Cylinder head nut wrench - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Sport Touring

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 11:37 am   #1 (permalink)

Cylinder head nut wrench

So...I'm doing my first valve clearance check.....

Checked all the clearances. They're all over the place with less than .05mm on both horizontal closers. So I moved the opening rocker out of the way, removed the opening shim, secured the valve (like LT says), got the half rings removed. The door bell rang, startled me - I jumped, knocked everything and lost the inlet valve down the hole and into the cylinder.

No big deal, as the radiator is off, and the oil cooler, guess the front head will come off too. I'm changing the belts as well - by the way, the cam tensioner bearings have lost their end seals, so need replaced too - ..

Finally, my question --- I obviously need a cylinder head nut tool. Any recommendations? I see that Motoreva make one. Perhaps a thin regular ring/open wrench. The right side nuts seem to have limited access.

Or perhaps somebody knows how to turn the bike upside down and shake the valve into place.....

David

1966 250 Mark3
2004 ST3
kaysystems is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 5th, 2011, 1:24 pm   #2 (permalink)
Life is too short to worry !

I thought the piston was supposed to be at TDC on the cylinder being checked in order to reduce the pressure and as a by-product prevent the valve dropping ?
Goldvalves , Re-sprung rear Ohlins , Tapered headrace bearings , Galfer Front Discs , Open airbox with K&N filter , Iridium NGK's with Magnecor Leads , 15/42T Cogs , Helibars with Oxford heated grips , HID Lights , CRG 'Stubby' Levers , Zero Gravity DB Dark Screen , Twin-Tone Fiamm Horns plus a bunch of 'detailing' modifications.
Gearbox is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 1:30 pm   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearbox View Post
I thought the piston was supposed to be at TDC on the cylinder being checked in order to reduce the pressure and as a by-product prevent the valve dropping ?
Yes, when checking the clearances, but the valves must be open to be able to remove the closer shim, so the crank must be turned. Perhaps I had it in the wrong position.

David

1966 250 Mark3
2004 ST3
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 2:54 pm   #4 (permalink)
Mr Leakered

It's much easier to just pull the belts. I've used the harmonic method to set the tension several times now. It is a piece of cake, literally. Plus, it allows you to work easy on the shims.

Have a good one.
tonered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 3:24 pm   #5 (permalink)

simple head nut wrench. us a 14 or 15 mm combo wrench (size depends on the size of your head nuts). put the box end in the vice and heat up the shank with a torch about 1/4 - 1/2" out from the box end and bend to aprox 45 deg angle. Heat shank again but this time aprox 3/4 from the first bend. Shank should end up a 90 deg from box end. Now place the open end of the wrench in the vice and heat shank as close to the box end as possible and bend 90 deg. You should end up with a wrench that's shaped kind of like a U. Grind a little bit off the face of the box end to make it thinner so it fits into the nut area of the head easily. Now weld a old socket that fits your torque wrench onto the top of the open end of the wrench. Presto, you now have a dealer service tool knock off.
Attached Images

Old Jan 5th, 2011, 3:42 pm   #6 (permalink)

Also you can use this link to see all the service tools for your yr/ model bike in the parts fiche. Ducati Omaha - Ducati OEM Parts Ordering System - Parts Fiche
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 3:58 pm   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducat View Post
Also you can use this link to see all the service tools for your yr/ model bike in the parts fiche. Ducati Omaha - Ducati OEM Parts Ordering System - Parts Fiche
OEM tools were my first choice, then I saw the price.

As I don't have a welder, I could simply bend a wrench like you say, and then use a 14mm hex key through the wrench into a socket. That should work.

Thanks for the details..

Going to try to make a tool to lift the valve into position and get it into the guide. I have some ideas.

David

David

1966 250 Mark3
2004 ST3
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 8:31 pm   #8 (permalink)

wrench . . .

I bought a 15mm crow's foot box end from Snap-On & ground the box end slightly to get it onto the head nut. Cheap enough and it works fine. Torque wrench fits in the 3/8" drive square hole.

Fred

1996 900 SS/SP #B52 +stainless lines +BT 023 +custom bar-end mirrors +39T rear +DT case saver +custom footpeg brackets +4 ga. starter cables +Nichols engine bolts +Rotella T6 5w-40 +Sharkskinz +Hella 'eurospec' headlight +MBP collets +12vdc socket +high & low beam fused relays +short rear turn signals +crossframe brace +modified airbox +748 front rotors +loud horn-fused relay +4.5" rear wheel +160/70 tire +39k miles
FredSmoot23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 9:31 am   #9 (permalink)
Site Sponsor

As Tonered said, "pull the belts when changing shims". You can then keep the piston at TDC and the valves will stop before falling into the cylinder. Very important!
Mike

www.emsduc.com
ducatimike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 7:41 pm   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatimike View Post
As Tonered said, "pull the belts when changing shims". You can then keep the piston at TDC and the valves will stop before falling into the cylinder. Very important!
Mike
I originally tried this but couldn't turn the cam all the way round. Thought a valve was hitting the piston.
But it turns out that the closers are TIGHT, so I was feeling friction on the closing lobe. Yikes no gap....not good

Anyway all is not lost. I thought for a couple of days, made a simple tool from things I found in the kitchen drawer and 8 minutess later the valve had been pucked up and fed back up the guide (horizontal cylinder inlet). Re-installed the collets. All is good.

David

1966 250 Mark3
2004 ST3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.