Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

How use ScanST 3.0.3 (free) dignostic utility + AFR datalogger for P8/15M/16M/59M/5AM

52K views 134 replies 22 participants last post by  GarrisRP9 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been working with Christian on his cellphone app (ScanM5X), but I noticed his excellent PC software (ScanST) is also quite powerful.
However, it has been overlooked mainly due to some technical issues getting it to run on a modern 64-bit operating system like Windows 8.1.
And, a help file requiring knowledge of French! :)

ScanST is completely free, no strings attached.
Please consider donating to the author if you like it.

[Donate to ScanST]

• His suite allows you to perform diagnostics and datalog AFR using the same tools we currently use for ECU reflashing.
  • It even has Bluetooth wireless ELM327 support!
  • It is fairly robust, allowing you to capture two 0-5v analog inputs using a USB developer board.
  • It is also compatible with Innovate Motorsports AFR sensors.
Other functions supported:
  • Set trimmer
  • DTC error codes
  • Injector/coil tests
  • Fuel pump test
  • Realtime graphing of measurements
  • Selective activation/deactivation of certain measurements
The main requirements are Microsoft Excel (for recording datalogs), USB-to-KKL hardware (or Galetto 1260), and a USB-to-serial cable (if using AFR/analog signal acquisition). So, mainly for stationary/tethered for dyno use. (Or an extremely daring rider!)

Attached are PDF instructions I have created that allow you to install and run it on Windows 8.1 without the normal errors.
Hopefully if people express interest he will release an update!

He stated he is interested in adding support for CANBUS Ducatis.
If you know how to access diagnostic information using CANBUS, please share!
(I did inform him about MrCanBus's project here.)

Attachments

See less See more
#39 ·
Idiot.

You can't use Ducati's name or trademarked logo without licensing it. Just say "Ducati is a registered trademark of Ducati SpA, ducatitech.com is in no way affiliated with Ducati SpA." and don't incorporate any of their logos into your product.

There's no sneaky mob agenda like so many people like to imply... Just normal brand protection stuff.

:p

#3 · (Edited)
Unfortunately, that software is gone and the author deleted the forum with all the user-created submissions.
All that is left are bits and pieces of information scattered across other sites. :(

PS: That controversy occurred because that used the "D-word" in the name and the "D-word" logo.
This software is based on open-documentation of the ISO 14230-4 KWP. And CANBUS is being community-source engineered.
Even the logos are community-made pictures in GIMP. I am fairly certain it is well in the clear.

(Speaking of which, I wonder how Ducati.MS uses the D-logo as the site icon, and name. Hm. :confused:)

#6 · (Edited)
This thread is getting derailed... here's the answer, so we can move on.
He used the D- logo and D- name (link) right in his program. Huge no-no. Everything else was completely legitimate, including asking for donations, UNTIL the obvious Trademark violation.
https://www.eff.org/issues/bloggers/legal/liability/IP
EFF said:
While trademark law prevents you from using someone else's trademark to sell your competing products (you can't make and sell your own "Rolex" watches or name your blog "Newsweek"), it doesn't stop you from using the trademark to refer to the trademark owner or its products (offering repair services for Rolex watches or criticizing Newsweek's editorial decisions).
Part relevant to our discussion bolded. So as long as you don't use D-'s name in your name, their Logo, or pretend to be D- yourself, and remember to say "D- is a trademark of DNA, etc etc", you are likely fine with your project. And as "PaypalSucks.com" showed us, there are exemptions, but you have to be prepared to defend it -- it's smarter to just avoid it entirely. However, IANAL, please consult with someone like Chris Kelly who deals with that sort of thing on a daily basis. I'm sure he'd be more than happy to offer advice.

PS: OBD schematics are federally mandated to be open-source...
Related to the original post, ScanST 3.0.4 is now released! It has a bunch of speed optimizations.
Soon to be released: a potential standalone ScanST version. No computer needed! :)

#8 ·
TL;DR: (As of 12/22/14) buy a new-in-box Innovate LC-2 wherever it is cheapest ($~150 @ eBay). Innovate drop-ships.
Advice applies for both ScanST (desktop) and ScanM5X (mobile).

