3/4 Throttle in all gears = bogging and surging TPS problem? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2016, 3:11 pm Thread Starter

3/4 Throttle in all gears = bogging and surging TPS problem?

My 2010 multi is cutting on and off at 3/4 throttle in all gears. I guess this is a TPS problem.

I ordered new throttle bodies with the TPS incorporated but I read in the workshop manual I need to reset the TPS or recalibrate it or something? Wondering which diagnostic tool other than DDS tool will allow me to do this with the Mitsubishi ecu?

It runs fine at other throttle positions including WOT.

Can any more experienced wrenches tell me how to fix this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2016, 4:24 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexaussi2 View Post
My 2010 multi is cutting on and off at 3/4 throttle in all gears. I guess this is a TPS problem.

I ordered new throttle bodies with the TPS incorporated but I read in the workshop manual I need to reset the TPS or recalibrate it or something? Wondering which diagnostic tool other than DDS tool will allow me to do this with the Mitsubishi ecu?

It runs fine at other throttle positions including WOT.

Can any more experienced wrenches tell me how to fix this?

One of the other members just helped me through all this ecu stuff. He had this awesome guide he made. (attached)

Also this is a link in that guide but it should have everything you need to know as far as tps reset.

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=69168.0

BUY THE LONELEC CABLES! I made the mistake of thinking I knew better and I could save 5 bucks and the obd2 cable I bought didnt work. Any questions let me know and Ill try to help you as much as possible.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Punch's guide to ScanST logging and modifying 21 April 2016.pdf (325.2 KB, 30 views)
Alexaussi2 likes this.

2006 Ducati 749 Biposto
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2016, 6:37 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgardner350 View Post
One of the other members just helped me through all this ecu stuff. He had this awesome guide he made. (attached)

Also this is a link in that guide but it should have everything you need to know as far as tps reset.

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=69168.0

BUY THE LONELEC CABLES! I made the mistake of thinking I knew better and I could save 5 bucks and the obd2 cable I bought didnt work. Any questions let me know and Ill try to help you as much as possible.

Wow. That is super helpful thank you kgardner. I just ordered the cables from Lonelec.

I am trying to understand which ecu my 2010 multistrada 1200 has and it only says Mitsubishi on it.

So I wonder what "5M or 15M/15P/15RC ECU" is referring to?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2016, 7:34 am

none of that is relevant to the mitsubishi ecu.

it is self calibrating afaik. it might idle high for a little while to start with.
Alexaussi2 likes this.

Brad The Bike Boy
www.bikeboy.org
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2016, 8:54 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradblack View Post
none of that is relevant to the mitsubishi ecu.

it is self calibrating afaik. it might idle high for a little while to start with.

Thank you kindly guys.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2017, 10:15 am Thread Starter

Well it wasn't the TPS as I changed that. Any other ideas?

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2017, 3:11 pm

Lambda sensor?

It called a bloody oil GALLERY!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2017, 1:02 pm Thread Starter

Yes o2 sensor is next on my list but I thought it would throw a code or stop it from starting if one of the sensors went bad.

Spark plug replaced with new. Gap checked. Valve clearance check done. Air filter cleaned.

How do I check if the oxygen sensor is half faulty?

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2017, 11:38 am

I don't think the lambda is used for idle and starting and as I understand things the ECU doesn't use it about a certain engine steep near full throttle. I'm not sure how an ECU would detect a dud lambda sensor apart from a full open/short circuit. You could try just disconnecting it to see what happens.

It called a bloody oil GALLERY!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2017, 7:15 pm
Prolific Poster Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Black View Post
I don't think the lambda is used for idle and starting and as I understand things the ECU doesn't use it about a certain engine steep near full throttle. I'm not sure how an ECU would detect a dud lambda sensor apart from a full open/short circuit. You could try just disconnecting it to see what happens.
I do not know the operation of the Mitsubishi ECU, but most current ECUs use the same control method.
I.e.
Starting has its own fuel map and no throttle used. There is an idle air control valve (IACV) which allows air into the throttle bodies below the butterfly.
The ECU at idle senses RPM and opens/closes the IACV to reach the target idle RPM where temperature etc. as in normal maps is used.

Typically narrowband O2 sensors are used at relatively low TP and RPM for fuel efficiency, pollution and the like. It aims for an air fuel ratio of 14.7 (Stoich) and being a narrowband sensor, that is all it can detect - rich or lean, not how rich or lean.

Once the RPM and TP get higher, the mapping switches to Alpha-N, which is based upon TP and RPM plus temperatures, air pressure, rate of TP change and more.

This does not help solve your problem, but IMO don't worry about the O2 sensor as it is not part of the mapping/control at the TPs where you are having problems.

It could be as simple as pinched fuel line, dirty fuel filter or even air not getting into the tank fast enough to let the fuel flow well enough to the injectors.

The 15M, 5AM, 59M refer to Magneti Marelli ECU types. The Lonelec cable kit, which is brilliant, for these ECUs connects to the 3 pin (AKA FIAT - the car brand) diagnostic connector. I am 99.999999999999% sure that this will not suit the Mitsu ECU, even if you had suitable software.
Similarly, the various listed software in my guide is for Magneti Marelli ECUs only.

Alexaussi2 - from your "name" I am guessing you are in Australia - if so, send me an email at yellowducati at me dot com
Serious Black and Alexaussi2 like this.

Richard Collins - 2001 900SSie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode