What price love...how much do you have into your ST? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Sport Touring

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Oct 9th, 2011, 12:20 pm   #1 (permalink)

What price love...how much do you have into your ST?

So this week I sunk another $2,300 into my beloved 2004 ST3, and it got me to thinking, "when does an expensive toy become an obsession?

I purchased my ST3 used in spring of 2006 for $6,300. It was low miles, less than 4K. Today i have over 32,000 miles on the ST3--it is oneof three bikes I own, (the one i ride the least, so i guess on an annual basis I'm a high miler).

Over the course of the five years I've owned the ST3, I've put $9k of upgrades and $4.5k in maintenance. upgrades go the gambit from complete suspension upgrade, 5 spoke wheels, EBC petal rotors, leo vince exhaust, carbon fiber front and rear fenders, new paint job, aluminum swing arm and everything else that made an ST3 into an ST3s.

All in I have easily $20K in this bike.

Upon reflection, this seems like a lot of money to me for what is in essence a mid-tier sport-touring bike. For that same 20k I could have easily purchased a used Honda VFR in pristine condition plus a well taken care of 999 or early model 1098.....

I am crazy, or just crazy in love?

What do others have in to their beloved STx?

Last edited by levine98; Oct 9th, 2011 at 12:24 pm. Reason: Want to
levine98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 9th, 2011, 12:24 pm   #2 (permalink)

I'd say just plain crazy unless you are very wealthy, in that case I'd say crazy in love.
Old Oct 9th, 2011, 12:51 pm   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by levine98 View Post
So this week I sunk another $2,300 into my beloved 2004 ST3, and it got me to thinking, "when does an expensive toy become an obsession?

I purchased my ST3 used in spring of 2006 for $6,300. It was low miles, less than 4K. Today i have over 32,000 miles on the ST3--it is oneof three bikes I own, (the one i ride the least, so i guess on an annual basis I'm a high miler).

Over the course of the five years I've owned the ST3, I've put $9k of upgrades and $4.5k in maintenance. upgrades go the gambit from complete suspension upgrade, 5 spoke wheels, EBC petal rotors, leo vince exhaust, carbon fiber front and rear fenders, new paint job, aluminum swing arm and everything else that made an ST3 into an ST3s.

All in I have easily $20K in this bike.

Upon reflection, this seems like a lot of money to me for what is in essence a mid-tier sport-touring bike. For that same 20k I could have easily purchased a used Honda VFR in pristine condition plus a well taken care of 999 or early model 1098.....

I am crazy, or just crazy in love?

What do others have in to their beloved STx?
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikrichard View Post
I'd say just plain crazy unless you are very wealthy, in that case I'd say crazy in love.
My wife would argue "just plain crazy"....she is rarely wrong on these matters.

In defense of myself (I'm the only one who would ever defend me) if you factor out maintenance, the bike has cost me about 16K. While no bargain, I would argue it is a very much better ride than a standard ST3s re: better suspension, exhaust system, clutch, custom seat, brakes, and carbon components.

Still, that is my opinion, we already know where my wife stands on the matter and she gets the final say in our house about who is sane and who is not....
Old Oct 9th, 2011, 12:55 pm   #4 (permalink)

How much have you spent on the other bikes each [or % of their value?]

That should tell you something.
1973 850 Commando
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2011, 1:17 pm   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by what broke now View Post
How much have you spent on the other bikes each [or % of their value?]

That should tell you something.
Other than maintenance, nothing. I have a BMW K1200K (used). No mods.

Other bike is a Thruxton 2006, also purchase low miles used. Less than $500 worth of mods if that.

So I guess I'm crazy in love.....am I the only one on this board who is obsessed with their STx?
Old Oct 9th, 2011, 2:47 pm   #6 (permalink)

I am not a very good data point, I have spent only for a custom seat for my 4s, and it was very close to stock when I bought it used. By my lights, she came with sufficient diamonds and furs, and not saying I don't love motorcycles, there is one in my livingroom. [but not the 4s].
1973 850 Commando
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2011, 2:52 pm   #7 (permalink)
Let's Ride!

You are not alone my friend, many of us have spent enough on mods to purchase the bike again.

AMA Member
1998 Silver ST2$
Motto Guzzi G2 Moped

va duc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2011, 3:28 pm   #8 (permalink)

I got the 2002 ST4s for free through the Washington State Lemon Law. To date I have spent $22,836.29 not including license fees,fuel and insurance. This is for parts, add-ons and maintenance. I keep an Excel file on all this stuff.
Old Oct 9th, 2011, 4:00 pm   #9 (permalink)

Wow thats alot of money to spend on an old bike!! Then again it's a bike that is now to your liking! I bought my ST4S last year for 3200 and this summer the main bearings went on it I did think about breaking it for spares and adding some cash to get another bike, but then I thought that I would probably be lucky if I get about half the money back for the parts I sell and with the extra 1000 I had to spend on the repair I would not get near the bike I wanted.

Anyway I spent 1000 in parts plus the tools to do the job and some upgrades (rear spring) and now I have a bike I know alot about!! And so far has been a joy to ride.

John
Yamaha SR250 1995 "Yama"
mw0dbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2011, 5:46 pm   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw0dbb View Post
Wow thats alot of money to spend on an old bike!! Then again it's a bike that is now to your liking! I bought my ST4S last year for 3200 and this summer the main bearings went on it I did think about breaking it for spares and adding some cash to get another bike, but then I thought that I would probably be lucky if I get about half the money back for the parts I sell and with the extra 1000 I had to spend on the repair I would not get near the bike I wanted.

Anyway I spent 1000 in parts plus the tools to do the job and some upgrades (rear spring) and now I have a bike I know alot about!! And so far has been a joy to ride.

John

Agree, it is an old bike, and aging fast given the lack of a dealer network and limited to no aftermarket parts. That said plenty of folks still love driving 20 or even 30 year old Itailian and German sports cars...no money in that, we maintain old bikes and cars because we love the way they make us feel when we drive them.

Still, I've not found another bike I like as much to do all day fast rides. I used to be a fan of the Triumph ST (1st generation). Once I rode the Ducati though there was no going back. While the Triumph has a great engine, the set up and suspension doesn't come close. I also like the VFR (last generation, not the new ones), but was not a fan of their under powered motor.

The Ducati ST is still, even in it's aged form, still the best of both worlds---super sporty when you need to rip in the twistys but comfortable enough to do a 500 mile day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement