Battery? Or something worse? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Sport Touring

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 6:36 am   #1 (permalink)

Battery? Or something worse?

I dropped my ST3s on the drive
I was lifting her off the centre stand, messed up and over she went onto the right hand side.
Assessed the damage in daylight the next day: minor scratches, detached mirror and broken screen as far as I could tell. So I order a new mirror spring and a double bubble and finally fitted it all last night.

The bikes been stationary on the drive for about 10 days now, I hadn't even thought to check that the engine ran and when I went to ride her to work this morning I got nothing when I tried to disarm the alarm. No time for careful trial and error of the issue, I didn't want to set the alarm off by trying the ignition and I was already late so rode the other bike to work.

Anyway, after all that my question is: Is it likely that my bike battery has died after 10 days of inactivity or could I have damaged something more serious when I dropped her. I'm pretty sure that I was able to disarm the alarm since the drop since I manoeuvred her off to the edge of the drive where she has sat ever since.

Following on from that, having never required a charger on my monster and therefore having no clue on how to use one, can I get one that will plug into the accessory socket under the seat or do I need to do something more complex to charge her up (and will charging this way set my alarm off?)

Thanks
MikeyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 26th, 2011, 6:50 am   #2 (permalink)

Charge your battery, see if it starts.

Frank, '05 ST3, (Red!!)
"Veni, Vidi,....Ducati!!"
stryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 7:23 am   #3 (permalink)

Thanks
I don't have a charger yet, and before I go buy one thought I'd see if I might have done something else.
Off to Hein Gericke I go then
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 11:43 am   #4 (permalink)
Still needs a life.

With an adapter, you can plug a Battery Tender into the accessory port to charge the bike.
http://www.powerlet.com/product/batt...ging-cable/261
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 1:04 pm   #5 (permalink)

Can you borrow a buddy's charger? Just an idea...
Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 3:38 pm   #6 (permalink)

I bit the bullet and ordered an optimate this afternoon, with an adapter cable so that I won't need to remove the fairing next time I want to charge her.
Got home, dug out the manual for the alarm and found that after 10 days the alarm goes to sleep. I'd try and start it tonight to see if it's all good but if I am wrong then the alarm will be going off under my sleeping daughters window... Fingers crossed for tomorrow, and thanks for the suggestions.
Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 6:11 pm   #7 (permalink)

@ stryder

If I buy the powerlet adaptor you referenced, should I verify any wiring prior? Just being paranoid but thought I would ask.
If you can tend battery this way, why do others add a separate pigtail to their bikes? Don't all STs have the powerlet?
Kierantaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 7:22 pm   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kierantaylor View Post
If I buy the powerlet adaptor you referenced, should I verify any wiring prior? Just being paranoid but thought I would ask.
If you can tend battery this way, why do others add a separate pigtail to their bikes? Don't all STs have the powerlet?
I think you're reference Bill's post. It's an accessory plug that the battery charger plugs into and then it plugs into the bike. No wiring required *AFAIK.* I think all ST's have accessory outlets. Mine is under the left side, under seat panel. Yours is probably there too. Since I lost my charger's accessory plugs wire many years ago, I have pig tails hooked up to my battery. Using the accessory plug would be easier.

Frank, '05 ST3, (Red!!)
"Veni, Vidi,....Ducati!!"
stryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2011, 10:24 am   #9 (permalink)

Not all of them had it. 1998 did not have it for sure. Somewhere around MY2000 I think it became "standard" on ST2, ST4
Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2011, 7:04 pm   #10 (permalink)

Mikey F

Eager to hear if the battery tender worked?

Also wondering why these bikes need so much battery attention. I know that parts corrode or fail, connectors need to be tight with dielectric, etc. but is there a design flaw here?

I rode home tonight in the dark for the first time (had the bike 4 days) and noticed (beyond the crappy lights) that the lcd screen was flickering based on RPM. Kinda has me worried that its not getting the power it needs...

Anyhoo, eager to hear if 10 days of no charge is your culprit as I don't think a bike should do that if the battery and related systems are functioning...
Kierantaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement