What Would You Buy? XDiavel S or Multistrada 1200 S touring - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2016, 10:46 pm Thread Starter

Garage
What Would You Buy? XDiavel S or Multistrada 1200 S touring

Though I have bike-less for many years now, I am finally getting back into riding following a multi-year long distance affair with the Ducati brand which I'm now seeking to make real in a few weeks. My kids are a bit older now and I now have the time to spend riding that I didn't before. I'm interested in your experienced perspective on two choices of bike I see before me:

1. XDiavel S: I absolutely love the design and performance of the XDiavel S, which first hooked me with the original Diavel. I've never really liked Harleys, but something about the Diavel (power/sport cruiser styling with sport performance) really spoke to me. I did two experience rides this past weekend when Ducati was in town with 16 XDiavels. Tons of fun on this bike. It is sex-on-wheels and has such great performance capabilities that I could see enjoying this bike for years to come for primarily pleasure riding. Definitely a more "emotionally expressive" bike of the two I'm considering.

2. Multistrada 1200 S Touring: However, the practical side of me really appreciates the promise of what the Multistrada 1200 S offers. I would like to do some touring around the Rocky Mountain area (UT, CO, WY, NV) in which I live, and the Multistrada 1200 S Touring model seems to offer a better overall and practical package for that kind of riding. I do want the sport performance for the fun of riding but also would (occasionally) appreciate the luggage and comfort factors that the Multistrada brings to the game. I won't ever be commuting on either bike, so the majority of my riding will be fun first and travel/touring second.

As I will not purchase two bikes this time around, I'd love to hear your arguments for & against either bike from what I've described. I'd also love to hear what other things I may not be considering that I should, such as maintenance, reliability, or other factors to sway the argument to one bike over the other.

So which bike should I drop $20k+ on: the 2016 XDiavel S or the 2016 Multistrada 1200 S Touring?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2016, 8:05 am

Garage
Multi, It's as quick as and handles as well.
I loved mine and rode it like a sport bike. They go real hard.
The Diavel is a nothing bike to me, a design exercise or something.

899 - RaceTech springs front & Ohlins spring rear - 1199 base shock and flat link - DB Holders subframe - 848evo foot pegs - Lithium battery - OZ Racing wheels - 1299 stock full exhaust - RapidBike Evo
959 - Track project
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2016, 9:36 am

Garage
As the seating position is very different I would say which ever one fits you the best and is most comfortable to ride all day long.

Either would be a fine bike.

Marc

2014 Ducati MTSGT, 1994 900SS/CR, 74 Eldorado Police, 64 R50/2, 14 Ural, 14 Hyperstrada

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2016, 2:54 pm

how about getting a pre loved Multi now then in a year a 2 a pre loved xdiavel?

cheers
paul

__________________________________________________ _______
916 biposto 96' current
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/56-super...ct-so-far.html

M600 00'
Mille S2 84'
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2016, 3:27 pm
shark wrangler

I've been riding my whole life - as a kid I raced and to me bikes are for sport. I dont get cruisers, I dont get bikes that dont allow you to put your body weight on your feet and use your legs. I dont understand being stranded on your ass and trying to steer with you hands instead of using your whole body. I dont get how you're supposed to hang on while accelerating by your hands and arms instead of using your body and your legs and feet. I'd stop riding before I bought a bike with forward controls and a leaned back position. I'd absolutely quit riding before I'd own a Diavel X.

On the other hand the Multistrada is one of the most universal and practical bikes on the planet while still being stunningly capable. The performance is unmatched in sport touring, its very easy to cruise around on and its able to carry luggage and a passenger for as long as you dare to ride. I even ride mine on fire roads and dirt on occasion and it does great.

For me you are looking at two bikes that bookened the very extreme ends of the motorcycling spectrum. A bike I wouldn't even own and out of tens of thousands of bikes one of the all time best.

Do you want a motorcycle or do you want to think you look cool (but you really wont)

Be smart, buy the Multi...
kdehkordi and getthat like this.

Link to all of my bikes and builds: *Click!*
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2016, 9:06 pm

I haven't ridden the diavel but for some reason I like them. The multi is a fantastic bike, no doubt, but it depends on what you will be doing with them. One of the many reasons I like the multi in addition to great handling, (Front Brake, power, looks, etc is the fuel range. Both of our multis (an '11 and a '14) get over 180miles a tank if ridden normally. If you are keeping them spinning on high speed twisties the milage drops appreciably, however great range, where we live this is super important. Not sure what the range of the diavel would be.

Let us know what you decide.

mark

Past: '02 st4s, '06 Multi 620, '06 749s, '08 Multi 1100s, '09 Monster 1100s, '11 Triumph 675r, Present: '11 Multi 1200s (Full Termi, ECU, White, etc), '14 Multi s touring
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2016, 5:59 pm

I own both bikes and can tell you the multi can do everything the x can do but the x cannot do everything the multi can do. But they are both a blast !!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2016, 7:59 pm

I own a Diavel Carbon Red and a brand new Multistrada S Touring as well. I love both equally. That being said, if I lived where you do and had to pick one it would be an easy decision. Multistrada S Touring hands down. You live in an amazing part of the country for motorcycle touring. Take advantage! And the Multistrada is plenty sporty when you want to get on the throttle hard.

My two cents. Either choice is a winner in the end.

"If I always appear prepared, it is because before entering an undertaking, I have meditated long and have foreseen what might occur. It is not genius where reveals to me suddenly and secretly what I should do in circumstances unexpected by others; it is thought and preparation." Napoleon Bonaparte
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2016, 9:03 am

Garage
I also own a Diavel (Red Carbon) and a Multi (Touring S w Skyhook) and a Triumph Explorer. For me all three are great bikes.
It all depends on what you like to do.
It's true the Multi can tour all day, scratch and embarrass sport bikes at the track and be a hooligan tool, or use it as a daily commuter if you like...it really is that good-a-bike to do all with such a high level of function. The downside for me is the seat height (and the cost of mods is not to be sneezed at). It's a bit clunky at lower revs, but as it's geared so high, a 42T on the rear makes it a lot easier to live with and improves engine response and therefore throttle response. I wrote elsewhere that mod alone was the biggest change outside of a total remap for a fraction of the cost. It turned the throttle response in Urban and Touring modes to be like Sport when it had normal gearing. Very quick. Great for two or three day weekend rides.
The Diavel is a bit of the unknown for some. If you look at it like a cruiser, on looks alone, and ride it as such it is a very easy going bike. If you treat it as a stretched Monster, you'll have a lot of fun but it takes a few corners to get used to the feeling the back isn't going to lift off the ground as you lean over (its the rear tires width that seems to act like a pivot when you'r playing hard), but it doesn't get close to letting go until you're well into scrapping the pegs. The engine can be a bit rough in the 0-3000rpm range, but she's great when you reach the open loop of the fuel map (over 3,000 rpm).
I use the Triumph for long distance week long rides of when going off roading on trails, but that is a different story.
Whichever you choose, I hope you have fun.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2016, 3:16 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Multistrada 1200S Touring it is...

Thank you all for your thoughtful responses. Lots of great feedback and consideration for this next big purchase. I did a demo ride yesterday on a 2015 Multistrada 1200S up into the mountains-- what a great bike! It's as fast as I need, has a more "natural" foot position (vs foot-forward of XDiavel), and carries all the practicality for touring across the great Rocky Mountain region (panniers, luggage rack, etc). I was worried it might be too tall for me (at 5' 9" tall with 32" inseam) but I felt fine at stops (I was on lower seat setting). It does seem to be a really agile and light bike despite it's weight & dimensions. Also, great design and electronics integration (Bluetooth/Multimedia capabilities) cinched it for me being a tech guy.

So, in the end, the 2016 Multistrada 1200S Touring has won a valiant fight. I love both bikes, but the "idea" of the XDiavel ultimately succumbed to the "reality" of the Multistrada.

Now, on to the negotiation phase with my local dealer. Given that the Ducati fiscal year ends next month, I expect I'd have better negotiation leverage than other times of the year. Anything I should haggle for in particular? I am purchasing the 1200S Touring model, so I'm considering pushing for a significant discount on the urban package as I really like the tank bag (Ducati version of the Givi tank lock bag) with integrated USB charger/hub and the 48-liter top case which will come in handy for those longer tours I may do one day. Also seeking deeper discounts on Ducati riding gear (they already offered 10% off with bike purchase) as I'll need new mesh/leather jackets, boots, gloves, and other new gear. I expect they'd be more willing to negotiate gear discounts vs the bike selling price...

What would you negotiate hard for (assuming the bike retail price is fairly firm)?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-07-23 12.19.38.jpg
Views:	673
Size:	898.9 KB
ID:	732738  
PhilBoncer likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode