Lowering an ST3? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Sport Touring

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 1:17 pm   #1 (permalink)

Lowering an ST3?

As I totaled my Multistrada (long story), I am in the market for a new bike. I am a confirmed Ducati addict, I admit it! Once you have one, there's no going back.

I'm looking for a more comfortable ride, something with better forks/shocks. Adjustability is nice, but not critical. The MS620's biggest failing was a suspension that felt every tiny bump. I love doing distances, but at the same time I don't want some fat, heavy thing that can't corner worth %*#@.

So... the ST3 looks great here, and I will soon be test riding one. The other candidate is a Monster, probably the 1k for the better suspension. Two different bikes, I know, and I have read with great interest the thread here comparing the two.

The biggest draw for the Monster for me is the riding height. I am 5'10" and can two foot the taller MS's fine, but I would like something my wife could ride. She is 5'4" and would be uncomfortable if she couldn't plant both feet. I'm pretty sure she can two foot the Monsters.

Looking at the stats, the ST3 is lower than the MS, but still taller than the Monsters. An inch or two makes a big difference. Can the ST3 be lowered with shock/fork adjustments, and how much? Maybe lowering the seat or getting an aftermarket? Would doing such a thing significantly alter the handling?

Thanks for any info!
dandrewk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 2:45 pm   #2 (permalink)

Suspension adjustments aimed at lowering the bike will adversely affect handling. In my opinion, the best thing a short person could do would be to learn how to ride the bike putting one leg down at a stop. I'm short. I can't quite reach to put both feet down when the bike is cold. After I have ridden it for a while, the shocks seem to warm up and the bike settles down a little lower.

When I first got the bike, I practiced a lot of low-speed maneuvering - riding through city parks at 15-20 mph until I got familiar with the thing. Now the bike and I are a pretty effective team. I often put the right leg down at a stop light and leave the left one at the shift lever.
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 5:13 pm   #3 (permalink)

Lowering an ST3 might not be a good option. You would lose clearance for the center stand, making it more difficult to use and the angle or length of the side stand would need to be looked at as well.

I'm only 5'8" with a really short inseam and I was a bit uncomfortable with the ST3 in the beginning, but I have gotten used to it. I still can't get both feet flat even when wearing my riding boots. I do find the bike is balanced well enough that it hasn't been an issue.
Good luck, Bill W.
ducsbill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 9:42 pm   #4 (permalink)

Thanks. I pretty much thought that any sort of artificial lowering wouldn't be advisable. I'm hoping the softer seat on the ST3 will allow her to be more comfortable, even with the suspension set at its lowest setting.
dandrewk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.