almost the same mod as posted on my blog. I didn't bother with the main beam HID as there is more than enough light from the bi-xenon projector in the dip/main position. I am well impressed with the light output and the beam pattern.
I am in the middle of doing the same for my 848, when that is done my wifes BMW F800ST will also get the same treatment.
Bang up to date lighting technology without having to sell another bike to pay for it.

#5 ·
Crap, Bob. Why didn't you say that you used a lens from HID projector in the other thread? That is definitely the proper way to go through the conversion. Sorry about that!

Just to be clear. A bi-xenon projector is great in my book.

I will make note of that.

Have a good one.

#6 ·
That little, incandescent, marker light in the middle sure does look out of place with the HID bulbs burning. You can't even see it in the picture due to camera glare, but it sure is funny lookin'. There will be an LED change out for that in the future, I'm sure.

No night time test rides yet. Two long days followed by two late nights in a row. Hopefully tomorrow.

#14 ·
That little, incandescent, marker light in the middle sure does look out of place with the HID bulbs burning. You can't even see it in the picture due to camera glare, but it sure is funny lookin'. There will be an LED change out for that in the future, I'm sure.

I put a red led in the headlight lol and changed all my gauge lights to led. What a diff it made.

Attachments

#7 ·
The night time pictures really don't do justice to the HID's illumination. Granted, I'm using an iPhone, so the camera really isn't the best either. For the Halogens, the pictures look pretty accurate, but the difference is really night and day (pardon the expression).

Halogen Low:

HID Low: (Note the nice, crisp cut off line?)

Halogen High:

HID High: (see the tree?)

The camera simply cannot pick up the background stuff that I could see with the HID bulbs. It is just SO much better. I need to do some dressing on the wires as I had to wiggle them a couple of times to keep everything working (bad/loose connection), but that is easy to do. As it is, though, I now feel that I can safely ride this bike at night now. I went with the 6000k bulbs. Certainly have a different color bouncing off the road signs with these. Gonna have to get used to that, huh?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.