Project save the Bastard Paso - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2015, 3:32 am Thread Starter

Project save the Bastard Paso

Well, as "luck?" Would have it, I am out of town working with lots of time in airplanes, airports, and hotels, so I am starting the write up on my Project Save the Bastard Paso. In this previous thread Thoughts on a possible project Ducati? I asked for advice on whether I should undertake this sad old Ducati Paso offered to me. I was given plenty of wise advice instructing me to run away very fast, or burn it, thanks chuckracer!

Lord knows I do not "NEED" this project. But the more I looked at it in the garage, the cooler it started to look, (to me anyway). That and I have the coolest woman who indulges my passions and stupidity. So I pulled the trigger and picked up Il Paso. I have been working on it for some months now, in between redoing the motor in the Multi . So I am now posting up this little build project for the dust bunnies here in the Paso sub forum.

I realize she will never be restored, too much is missing (so purist avert your eyes). I am trying to bring it back into good condition, as a rider, when the wife or I want to have a go on something a little different. (Besides, it fits her pretty well too). Since I started writing this she now picked up a yellow monster today…apparently the important part is it’s yellow…sheez! I also do not want to invest a fortune in what will never be worth much, but hopefully be a fun bike from time to time, and most important, a little different from everything else. Damnit this is taking forever to figure out how to resize and embed photos... At least I'm learning something new, eventhough 3rd graders can do it in their sleep ....lil Bastards

2011 Multistrada TUNEBOY equipped Dry STM slipper clutch... and some tricky bits inside the motor
W/Real Ohlins manual TTX shock and 30mm TTX cartridges & BSTs

Last edited by TiDuc; Jul 9th, 2015 at 3:37 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2015, 3:56 am Thread Starter

So I begun with stripping it down to the frame, the sq tube frame Ducati (at least that's rare-ish).

Since this bike was obviously tracked I was worried what I would find, how hard had she been down? Amazingly, the frame was in great condition, no indication of it sliding along a track or tacky welded repairs. I found one captive nut welded to the frame that had popped loose, but was just a shoddy factory weld. Quick tack with the TIG and good as new. Another shocking find was every bearing, (swingarm, links, steering head) were in excellent condition adjusted a greased....that was unexpected, but a big yeah! Much to my neighbors amusement, I hung the frame from the clothesline and had some Ducati Anniversary red mixed up and then squirted the frame in the great outdoors. I really like erector set frame in red. Big improvement IMO.

Got the motor back in the frame and mocked up with the Marvic rear wheel. Even got a picture of the Ducati Power-Lifting Team who helped Dad lower the Paso off the landlord's dresser. Now, we're cooking along. Thank you Ladies!

2011 Multistrada TUNEBOY equipped Dry STM slipper clutch... and some tricky bits inside the motor
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2015, 5:38 am
It's evil. Don't touch it.

Garage
Nice transformation. (Insert Bruce Jenner joke here )

Keep the updates coming.
Wonway likes this.

2005 ST3
2003 749s

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2015, 8:13 am

Garage
Subscribed.

tt

"why ask why"
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2015, 8:35 am Thread Starter

Bloody Hell, this embedding images takes forever…or I am doing it the hard way

Meanwhile, back at the motor, I decided to open her up and see what was going on in there, she ran well and sounded good, even had 140 psi compression. Really I was just curious, because I was told the owner had a 900 top end in it...seemed unlikely and sure enough . Stock bore, stock stroke, and factory pistons (from what I gather the earlier high compression ones). I am not even close to a Paso expert, so I am constantly looking up information on what this bike should have. Hard to find much info on them, but what you do find is often very conflicted, but all part of the experience. Bores looked great no scuffing and cross hatch still clearly visible, appears to have very few miles since it had been honed last.

Another surprise in the heads, valves all in spec and all the rockers had been resurfaced, not to mention the internals were absolutely spotless inside, no gunk or crud collecting. Tensioner bearings perfect.

For some reason the left oil cooler had been deleted, using only the single cooler. The y fittings just plugged off. Maybe it does not need 2 when tracking the bike, verses sitting in traffic idling. I believe I will locate another cooler. I can see no disadvantage to more oil cooling capability

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2015, 8:57 am Thread Starter

Clutch completely shot and slipping on the test ride miserably. Was tough tracking down new disks...+ $400 from the states, but searching Italian Ebay found them for $118 in Naples. Was shipped and received in less than 48 hours! (BTW...even though you see "fits all Ducati dry clutches"...that shit ain't true)! It's a weird clutch the way the springs are under the pressure plate and the slave built into the clutch cover....all Ducati clearly do not use the same stack height either.

The Weber carb long gone, it had these crusty 40mm Delortos, Check out the fine safety wire and springs holding it together. What about that sweet air intake scoop, looks like it was made from a beer can.

The however cleaned up very nicely.

The cables are pretty much shot and custom made ones are pretty pricy for what you get....I'm still thinking about what route to go with them as well as the lack of air filters. There is just not much space for filters in here. I'm sure I'll locate some pods small enough, until then looks bad ass with the polished trumpets. So with the engine back together, and some serious cleaning the motor repainted. I decided to brush the fins and the belt covers (horribly hacked up) and the valve covers with a brushed aluminum finish and clear coated. I think she is starting to look the business. Somehow the brushed finish has made the hack job on the belt covers more palatable in my eyes, so for now they stay as is

The headers were not the factory 2-1-2 but a 2-1. No markings what so ever on them, but craftsmanship is very good. And after a bit of cleaning are good looking stainless steel. Not sure what to do with the muffler....it's a little rough, and I'm just not feeling it yet.

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2015, 11:42 am
Tightly Clenched...

Very cool.

Instead of the hassle of embedding the photos you should use a host site like Photobucket or similar then you can just paste the IMG links directly into the text and the pics will appear. Much easier, you just have to upload the pics to the host site.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2015, 12:24 pm
Temporary greeter

Garage
Looking good. Keep the pictures coming!

1994 888 LTD #61 DVT
2014 KTM Adventure R with duct tape mod v1.0

Ducati.ms ECM photos
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2015, 12:41 pm

Garage
Great job and good for you bringing a Paso back to life. I would love to have one of those things made out of unobtainium

Marc

2014 Ducati MTSGT, 1994 900SS/CR, 74 Eldorado Police, 64 R50/2, 14 Ural, 14 Hyperstrada
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2015, 9:59 am Thread Starter

Satansfist- I tried that but, I am on the road a lot and flippin IT guys make it hard to use those hosting sites….So I am stuck doing this the hard way, at least for me.

I got a bunch more pics to post up. I just need some more time. Last night I did manage to get the fuel tank ready to be epoxy coated…about 50 sheetrock screws and lots of acetone and dancing around the driveway trying to shake a bright red Fuel tank for a half hour ….I know my neighbors are certain I’m out of my f’ing mind. Surprised they let the kids come over to that “crazy dudes house”!

And it appears some Paso parts are Unobtainium.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode