Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Milky substance in oil level window.

16K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  Wayne H 
#1 ·
I have thin milky substance in the oil level window. Is this something to be worried about. Bike is a 2013 with 4000 miles.

Thanks in advace

#2 ·
My thoughts

Moisture in oil - may be condensation. You might need to ride longer if your only doing short rides. Full operating temperature should dissipate the moisture unless there's a cooling system issue.

If you suspect such, watch your coolant level and oil quantity to see if coolant is moving to the oil.
Do a fresh oil change and start from scratch and / or do a pressure check of the cooling system to detect an internal leak.

#18 ·
Yup, what he said. We get the same question every winter about this time.

Just ride the puppy long enough so that she gets good and hot. Doing this will burn off the moisture in the oil.

FYI, I live on the Wet Coast and all my Ducs do this in the winter.

#7 ·
Mine does this in the winter. It is just moisture building up. Long rides don't necessarily rid it for me. In cooler temperature (<60F), my bike will operate at 150F which isn't enough to boil off the moisture. Ride it through town at lower speeds to get the temps up.

Note that this is completely normal and not harmful.

#9 ·
Long rides is not always the fix. I did 1500km in three days and on the third day I noticed the milkyness. It was very cold that day. Raining, light snow in one stretch and the dash temp was 2 degC.
Recommend action is to let the temp go as high as possible. Turn off the bike and open the oil filler plug to let the moisture out.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#10 ·
Check your cylinder head bolt nuts. My friend on a trip, had the lower left nut on horizontal cylinder work loose over time. Oil window looked like milky grease and would not go away. He only had like 1500 miles or so.

His was easy to see, while motor idling the nut was vibrating. The other 3 are harder to get to and require a special C shaped tool to access and torque properly.

#11 ·
If you do this I would use an accurate torque ratchet and look up the torque spec for the head bolts first. Over tightening or uneven tightening just as bad or worse than a loose one as far as the HG is concerned. In reality, not something I would DIY on an under-warranty bike.

#13 ·
Liquid cooled it could be a problem, air/oil cooled it would be the engine equivalent of chicken strips on your tires. You may not be riding hard/far enough, or often enough. Easy fix.

#16 ·
Yep happens to mine in the fall once the temps are in the 40's and 50's outside. My motor almost never heats up to beyond 145 deg in those temps unless i cover the radiator a bit. The best cure i found was to cover the top third of the radiator with some cardboard and duct tape. Gets the temps back up in the 155-165 range and no more condensation.

#22 ·
No Problem

I just rode home from the shop doing 60 - 70 mph for about 70 miles, air temp was in the low 40's, engine oil temp stayed at 150F and my sight glass window is covered with the white stuff like everybody else's when they ride when it is cool out.

But my BMW's never did this and I wonder why. :confused:

#25 ·
I think you meant your coolant temp was 150.

I just rode home from the shop doing 60 - 70 mph for about 70 miles, air temp was in the low 40's, engine oil temp stayed at 150F and my sight glass window is covered with the white stuff like everybody else's when they ride when it is cool out.

But my BMW's never did this and I wonder why. :confused:

#23 ·
The easiest way to make this go away is to take the bike for a ride, get it good and hot, then when you get home lean it to the RIGHT so that the oil window is covered with hot oil.

By morning the milky stuff will be gone, ..... until it returns, which it most likely will :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.