Any 0-5v wideband sensor will work. But we've added special code to support Innovate Motorsports serial protocol.
This avoids errors due to grounding problems and makes the process much simpler.
If using Innovate sensors you don't need any special equipment. Just a USB<->serial cord.
If using a generic 0-5v sensor you need a special USB data-acquisition board. (FDTI module DLP-IO8-G)​

Innovate sensors have a serial RS232 (digital) and two 0-5v programmable (analog) outputs. The analog outputs can be programmed independently -- so one can be "0-5v wideband" and the other can "emulate narrowband". Or, you can make it switch anywhere, any way, any voltage. VERY useful if you want to stay street-legal, don't want to reflash your ECU, or simply replace your narrowband with something more reliable.
Hardcore tuners cite accuracy/speed problems with Innovate sensors.
In practice, they are "good enough", more widely available, and much cheaper than the competition.​
To summarize Innovate's lineup:
  • LC-1/LM-1 = old technology, uses 2.5mm headphone jack plugs (non-locking), "hidden versions" = advanced features but problematic
  • LC-2/LM-2/LMX = new technology, uses Molex 3.0 (3mm) MicroFit locking connectors = simplified but reliable
I would recommend the (LC-2) unless you have a reason for wanting the handheld unit (LM-2) or a built-in display gauge (LMX).

#11 ·

If using Innovate sensors you don't need any special equipment. Just a USB<->serial cord.

Innovate sensors have a serial RS232 (digital) and two 0-5v programmable (analog) outputs.

I would recommend the (LC-2) unless you have a reason for wanting the handheld unit (LM-2) or a built-in display gauge (LMX).​

I am not with you now. Innovate has a serial RS232 bus for communication. Which connection is it using to communicate. My LM-2 only has a USB. What cable would that be if I would hook up my LM-2 and run it with ScanST?

Jocke.........​

#9 ·
I have gotten my LC-2 and I am about to get started for real.

I feel silly asking but I want to be sure, In regards to the .bin in TunerPro; which cylinder is #1

Thanks,
t_bare

#13 ·
You don't need the bluetooth dongle unless you want to use your cell phone (or computer) wirelessly.

Just plug your LM-2 (or whatever) into your computer's serial port. If you don't have one, then you need the USB-to-serial adapter.

The LM-2 does have a serial output. It uses that funny molex connector t_bare linked. You can easily make your own. I thought Christian put up the instructions I gave saying how to make your own but they seem to be missing now.

#14 ·
My Elm finally came in. Unfortunately, I have not been able to get the HC-06 BT to send data or at least not visibly. The elm connects and sends data/trim very well. The HC-06 connects but doesn't send data to my Samsung Galaxy that I am trying to use. It worked with a laptop that I broke last week :( The baud is at 19,200 the terminal responds and the LM-2 is sending MTS Packets. I am so close. :)

t_bare

#15 ·
I was able to connect today with a buddy's phone. My old Samsung Tab that I picked up from work just won't do it. I supposed the operating system is too old.

t_bare

#16 ·
Since I enjoy talking to myself, Woo Hoo! I was able to upgrade my Tablets to "Gingerbread" now I am up and running. :)

t_bare

#17 · (Edited)
The operating system version you tried to use, Froyo (2.2), was discontinued and hasn't been updated since 2010.
It has a market adoption of less than 1%. It's no wonder it didn't work.

I'm actually quite surprised ScanM5X is robust enough to even work on Gingerbread (2.3).

Android Studio (the development program) explicitly says not to try to support old devices (use old API levels) since there are numerous unpatched security issues.
It actually recommends/defaults to something with 50% adoption or greater -- so JellyBean (4.2) or newer.

Christian must have intentionally moved the hardware compatibility slider backward when making the app.
Thanks for sharing what it took to get it to work! Hopefully it helps someone else too.

