Is a Diavel for me? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2017, 10:35 am Thread Starter

Is a Diavel for me?

I am looking at picking up a 2012 Diavel with 500 miles on it. Bike is obviously in great shape. I have had two Multistrada 1200's but something about them just didn't click for me. One of the things I didn't like was the tendency of the front wheel coming up very frequently. Is the Diavel going to do the same thing under hard acceleration?

Secondly, I am 60 years old and have been riding since I was 12. I enjoy Ducati's (I have had three ST3's and an older Multistrada 1000DS along with the two 1200 Multis). Most of my riding will be by myself, around town and in the twisties some. I just like the feel of a Ducati. I enjoy the upright riding position. Will I enjoy the Diavel?

I have a BMW K16000GTL for my longer rides so the Diavel is just when its me and I don't want to get the Beemer out of the garage.

Should I pull the trigger? Thanks for your help.

Current bikes: 2012 BMW K1600GTL. Been through about 15 others in the last couple years. Hoping to find the one to keep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2017, 10:45 am

Garage
I'm from the other end of the spectrum, I've been on sport/superbikes for over 30 years. I have done a few test rides on the Diavel and was VERY surprised at how much I liked it. I never had the sensation of the front end listing when applying power, and there is a lot to apply. It handles well and *for me* is a blast to ride.

Goodbye RSV4 and MV Agusta. Back on a Duc.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2017, 10:57 am

Same age group as you. Prior to the Diavel I had a Suzuki SV 1000. Loved it, except for the fact that I had to have a hip replacement. Could not successfully ride a bike where I was tippy toes(5` 6")
First sat on a Diavel in a showroom. Got off it as fast as I could. Did not like the big fat tank, looked ugly.
Went home took a full day doing my research. Engine build, etc, etc.
Changed my mind completely. Had to have one.
Bought a new 2012. Loved it when I sat on it. different prospective.
Rode it and changed my mind completely.
Can do daily rides up to about 250 miles, comfortable.
Now have 70.000 kms.
For me a bike has its own personality and depending on how you feel about your choice.
From the start is it what you would like. Looks, power, torque, colour.
Will it do wheelies from the start? A few occasions yes. However I think it is highly your choice. If you gun it from the start let the clutch go crazy, you will wheelie.
I thought the same as you about pulling wheelies. Here in Ontario, pull a wheelie and you are in big trouble. Big fines, lose your licence. Insurance rates through the roof. Might as well give up riding. I am still riding.
Fun factor is great.
You did not mention price or if it has any bolt on goodies.
Can you take a test ride?
If I can help in any other way, pm me or I can give you my phone number to answer any questions.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2017, 11:34 am
ELK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheX View Post
I'm from the other end of the spectrum, I've been on sport/superbikes for over 30 years. I have done a few test rides on the Diavel and was VERY surprised at how much I liked it.
My experience as well.

I was invited to, and attended, its original introduction to the States. While this was fun, I was determined to intensely dislike the bike.

I then test rode one a couple of months later. It was a blast. Very easy to ride, a pussy cat when you want it to be, wonderfully quick when asked, corners much better than I expected. Great fun.

'15 BMW S1000RR, '10 Streetfighter S, '07 1098S Tricolore, '05 999
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2017, 12:20 pm Thread Starter

A couple things to mention. I am 6'2" and I don't want to be cramped on the bike nor do I want my feet so far in front of me all my weight is on my butt.

I can pick the bike up for $9000. As I said, less than 500 miles, recently serviced. About the only add on is a carbon fiber exhaust.

You guys are certainly pushing me to make the deal. Thanks for the info and I will take all I can get. Knowledge is good.

Current bikes: 2012 BMW K1600GTL. Been through about 15 others in the last couple years. Hoping to find the one to keep.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2017, 7:08 pm
ELK

I am 6'0" and was perfectly comfy.

The bike has a huge personality as well.

At $9,000 I am tempted.

'15 BMW S1000RR, '10 Streetfighter S, '07 1098S Tricolore, '05 999
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2017, 2:58 pm Thread Starter

My dilemma is this: I can get the 2012 Diavel with 500 miles for $9000 or I can get a 2006 ST3 with 40,000 for $3500 and have a lot of money in my pocket. Both bikes in excellent condition. Trying to decide.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2017, 5:17 pm
Moderator in moderation

Garage
I've been on both (own the ST) and they are two completely different machines. Take them out for a test ride! If the owner(s) won't let you, remember you can get a test ride on the Diavel at one of your local Ducati dealers.

Mike
2006 ST3 - 2004 KLR 650 (the Truck)
NEDOC
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2017, 6:36 pm

I hope you sit on it and put a few miles before you decide. I had a VRod about 4 yrs ago. I rode 1000 miles from Reno to Denver. Hated the feet out front position. Sold it a short time later.
I thought about a diavel strada, but the seating position reminds me too much of the vrod.
I used to have a 2007 monster s4rs, did an 800 mile day with no problem. I was amazed.

Ride the diavel before you decide. I'm 64, I have a multi 1200s and an st4s. I plan to sell the multi

Jack

2003 ST4S
2011 Multistrada 1200 S Touring
Bimota DB5 Mille
Reno, NV
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2017, 9:43 am

Only the new Diavel X has the forward controls, all other models 2012 have mid controls, yeah they are not rear sets but absolutely not forwards either.

'77 RD-400
'03 FLSTF
'06 Sport 1000 Yellow
'04 XL1200R
'07 999s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode