Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

St2 Hiccups

825 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  nortonmarg 
#1 ·
I just recently put in a Fast by Ferracci chip and the bike runs much better between 4 and 5,000 rpm. Today I rode down to the Quail Lodge event, no issues on the way down, coming home, about the time I got to Santa Cruz 17, 4 times the bike momentarily felt like the ignition had shut off. Didn't last long, but had me wondering if I would get home or not.

Thinking it might be a vapor system issue, I stopped and added 2.5 gallons of fuel. It did it once or twice more and then was fine the rest of the way home. I kept the revs a bit higher at first.

The first two times it happened, I was climbing in top gear, 4500 to 5000 revs, 70 to 80 mph.

What should get looked at? sensors? evap? some electrical component? This doesn't sound like a self correcting problem that will go away on it's own.

Bike has stock compression, opened air box, stock mufflers and a throttle tamer. I did get a back fire once last week after putting in the new chip. Old chip was an Ultimap for much louder slip ons. I know there was some little thing you were supposed to turn a notch or two if going back and forth between the Ultimap and the stock chip. Ferracci said no adjustment was needed with their chip. I suspect that means it should be in the "stock" position, perhaps not where it is now.

See less See more
#4 ·
ST2 Hiccups

The chip did go in recently, but as it ran well after adding gas, and so far hasn't done it since, I'm thinking along other lines in the troubleshooting path. It was 4 incidents within about a half an hour. I'm sure it is somehow electrical, but at this point, not enough is pointing at the chip as the culprit. I am an electrician and troubleshoot electrical issues frequently, just not electronic stuff.

I'm curious if there is something that can be diagnosed in a shop and I can always put the Ultimap or the stock chip back in later.

G
#3 ·
I had this happen to me on a ride and had to turn around.I went straight to my tech on that sat. and he plugged and checked everything till he went into the regular fuse box while it was attached to some meter and tapped on it to simulate high speed vibration and then bam,Found it.The Engine fuse just cracked in the middle,it would stay together until high rev's,A stupid fuse,check your's friend...:)

#5 ·
I had this happen to me on a ride and had to turn around.I went straight to my tech on that sat. and he plugged and checked everything till he went into the regular fuse box while it was attached to some meter and tapped on it to simulate high speed vibration and then bam,Found it.The Engine fuse just cracked in the middle,it would stay together until high rev's,A stupid fuse,check yours friend...:)
There doesn't seem to be a fuse specifically for the ignition, but I will ask which one it is. I will change the main to start with. Excellent suggestion, as an electrician, more than once I've replaced main circuit breakers when people were having brown outs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.