Bike No Worky - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Sport Touring

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 3:07 pm   #1 (permalink)

Bike No Worky

I'm looking for some input on non-running ST4s. I just got back from a ride where the bike just quit on me. I attempted to start it once I got pulled over and it turns over well but just won't start. While cranking it seems to turn over faster when I open the throttle. The dash appears to work fine; the clock is operational, fuel gauge looks right, temp gauge is reading properly.

It seems like a fuel pump problem but I'm very worried that its the ECU. At this point I haven't been able to diagnose anything as its still at a dealer that picked it up for me.

Any thoughts?

thanks, Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 16th, 2012, 3:25 pm   #2 (permalink)
Mr Leakered

Fuel line popped or split. Seeing a lot of swirling action with the lid open and the key turned on will usually confirm it.

Curious, do you recently fill up? It seems to happen most often with a full tank.

Have a good one.
tonered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 3:30 pm   #3 (permalink)

If not a burst or spit off fuel line in the tank, it may be that the crank position sensor is swarfed up, and needs to be wiped off. Good luck.

Frank, '05 ST3, (Red!!)
"Veni, Vidi,....Ducati!!"
stryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 3:33 pm   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonered View Post
Fuel line popped or split. Seeing a lot of swirling action with the lid open and the key turned on will usually confirm it.

Curious, do you recently fill up? It seems to happen most often with a full tank.

Have a good one.
+1 on that... if it were the ECU I would expect to see coughing and stumbling on start up with either an extremely lean, or rich running condition...

Listen for the pump priming when you turn the key to see if you hear anything at all... if you don't, try swapping the relays (fan to fuel pump) to see if that gets it the pump working....
ducati_750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 3:42 pm   #5 (permalink)

Could be the pump. We trouble-shot a stranger's ST4s at the Dragon a couple years back. Gent filled up, bike didn't start. No F.Pump noise...traced voltages all the way to under the tank connector. Finally slapped the tank while he turned the key on--pump came on, and he was a very happy camper!!

Try this home-cure-all: Shove a DUC between your legs.

Present DUC: 2003 ST4S Yellow! 2001 ST2 Blue
Past DUCs: 1998 ST2, 1981 500SL Pantah, 1985 MHR Mille, 1987 Paso Limited, 1995 916 mono
Other brands (past):
1978 BMW R100RS Motosport, 1978 R100S, 1981 Moto Guzzi V50 Monza, and a long list of Hondasakizukis
Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 3:46 pm   #6 (permalink)
Mr Leakered

Ducatidiag will also run a long fuel pump test that you can peek around while it is running.

Have a good one.
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 3:54 pm   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the quick replys. I did just top off the tank 2-3 miles before it quit. I did stop at a bike shop for about 10 minutes between the fill up and having it quit. I was also in the tank this winter to replace the fuel filter so its certainly conceivable something came off in there.

I'll be sure to check all of that when I get it back home.
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 4:00 pm   #8 (permalink)
Mr Leakered

I’ve had to learn to really crank down on the hose clamps. More than I feel okay about.

Have a good one.
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 4:20 pm   #9 (permalink)

replace the front left relay....or swap it with the one below and see if it fires.

2002 Ducati ST4S
volleykinginnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 10:38 pm   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by volleykinginnc View Post
replace the front left relay....or swap it with the one below and see if it fires.
This +1

Or try the fuel pump relay under the seat.
Advertisement