As an aside, I highly recommend you load a custom/third-party ROM (newer than Gingerbread) that actually has those security fixes!

#18 · (Edited)
Well, it kind of works...
On my 998 I can get AFR Data and ELM327 Data
On My 08 HyperS I get AFR Data but the ELM327 quits when the motor starts.

I am running out of gas on this project. :(

t_bare

EDIT: To Add

I am not able to use the "Diagnostic Power Supply" on the HyperS with the ELM327. Wired to the battery works. :)

#19 ·
Hi

I'm Christian (ScanST, ScanM5X and ScanM16)
I released ScanST 3.05a to try.
- I added datalog for LM-2 (it was not possible).
- I added datalog TXT(comma) and/or Excel, faster i think.
- I added a chart that allows you to see the points acquired in the session.
For now, the 32 points are linear (0 to 10,000) but if it is of interest I can memorize the 16 manual breakpoints TPS / RPM. If convenient I will try to add also in ScanM5X.

http://christian.giupponi.free.fr/maj/ScanST305a.exe

Green: One Point
Red: at least 2 points

It is still under construction, it is only for the principle.
I would also add a TXT2DIF converter

(sorry for google translation)

#20 ·
Thank you very much for your great programs, Christian! :)
They are incredibly helpful, and very generous of you to provide for absolutely free!

Since Christian is far too modest to say it himself, please consider chipping a few Euros his way!
You don't see it but he's always adding new features and testing new sensors in the background.
And if you have a good idea, he'll add it for you! :D

(I'm taking the liberty of posting a still from a video he sent a few months back -- since it is so amazing!)
(He got an Arduino talking to the ECU and has it displaying on a LCD! So a LCD datalogger for $60 bucks in kit!)​

[Donate to Christian's Beer Fund]
He does this as a hobby, and still rides his bike too.
(It's easy to forget do that latter part when you're doing this coding stuff! :p)

Attachments

#21 · (Edited)
Christian just finished a massive overhaul to his code :)
Please look towards ScanM5X v1.20 for Android shortly!

ScanM5X All-In-One Data Logger - Google Play

• Allows selecting up to 8 channels to display in "Monitor" screen
    (Plus continues to log ALL channels to CSV!)
  • In-app conversion from CSV to DIF: logging stops much more quickly
    No more hangups or partial DIF's!
  • In-app merging of multiple CSV
  • Much more robust Dashboard interface
  • Better dual-channel Lambda logging
  • Simultaneous GPS + ECU speed logging!
    Now you can find out if your dash is reporting speed accurately!
And soon to come after that: KML GPS breadcrumb tracking, and (possible!!) support for Canbus Ducatis! :)

Please let Christian know if the app helps you!
He'd really appreciate hearing feedback from riders. :)

Attachments

#22 ·

Attachments

#28 ·
#23 ·
Is there anything out there that can read the 2014 Mitsubishi ECU? My Guzzidiag can read the M5 and M15 ones but I have not found anything for the Mitzi.

Marc

#24 ·
Tuneboy have options for the Mitsu ECU - not free.
There is info on their web site on which models.
Also info in other forum sections on D.ms

Woolich Raced Tuned have products for the Kwaka Mitsu ECU, but have not seen Ducati on their web site. Also not free.

#29 ·
ScanST install, Win XP, Lonelec cables, 15M connection

I have written an English version based on my experience working with the French instructions of how to instal Christian's ScanST software and how to set up the cable connection.

ScanST is brilliant - Donate if you use it !!!!!!

Same with the Guzzi Diag etc. suite of software.

Richard

Attachments

#30 ·
I have just done a major update of my Android version Scan16M-USB for ECU 16M, 15M and 15RC.
I added the measurement of the original probe to those have one. For others it is possible to connect a Innovate LC or LM sensor via a Bluetooth adapter HC06, a small Arduino accessory.
You can now save the data in CSV format, to put them together and convert DIF. The DIF is directly readable with Logworks3.
The wire connection KKL-USB-OTG is less convenient than a BT connection like ScanM5x but 15-16 protocols do not allow to use ELM-BT.
The KKL-USB interface is the same as that used for Guzzidiag in chip FDTI only (no tested with other chip).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=scantwin.scanm16

ScanST is an old software, I develop on an old PC-XP with an old VB6 tool. I myself am oldman (60), I ride with old motorcycles 996-1998, ST4S-2001 and other junk.
I stopped to develop ScanST when the DucatiDiag and GuzziDiag appeared.

Merci Richard
Some comments to add.
- do not use the driverScanST because it is in the case that you use my interface. I myself was making before the KKL-USB are available on eBay. Take the original FDTI driver.
- The language file is lngEnglish.dll. If it is not present after installation, you can find in "Support" folder into the zip or it is downloaded by update.

I'll do some cleaning on my site.
Android versions are advanced, I will resume ScanST developments in particular add the Converter CSV to DIF. From memory, it also uses the old serial protocol from Innovate.

Christian

Attachments

#52 ·
I have just done a major update of my Android version Scan16M-USB for ECU 16M, 15M and 15RC.
I added the measurement of the original probe to those have one. For others it is possible to connect a Innovate LC or LM sensor via a Bluetooth adapter HC06, a small Arduino accessory.
You can now save the data in CSV format, to put them together and convert DIF. The DIF is directly readable with Logworks3.
The wire connection KKL-USB-OTG is less convenient than a BT connection like ScanM5x but 15-16 protocols do not allow to use ELM-BT.
The KKL-USB interface is the same as that used for Guzzidiag in chip FDTI only (no tested with other chip).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=scantwin.scanm16
Christian
Hi Christian,

Thank you for all the work you are doing.

I have been reading about Scan16M USB. A picture / diagram is simpler than words when we speak different languages. I have attached a file. Is this the correct way to connect the ECU to a USB host?

Richard

Attachments

#31 · (Edited)
Update

Since posting this I have amended the PDF instructions to include the text below and Christian's comments.

If you click on Start, then Programs and select ScanST it will ask you if you want to update. You have opened 3.0.3 and four languages are available.

I did this and it did two updates. It placed version 3.0.4 in C:\....\ScanST

For Christian and others. This is what you need to do until Christian puts up an Install package for version 3.0.5 and changes which exe file the Start Programs points to.

When you Start Programs and ScanST it still opens 3.0.3

If you explore to the ScanST folder you can open 304.exe and all languages are available.

For version 3.0.5a, download it from one of Christian's posts here or you can find the link in the PDF two posts earlier.

Once downloaded copy it and paste it in C:\...\ScanST.

Whilst still in that folder, right click the 305.exe file and select Pin to start menu.

Now when you click on Start it is there ready for you to select and all four languages are available.

I will modify the PDF guide and remove the instruction to download the ScanSTDRivers as per Christian's post.

CSV to DIF - yes please.

Attachments

#35 ·
Thanks for the offer, but the LM2 and the LC-1 connectors differ, as I_D posted very early on.

The LC-1 serial output is a 2.5mm diameter female stereo socket. The bit I threw out was a small connector that was male 2.5mm stereo jack on one side and serial DB9 on the other.

The LM2 uses a Molex connector to the LM2 and a serial DB9 at the other end of the cable.

They both do the same job of getting the signal from the Innovate electronics to a DB9 connector.

I think this is just a "straight through" plus/minus to the DB9. From what I_D wrote, ScanST can take to Innovate code without the need for FTDI or whatever to convert from serial to USB.

That is why I am asking the question that applies to my LC-1
I.e., can I simply cut off the stereo jack and solder the two cables to the signal pins on a USB plug?

#34 ·
I think I'm going to give ScanST a try. I have to reset my maintenance reminder and for some really annoying reason, JPDiag has stopped working. I hope it's not the cable or driver, then ScanST won't work either. :mad:

Wish me luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.