Ducati ST3/ST3s Stalling/Surge Fix's - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Sport Touring

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 9:34 am   #1 (permalink)

Ducati ST3/ST3s Stalling/Surge Fix's

Good Known fix's for stalling/surge problems!

Hi all, I've read many posts and have posted about my own stalling and surging problems.

These actions have helped.

For 2006-2007 Ducati ST3 or ST3's, out of crate standard O2 sensor with matching ECU.

For surging and or stalling at stop signs and roll on/off throttle problems! Try this!
1) have your Throttle Bodies rebalanced, using a mercury balancer or digital balancer.

2) Adjust the front cylinder air screw to full clockwise close position and set the rear cylinder air screw to 1/8 turn counterclockwise from full closed position.

Results: for me were great no surging above 3,000 RPM and no stalling issues.

Ducati does have another method they are using too, for bikes that can not be corrected by the dealer. They are installing a Performance ECU and removing the O2 sensor. The dealer then adjust both air screws to mid point per what I was told and using the Ducati DDS unit they adjust the O2 ratio to a negative value. Which the Performance ECU understands and remaps per this means.

Results: Good rollon/rolloff throttle response, no surging, good cruse control at low revs 1500-4000 rpm and 0-100MPH response great

Both methods work well with standard exhaust ect.

I hope this helps you all. It has help me(07DucatiST3)!
cycledood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 20th, 2007, 4:08 pm   #2 (permalink)

I've tried something like this (your method) with similar results. I have vert. bleed screw a bit more open then that, probably almost 1 turn. Thanks for the post.
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 2:26 pm   #3 (permalink)
Fly

Reading through the posts regarding this issue is very confusing.

My '06 ST3s ABS is afflicted with the surging curse. The bike is currently at the dealer...I hope (but doubt) it will be fixed the first go 'round.

Per the dealer, the alternator nut (issue addressed in service bulletin) was not properly fixed by another dealer. (The bike makes a LOT of mechanical noise.) I doubt this will fix the surging problem though.

It sounds like some bikes can be fixed simply by making adjustments while others need an ECU replacement. Is this basically the long and short of it?

Any further clarification would appreciated.
2003 BMW R1150RT --- sold
2006 Black ST3s ABS --- sold
2005 Silver ST3 --- sold
2004 BMW R1150R --- sold

Last edited by Fly; Jul 23rd, 2007 at 2:35 pm.
Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 7:27 pm   #4 (permalink)
Blame the universe not the tank!

Is there a Ducati web page about tech updates

just from reading your post... I have an 06 STs, was not aware of an alternator nut issue. Does ducati post or inform owners via mail? Or is there a ducati web page that covers issues with each bike?
Gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 7:36 pm   #5 (permalink)

You usually have to check with your dealer to see if your VIN is affected by any of the campains.

Try this home-cure-all: Shove a DUC between your legs.

Present DUC: 2003 ST4S Yellow! 2001 ST2 Blue
Past DUCs: 1998 ST2, 1981 500SL Pantah, 1985 MHR Mille, 1987 Paso Limited, 1995 916 mono
Other brands (past):
1978 BMW R100RS Motosport, 1978 R100S, 1981 Moto Guzzi V50 Monza, and a long list of Hondasakizukis
Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 8:25 pm   #6 (permalink)
Blame the universe not the tank!

Shhhhhh....

that's about as bad as the whole surge issue being kept under wraps or at least where dealers reaction is, "Hmm, this is the first time we've heard of this"
Gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 7:23 am   #7 (permalink)
North Carolina, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by billg69gmc
just from reading your post... I have an 06 STs, was not aware of an alternator nut issue. Does ducati post or inform owners via mail? Or is there a ducati web page that covers issues with each bike?
When I took my '06 ST3 in for the 600mi. service, the service manager said they were going to go ahead and do the alternator nut re-torque as well. I got a call from them a few hrs. later telling me that they had loosened the nut, then discovered that they didn't have the correct holding tool to re-torque it! Could they keep the bike a few days? No real problem, except that this dealership was 250 miles from my house. I had ridden up there for the service, and was waiting to ride it back home, and I absolutely had to be at work in the morning.

Anyway, they worked on the problem literally all day, and at 5pm I picked it up. When asked, the service manager told me they had ended up wedging a different tool against the alternator to keep it from turning and were able to re-torque it. He also said that they had only seen a handful of ST's in their shop -ever-, and that's why they didn't have the correct tool. This surprised me, as the place was a small Duc/Triumph dealership in the mountains, so there should definitely be no shortage of different bikes for them to work on. My bike is still running fine, now with about 2k miles on it, so I guess nothing was fudged up, but I think I'll look for a more sport touring oriented shop for the DP kit install and future services.
mollycbr123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 11:53 am   #8 (permalink)
Fly

My bike ('06 ST3s) has now been in the shop for over two weeks! For the alternator nut issue I mentioned earlier here...they waiting on the nut.

What do you guys think the odds of this fixing the surging issue are? My bet is it won't.

Thanks.
2003 BMW R1150RT --- sold
2006 Black ST3s ABS --- sold
2005 Silver ST3 --- sold
2004 BMW R1150R --- sold
Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 6:26 pm   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

i'll bet you're right. i keep putting off the alt nut thing because i'm afraid my bike will start surging!

'10 Multistrada 1200 red
'12 Monster 696 ABS red (for daughter)
'13 Hyper SP
thelumox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 8:19 pm   #10 (permalink)
North Carolina, USA

my 0.02 on the DP kit

I had the chance to ride Doug's (dmrst) '05 ST3 with the DP kit installed, to compare it to my stock '06. Doug's bike definitely has more power and is smoother off idle and through lower rpms. Not a hint of leaness or surging. By contrast, Doug said he got the feeling that he would be pitched over the handlebars when starting out on my bike. Once we got up to speed, however, it was hard for me to tell any real difference in performance between the two bikes. To me acceleration and smoothness above 4-5k rpms felt about the same on both. The CF pipes do sound nice though.

Worth $1400 bucks? I'm not quite sure, yet. If I spent a lot of time in traffic, stop and go, low speed and minimum throttle settings, then the kit definitely makes the engine more user friendly. Once up to speed, it's hard for me to see a real difference, purely from a performance standpoint. I might better spend the money on a GPS and other goodies.

One interesting detail, Doug's bike also seemed to run consistently about 10-15 deg cooler than mine. I'm pretty sure this can be attributed in part to the more generous fuel delivery from the DP kit. I suspect that this might also have an effect on the long term life of the engine. From that standpoint, it might be money well spent after all.
mollycbr123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement