ST2 Starter Solenoid/Relay - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Sport Touring

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 5:52 am   #1 (permalink)

ST2 Starter Solenoid/Relay

Hi guys - looks like I need a new starter solenoid for a 2000 ST2 - had a look through a few threads and did the shorting across the terminals and bike started first time but what I really need to know is what alternatives there are to the OEM solenoids - would I get one from Halfords / a motor factors or do I need a ducati one? ( its the Hitachi MS5A-181 ,I think,stickers a bit worn ) Is it possible to get the tin cap off and maybe clean it up a bit? Take it if I stuck 12v onto the 2 small connector terminals I would hear it clicking? (electrics aren`t my strong point ! )Had a quick look on fleabay but nowt jumped out at me - also , how much am I looking at for one roughly?

Thanks in advance , Pete.
Petedia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 6:44 am   #2 (permalink)

CA Cycleworks

I don't know anything about Halfords (never heard of them, I assume that they are a British firm?), but I replaced mine with a Yamaha unit that CA Cycleworks sells. See my previous post on this:

It will not stop cranking?

(Down near the bottom of the page).
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 7:33 am   #3 (permalink)

just make sure when its on the bike, that the trigger wires are clean and positively secured to the solenoid. I have seen them wear loose and get replaced out of haste to find they are fine, but the wiring connection is getting tired.

just check it first. 12v trigger to the two small terminals, then with your multimeter you should have continuity across the two big terminals, with power and no continuity without power

cheers
steve998s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 8:00 am   #4 (permalink)

Hi Pete,
If you work with ebay the here are a couple of numbers for you.
190522502937 is a monster item on a buy it now for 16 + P&P 3.73
or 380343030586 is an ST type for buy it now 21.98 P&P 3.52 from Germany.

or you could try Ducati Glasgow parts department if you want to buy a new item the are on 01413330996
I doubt Halfords wouldn't have a part you are looking for.

hope this helps you.
Tim
Puffin64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 9:15 am   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for your replies folks - have just bench tested relay with an old battery and it seems to be switching fine now so will stick it back in bike tomorrow and see how it goes - its possible the connector was maybe not making properly as I`d had the battery in and out loads of times through the winter to try and keep it charged up and its worked its way out - not like me to jump straight in without checking things properly ! Will post back tomorrow - if anyone`s interested lol
Old Jun 4th, 2011, 4:40 am   #6 (permalink)

Still no joy - relay back on bike but seems to struggle under load , sometimes theres absolutely nothing when start button pressed but it will eventually kick in and start - just. Anyway,got one on order from ebay(thanks Puffin) so will see how that goes when it arrives.
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 3:54 am   #7 (permalink)

Being miles away from any dealership here I bought a similar sized solenoid from a local marine store.Apparently outboard motor installations use several such solenoids.
A fraction of the cost of a Ducati one and has worked faultlessly for past 5 years.Its just a switch capable of taking big currents like in numerous other 12v applications.
ColinF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 3:40 pm   #8 (permalink)

Well,fitted other relay and still had the same problem but for some reason I flicked the kill switch a few times and its now starting every time ! Will clean up contacts at w/e but hopefully thats all its been - Doh! Still,you live and learn............
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 4:09 pm   #9 (permalink)
Mr Leakered

Regardless, your diagnositics are way less expensive than a dealer.

Have a good one.
tonered is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 1:44 am   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petedia View Post
Doh! Still,you live and learn............
A new solenoid on a bike over 8 years old is not a bad idea

Looks like these days I just learn, this week I rounded two bolts, took an hour to get the LH control gear back on and found my tyres were 10 PSI low

2002 ST4S

Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.