Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

St3 2005 would you buy?

3K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  Joe's '05 ST3 
#1 ·
There is a ST3 ,2005 with 21,000 miles clear title, no red key or code car.
can be had for $2800 asking price. Maybe can get it for $2500 or so.
Would you buy it? the Duc dealer said he can get the ecu re flashed for $400. so I can get extra keys made. Owner has 1 key now that works and it runs and drives fine according to him, i haven't seen it yet. If its runs and sounds decent is it worth buying or am i better off finding a ST4. The dealer said the parts are getting harder to get as its engine is not used in another models. I want it to cruse twisty roads in southern ohio. Any opinions on this?

#7 ·
It is worth that w/o wheels!!

You could always send the ECU to HSB and get a reflash for WAY less. I believe it is $250 when doing this.
The reflash eliminates the IMMOBILIZER and need for Red keys.

Yep, $250 for reflash. Here it is: Ducati ECU Flash

steve

#10 ·
well
its got wheels and tires and it runs. Heading to check it out with another guy who is fairly familiar with the ducati's. He has a ST2 and his brother owns severa Ducatisl. He's done belts and valves so he's pretty good mechanic. Sounds like if it runs and goes straight and maybe i can get it for a little less than asking price it would be a deal.
Got to figure on tires and belts at a minimum and maybe the re flash cause of the keys(no red key) may only have one black key likely. Change all fluids/filters etc. The owner got it at a auction so he doesn't have any service history. The bike was probably a repo.

#12 ·
Bought it
Drove it home
Think I'm selling my streetglide
I really like it and it needs a lot of work
Ordered new front tire slow leak
Ordered new chain sprockets , there are 2 teeth broke off on the rear sprocket
Ordered belts , no idea when they were changed.
Ordered new plugs just in case
Ordered the JT Snyder manual so I can try to service myself with help of a budy whose got a st2 and is very good mech
Going to duc store this afternoon for air filter and some misc fairing bolts/ nuts.

Rear tire is Michelin road 3 that looks like new, date code is 17/12 my busy says it's fine.
I was so excited after I drove it home Sunday evening I was in the garage tl 1:00am caressing it.
????

#14 ·
Bought it
Drove it home

I was so excited after I drove it home Sunday evening I was in the garage tl 1:00am caressing it.
????
Try not to worry, it's normal to be "passionate" about your DUC(s)!
Sounds like yer hooked!

#18 ·
Thats here good side, the left side body panel has some scrapes and scuffs as do the bags.
Its no show bike but it runs pretty good, trans shifts perfect, brakes work very well. Belts and valve clearance check and new front tire first priority. I can tend to the cosmetic stuff latter.
Want do you want for $2600. I bought it to ride twisty roads in south east Ohio , not to enter in a Bike show. Oil and filter changed out today along with a new air filter. The screen was very clean, no metal chips.

#20 ·
how many miles on yours Joe?
How long you owned it?
Is your bike Silver? is that the same as Sienna grey
Also have you ever used NGK Iridium plugs?
my one buddy says only use Champions
Any thoughts on that?

Also Got a new front tire Installed today, cleaned up the rotors and front wheel real good.
Belts arrived today

#21 ·
My bike has over 24,000 miles; I bought it in December of 2011 with 11,366 on the odometer.

The PO cored-out the stock exhaust cans. I "opened" the airbox top and put in a K&N filter, put on a "race" ECU from Houston Superbikes, put in the NGK Iridium plugs and swapped stock for Magnacore wires. That's all the engine performance mods done. I like the improved performance (I don't really know if the plugs make a difference), and my local Ducati master tech says it runs reeally well. I really like the increased sound from the opened airbox top.

LOTS of other stuff added or swapped; some for improvement and some for looks, some small and comparatively cheap and some not so.

I think Ducati calls the color light grey metallic - looks silver to me.

Joe

#22 ·
Sounds Like a nice Bike Joe. We have the same color. I kind of wanted a Red one but the Silver is Growing on me.
I've been riding a 2007 Streetglide so the ST3 feels like a rocket ship to me. 850pounds vs 400 some pounds. Cant believe how easy this thing corners and accelerates. Its a blast to ride.

#23 ·
I'll agree with the change in ride because I was riding a 1972 Harley FX in kick start only. It had been years since I'd been on anything but an HD, much less resembling a sport bike.

I kept the HD until I sold it about a year ago; it needed to go because I wasn't in love with it any more.

Silver might be the only color for the 2005 ST3.

Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.