Speaking of Paso's... - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 5:29 pm Thread Starter

Speaking of Paso's...

This is just an idle question - I'm still watching the for sale notices on ST2's and ST3's - but I got a bit curious about the 907IE's. I'm wondering if they make reasonably reliable bikes or if they're in the territory of constant care and hassle. Sure, they're older, heavier and have all that funny looking plastic on them - and they're not going for too much cheaper than an ST2 - but there's a certain appeal, for a guy who tends to like old and elegant. Does anybody have any stories to pass on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 5:52 pm

Paso

I came close to buying one a few years ago. A specimen that was in VERY nice shape, many modifications done, which many will say they need. Yet after riding it Icould not bring myself to pull the trigger. It handled slow, comfortable with an aftermarket seat on them, power seemed lacking.

I found that "if" you crash one, or even a minor low side, finding bodywork is a joke, and the bike is all bodywork. I could not find any aftermarket bodywork.

I still think that updated, rectifier some switch gear etc. etc. they would make an excellent Sunday afternoon machine.

I met many out there that racked up many miles on theirs, yet many suffered from bodywork issues. I know there are a few out there in outstanding shape, and if not abused (Sunday ride) machine they will someday appreciate.

My dealer when they were new could not sell them, I rode one back to back when I purchased my 1993 888spo, loved the look, but the handling was sadly lacking to any superbike of that era. Could not see out of the mirrors, at all.... Cool looking, but lack functionality....

I'd stil ove to have one in the garage, more to look at than to ride, especially after riding ST2-ST4s machines, no contest, but I've been working on Ducati's since the early 80's and still the love the look of a cherry 907ie....

My 2cents
M

2003 Ducati ST4S (Yellow, the faster color)
2014 Beta 450RS (Latest Italian dirty girl)
2008 Aprilia RXV550 (Sold the Beast)
2006 Ducati 999s (Sold)
2001 Ducati 996 SPS (Crashed)
2001 Ducati 748-890 (Sold)
1997 Ducati 748 (Sold)
1993 Ducati 888SPO (Crashed)
Too much Jap or British crap to mention!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 8:38 pm Thread Starter

What you're saying is pretty much in line with what I've picked up from reading various threads. I find them very cool looking in their odd way, but I'm looking for something sporty to ride, and definitely not looking for another bike I have to be careful with. I've already got the Norton, which I never want to take out if there's a chance of rain, and which I'm not ready to take on week-long trips - I don't need another bike like that <g>... Parts are also a concern - I'm already wondering how much of a hassle ST2 parts would be, and that's gotta be way easier than Paso parts. But I figured it'd be interesting to put the thread out there and see who says what.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 4:22 pm

I'd call the Paso more a gentlemen's sport tourer then anything else. If you need a daily ride, I'd look at something newer.

Many parts are shared over the years with other models, the SS especially. And body parts from the factory are non-existent. They do come up on ebay, but rarely. The fuel injection was the first model put into production on Ducati's. I'm sure they changed substantially over the last twenty years, so finding someone with experience will be difficult. The 907 is covered in LT Snyder's book, Desmo Due & Desmo Tre.

It will stand out in a crowd though. The styling was controversial, but but not nearly as divided as the 999 styling. It was Ducati's first fully enclosed fairing bike. I can't count the number of people that have said they had one years ago and wished they'd kept it.

My 906 is not worth much on the market, it's worth a helluva lot more to me though.

'05 ST3
'90 906 Paso
It's not just a Ducati, it's a disease!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 8:24 pm Thread Starter

Jack - that's an interesting way to put it. I guess I'm looking for more of a sporty bike with touring capabilities - we do lots of local sporty riding and weekend trips, plus a few trips down south for a week or a bit more. The Norton is already a gentlemen's sport bike, if not much of a tourer - and a sunny-weather daily rider, since I have a 30 minute ride to work. I also need something reliable for the longer trips. And the issue of having no way to replace any of the body work is scary - that one little screw-up could get real expensive real fast... But they do have a strong eye-appeal, in an unusual way. Thanks for your thoughts - it's helping me get the choices sorted out, and I think I'm still in the ST2 or 3 territory.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 2011, 6:56 am

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2015, 4:48 pm

Garage
If you have a sweet running Paso 907IE keep it forever. These are a classic looking bike, nothing will ever come close to its style.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2015, 4:50 pm

Garage
But its not for everyone....called a beached whale look back in the day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode