Garage
I keep looking at this one.

tt

1988 Ducati Paso 750 Limited

"why ask why"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2015, 5:02 am Thread Starter

Work on the Paso has been progressing slowly, I just have not had much time to update the posts, so here is what I did last night:

I was very worried about the wiring since it has an aftermarket ignition switch and even cut off the ring around it on the top triple clamp. Then there's the fact, it has no factory dash. Just an aluminum plate with foam glued on, a tachometer and oil temp gauge. And a row of idiot lights (unlabeled). But so far aside from the dash, the original harness is intact and unmolested in good condition.

As for the instrument problems, I found this unit from Trail Tech. It has speedo, tach, odo, ambient, engine temps, shift lights, warning lights and indicators lights, all customizable. And surprisingly affordable...cheaper than trying to ebay a bunch of old Paso crap that likely doesn't work anyway. The company was helpful getting me the info I needed to ensure I could adapt it, but would not ship it to me in Italy. Kind of a pisser, but Amazon to the rescue! Cool piece of kit which I hope works as good as it sounds on paper.

I knocked out a simple Stainless bracket to incorporate the ignition switch and the new dash. The angle looks about right, but once I get the tank back on it and can sit properly I have room to put a break in the bracket and angle it upwards if needed. But so far looks like it will be just fine…I have not put any indicators lights in yet. I am almost done with rewiring the bike. Still need to sort the mess that was at the back of the dash.

2011 Multistrada TUNEBOY equipped Dry STM slipper clutch... and some tricky bits inside the motor
W/Real Ohlins manual TTX shock and 30mm TTX cartridges & BSTs
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2015, 5:37 am
It's evil. Don't touch it.

Garage
Looks like a really great job you're doing. It's good to have a project.

2005 ST3
2003 749s

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2015, 10:22 am

Great job, never thought i'd say this about that abortion of a box tubed frame but painting it red made a hell of a difference! It has long been known what that gorgeous fairing hides...

'77 RD-400
'03 FLSTF
'06 Sport 1000 Yellow
'04 XL1200R
'07 999s
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2015, 4:44 am Thread Starter

Now, back to those wheels, yes somebody has fitted 17x3 front and 17x5.5 wheels to it. That is wonderful, since I can buy decent rubber (has a 1990 set of Pilot Race in soft compound now). However, the wheels are Marvic magnesium wheels, really old, and not looking so good.
And how about that sporty homemade rear rotor?

I contacted Marvic about refurbishment, sent some photos and they substantiated my fears, they strongly advise not to use these wheels, the corrosion potential is too high, the magnesium is far to brittle at their age and very very dangerous. So in the market for wheels, without blowing Paso budget. However this complicates things, since the sprockets and carrier appear to be proprietary and do not fit other wheels. Guess what? those cool 320mm full floating rotors and carriers, also proprietary, (definitely do not fit Ducati wheels....6 bolt 100mm verses 80mm). So now I need wheels, brakes, sprocket, carrier.

2011 Multistrada TUNEBOY equipped Dry STM slipper clutch... and some tricky bits inside the motor
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2015, 4:46 am Thread Starter

Found a 900ss 17x5.5 rear with carrier and rotor off Ebay $43 shipped! I’m on my way to rolling, and stopping. It arrived and luck was on my side, came with a brand new 38T 525 sprocket on it, (exactly what was on the Marvic wheels. SCORE!!! Found another EBAY gem, front wheel from a ST3 3.5x15 complete with rotors; looks crappy….but I looked very close on line and those sure look like 320mm floating rotors. Unfortunately this one cost $300, but I got lucky again, it was dirt and looks like came off a bike with badly leaking fork. The rotors are Spiegler 320mm full floating rotors way over min thickness and the offset spacing was correct too and fits with my calipers and spacers…

Then off to the Bearing house with my pile of p[arts and 44 euro later all new wheel bearing for both wheels and sprocket carrier. I pulled the floating rotors apart and honed them, looking good as new.

I am stripping down the wheels to paint them now. I was having a hard time with color, so for now instead of powder coat them I am going to go with a GOOD gloss black paint job on them. Eventually maybe I’ll pull them and powder coat them.

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2015, 4:54 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcasella View Post
Great job, never thought i'd say this about that abortion of a box tubed frame but painting it red made a hell of a difference! It has long been known what that gorgeous fairing hides...
Exactly what I was thinking. In black the frame was horrendous, but the red frame made a huge difference almost makes you not want to hide it...Starting to lean towards some sort of a partial fairing verses fully hidden...still plenty of time to ponder.
jcasella likes this.

post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2015, 7:39 am

I'm hooked too. Looking forward to seeing your final interpretation. I was forced to rebuild mine after a madman set fire to it. I remember at the time enjoying the luxury that I could paint it any colour I wanted, and detail it with no limit of my imagination; a blank canvas. This is how mine turned out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank details.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	593194   Click image for larger version

Name:	nsr wet.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	593202   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear end.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	593210   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00009.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	817.2 KB
ID:	593218  
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2015, 9:24 am Thread Starter

Wow! Nicely done Paso. Very tasteful and I really like mix you used on the tank with the Champion stripe and the raised Ducati lettering. I hope mine comes close to yours. Have been gone for nearly a month working and am just getting back on it, almost done wiring it, but nothing exciting to take pictures of yet. Thanks for posting your pictures, encouragement.

post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2015, 11:40 am
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
Hey TiDuc, next duc of mine will be a paso, you realise it accepts a testastrettaII engine?! I did all measurements on a frame and engine and it checks out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode