Hyperstrada makes weird squeaking sound when starting and shutting off - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
  • 1 Post By cloetep

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2017, 10:26 am Thread Starter

Garage
Hyperstrada makes weird squeaking sound when starting and shutting off

Hi guys and gals,

I'm new to the forum and hope I'm posting in the right place. I have a 2014 Hyperstrada 821 which started making a weird sound when you start the engine and it is still cranking and also when you turn it off. When the engine is running the sound is gone. I can also reproduce the same sound by putting the bike in gear while the engine is off and pushing it backwards so that the engine turns just a little bit. I took it to our local Ducati dealer and they recon it is the starter motor which needs replacing. I would appreciate it if anyone could either agree or disagree with them and give me some ideas of what it could be if it isn't the starter. A new starter including labor would cost a whopping $770 when done at Ducati and I would like to be 110% sure that that is the actual problem before even thinking of having it done. Below are two links to videos I took to illustrate the sound. The first video is of it starting and shutting off and the second one is where I am sitting on it with the engine off pushing it backwards to make the engine turn...

Thanks!
P

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pchxmjgl81...83259.avi?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oexejo99bz...83721.avi?dl=0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 2017, 1:41 am

Garage
Hi P,

my thoughts:

sounds like the "bearing bushing" in the starter motor. They are made from a soft yellow metal which can get contaminated from dirt and dust which makes them wear just enough to let the armature spindle oscillate at a certain speed and that's what you hear. The bearing bushes are made from "self lube" metal, means there's no oil or grease used.

Cleaning the starter out to get rid of the dust etc might stop it but it's a real pain to rebuild the motor again because of the spring loaded brushes that run on the commutator. I did mine once and it was a pain.

I've added a pic of a typical starter... not a Ducati. You can see the "bearing bushing".

Old cars use to do the same noise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A starter motor.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	801353  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 2017, 2:31 am Thread Starter

Garage
Hi Steve,

Thanks a lot for the reply. The starter motor I have is till the old 27040127A one made by Taigene and from what I have read up on there are many people experiencing problems with them and they are apparently of poor quality. So I don't think a rebuilt would be worth it anyway. And on the Hyperstrada you cannot remove the starter or even remove the starter cap without having to open the engine cover and loosen the bolts from the inside, which is a big dirty job.

Luckily Ducati changed their starter motor supplier to Denso which is supposed to be of much higher quality and according to a guy who has been working on Ducati's for years he has never heard of a Denso starter failing on a Ducati. The part numbers have also changed to 27040101A, 27040103A and 27040104A. Thus far I have been unable to determine if there is any difference between these three because they all look exactly the same. You wouldn't maybe know?

I am planning to source a used Denso starter rather than buying a new one, because you can get used ones at about a third of the price of a new one.

I am just glad that you agree that it is the starter making the noise and not something more serious. And I don't know of any bearing making that kind of noise lasting for too long still

Thanks!
P

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 2017, 7:09 am

Garage
Hi P,

no I don't know how to spot a Denso compared to a Taigene...

Same on my 1100S Multistrada - there's one or two bolts hold the starter on that are under the engine cover...

I had noise from my sprag clutch assy, that's how I came to look at my starter motor aswell - while I had the engine cover off.

Good luck with it.

Steve.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2017, 1:39 am Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Steve!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2017, 5:43 am Thread Starter

Garage
UPDATE

Hi. I'm just reporting back. I've changed the starter motor and now she's purring like a kitten. All the funny noises are gone. So it was definitely a faulty starter. No wonder Ducati stopped using the Taigene brand starters, they seem to be of very poor quality. Hopefully the new one lasts for the life of the bike. Thanks for your input!
UKSteve likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode