Dangerous Information On Charging Shocks with air. - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2017, 7:03 pm Thread Starter

Dangerous Information On Charging Shocks with air.

Please read I joined this forum because I needed information on the Nitrogen charge (Pressure) in the 748 rear Shock.
When I found members were talking about charging the shock with Air I became very Alarmed..
I am a 30 year Aviation Mechanic with 90% of my experience in Hydraulics. Both, Self contained (suspension Systems) and Dynamic (pump charged constant supply and pressure)
The common Reservoir Shocks found on modern rear suspension contain either a piston type or a Bladder type accumulator.
This Accumulator is the Gold cylinder attached to your shock.
The Accumulators job is to keep your shock oil under constant pressure While keeping the oil and Nitrogen separated.
As use wears the parts, i.e. O-rings on the piston or deteriorates the rubber bladder in the Accumulator
oil enters the Nitrogen side of the bladder..
Not a big problem, just means things a wearing out..
NOW THE IMPORTANT STUFF

Nitrogen is inert.. I contains no Oxygen. Oxygen being one of the three things you need to make FIRE . Take away Oxygen, fuel or heat and you get no FIRE
DO NOT PRESSURIZE YOUR REAR SHOCK WITH AIR.

Air contains 20% Oxygen. the oil in the shock is usually petroleum based ( a little bit heavier than #2
Diesel) Diesels ignite because of Compression.

If Air ( the stuff we breath) is used in the accumulator of the rear shock, You have a potential Pipe bomb under your seat.

Consider this... You're out for some spirited riding. The suspension is working hard, compressing and expanding all morning.
The day is warming up, your shock gets hotter with every bump.
The oil that found its way into the accumulator in getting atomized, a fine mist.
Your and you fabulous Italian engineered beast hit a pot hole, the sudden compression drives the air temperature into the realm of lower compression diesel engines
You have know clue what happened. all you heard was a loud bang. You and you machine have parted company.

This phenomenon is called Hydraulic Dieseling OSHA has incidents on file, can be found on line.

PLEASE DONT USE AIR TO CHARGE YOUR REAR SHOCKS
NITROGEN IS INERT. THEREFOR NO FIRE OR BIG BANG UNDER YOUR SEAT
NITROGEN ISN'T USED BECAUSE ITS LESS PRONE TO TEMP CHANGES... IT'S A GASS, SQUEEZ IT AND IT GETS HOT, EXPAND IT AND IT GETS COLD.
Hope this helps all here.
Now I'm going to search for the info I need.
Have a great day...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2017, 7:41 pm

Garage
@Supersidecar
Thanks for the crash course. That was very interesting and makes tremendous sense. One troubling detail however:
I once owned a Suzuki with air adjustable forks. The engineers at that time would have known this yet offered it to the public. Were there no danger because the fork pressure is lower than todayís rear shocks and not as subject to spontaneous combustion?

2016 Panigale 959 (Arctic White)
2016 Monster 1200 R (Thrilling Black)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2017, 8:07 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for responding.. You have made a valid point.
I have the '78 GS1000 once owned by my father. Yes the forks are air adjustable. But the air pressure
max Is, I believe somewhere around 17 psi.. Fork travel should be insufficient to heat the huge volume of oil. Owners manual warned of to high a pressure causing damage.
The most probable event would most likely be blown seals and loss of fluid..
With the volume of the oil and the low air pressure temps and pressures should not get high enough for hydraulic
Dieseling.
Ever use a piston type camp fire starter? A small chip of dry wood or a small ball of cotton.... smack the piston, and tip out the glowing smoking amber... Makers warn buyer not to use oil of fuel.. Yes people have tried the oil...
Good exchange....thanks

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2017, 8:34 pm Thread Starter

Damn,
Can't believe I spelled "Gas" with two s's in my first post on the Forum. haha
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2017, 9:33 pm

Garage
My old CBR had 5-8 psi recommended in the forks, again, too low to develop heat and there was a bladder seal separating it from the oil. It was more like a rubber marshmallow I believe.

1991 900SS
1968 Honda 305 Dream
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 2017, 7:27 am

My shock instructions stated Nitrogen was preferable but air could be used. What you wrote makes perfect sense, so I must assume the shock manufacturer didn't know this would happen, or didn't care.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 2017, 9:48 am Thread Starter

Don't have a picture of my shock to post but the caution label on the reservoir warns of "explosion risk".
Perfect weather for a morning ride.... I'm outa here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode