What Would You Buy? XDiavel S or Multistrada 1200 S touring - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2016, 11:51 am

As I'd need a ladder to get on and off a multi this would be an easy choice for me, Diavel...

'77 RD-400
'03 FLSTF
'06 Sport 1000 Yellow
'04 XL1200R
'07 999s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2016, 6:16 pm
Official Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodooGuru View Post
but the "idea" of the XDiavel ultimately succumbed to the "reality" of the Multistrada.

Now, on to the negotiation phase with my local dealer. Given that the Ducati fiscal year ends next month, I expect I'd have better negotiation leverage than other times of the year. Anything I should haggle for in particular?
What would you negotiate hard for (assuming the bike retail price is fairly firm)?
If you're still open to input I have a boatload of heresy for you.

Go ride the Indian Springfield.

I can give you a lot of background if you would be interested but the short answer is;

I rode the XDiavel and was not that jazzed (just wasn't that much better than what I already ride to justify $22K),

rode the Indian Roadmaster and it was okay but just too big,

rode the Chieftain Dark Horse (the one that got me interested in seriously checking out the Indians) and liked it a lot.

Then after riding the Chieftain a 2nd time I rode the Springfield (for due diligence) since it has the best handling of them all.

So, now for the last 4 weeks, there's been a Springfield in my garage. I don't really like chrome and the SF is drenched in it but I have come around and like it now.

My shortlist was the X, the Harley Slim S and the Indian. I wanted a cruiser to get me to slow down since I haul ass too much on my Commando and Duc E900.

But turns out you can ride the SF about 90% as fast as most any other bike. The only points where there are any issues is in really tight turns (as you would expect with a bike with a 67 inch wheelbase), but if you can take a 20 MPH curve at 50 on a Duc you can take it at 45 on the SF.

Anyway, now that you are running above $20K it might be worth a ride just to make sure.

And the Indians are far, far more comfortable than the Ducs (and maybe every other bike out there).

HTH.

M./

Innovative Electrical Upgrades Since 2002 |*EVERY* motorcycle will start in 1 second or less if the starting circuit is properly engineered. Install our HICAP II starting circuit upgrade to the get quick easy starting you expected from your high-performance engine. Excess cranking accelerates wear on the; battery, starter motor, sprag clutch and intermediate gear. - - Pay a little now or pay a lot more later. Click to learn more Motolectric.com |
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2016, 6:54 pm

I agree Indian is making some very compelling bikes. I recently test rode the Indian Chief Dark Horse and I didn't want to bring it back.

I just wanted to point it East and ride across the Great Plains. Maybe someday, I will!

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by motolectric View Post
If you're still open to input I have a boatload of heresy for you.

Go ride the Indian Springfield.

I can give you a lot of background if you would be interested but the short answer is;

I rode the XDiavel and was not that jazzed (just wasn't that much better than what I already ride to justify $22K),

rode the Indian Roadmaster and it was okay but just too big,

rode the Chieftain Dark Horse (the one that got me interested in seriously checking out the Indians) and liked it a lot.

Then after riding the Chieftain a 2nd time I rode the Springfield (for due diligence) since it has the best handling of them all.

So, now for the last 4 weeks, there's been a Springfield in my garage. I don't really like chrome and the SF is drenched in it but I have come around and like it now.

My shortlist was the X, the Harley Slim S and the Indian. I wanted a cruiser to get me to slow down since I haul ass too much on my Commando and Duc E900.

But turns out you can ride the SF about 90% as fast as most any other bike. The only points where there are any issues is in really tight turns (as you would expect with a bike with a 67 inch wheelbase), but if you can take a 20 MPH curve at 50 on a Duc you can take it at 45 on the SF.

Anyway, now that you are running above $20K it might be worth a ride just to make sure.

And the Indians are far, far more comfortable than the Ducs (and maybe every other bike out there).

HTH.

M./

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2016, 7:14 pm
Official Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyclone View Post
I agree Indian is making some very compelling bikes. I recently test rode the Indian Chief Dark Horse and I didn't want to bring it back
Sounds like a common thread.

That's what I told the salesman at the end of the Chieftain Dark Horse demo ride.

He said, "what do you think"?

I said, " well, I had a problem".

He said, "what? what kind of problem"?

I said, "I didn't want to come back".

And it was true. Then I rode the Springfield and it was worse (really, really didn't want to come back).

They just launched their 2017 lineup today and it is nice but I would still buy the bike I bought. There are others who are miffed since the new high-end bikes have an Infotainment system.

That was what I didn't want to pay for in the Chieftain series.

Anyway, for those reading this thread, the demos are free and you never know - - - I certainly did not expect to like the bikes as much as I did.

(I should mention that in the same way that Clark Kent is somewhat transformed when he takes his glasses off, the Springfield is a different riding experience with the windscreen removed. Takes all of 20 seconds so if you try a ride, try it without the screen. The salesman will think you're nuts, but trust me it's the hot setup).

HTH.
psyclone likes this.

Innovative Electrical Upgrades Since 2002 |*EVERY* motorcycle will start in 1 second or less if the starting circuit is properly engineered. Install our HICAP II starting circuit upgrade to the get quick easy starting you expected from your high-performance engine. Excess cranking accelerates wear on the; battery, starter motor, sprag clutch and intermediate gear. - - Pay a little now or pay a lot more later. Click to learn more Motolectric.com |

Last edited by motolectric; Jul 26th, 2016 at 7:41 pm.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2016, 2:46 pm
shark wrangler

The interesting part about the last few comments is that people who buy the Diavel are cross-shopping bikes that aren't traditionally in Ducatis competition category. Personally I'd never even consider owning a Harley or an Indian. I don't need or want a two-wheeled stretched limousine. I guess thats why I'd never own a Diavel...

To me the Diavel is on the other side of a chasm that is rarely crossed and certainly will never be crossed by me. Thats why this thread is so rare. The multi and the Diavel are not two bikes that are often compared or considered together.

It seems to me that the Diavel is often purchased for its style and therefore the style it portrays upon its rider, while the Multi is purchased for its capability and performance.

Link to all of my bikes and builds: *Click!*
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2016, 3:29 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynbulldog View Post
The interesting part about the last few comments is that people who buy the Diavel are cross-shopping bikes that aren't traditionally in Ducatis competition category. Personally I'd never even consider owning a Harley or an Indian. I don't need or want a two-wheeled stretched limousine. I guess thats why I'd never own a Diavel...

To me the Diavel is on the other side of a chasm that is rarely crossed and certainly will never be crossed by me. Thats why this thread is so rare. The multi and the Diavel are not two bikes that are often compared or considered together.

It seems to me that the Diavel is often purchased for its style and therefore the style it portrays upon its rider, while the Multi is purchased for its capability and performance.
Like others on this post I am lucky enough to be in a position to own both. I've have plenty of sportbikes over my 32 year riding career and as I've gotten older and a little more round, I find the cruiser style to be quite compelling, especially for my back and neck. The Diavel offers this style riding but with sportbike performance (braking and acceleration) and the handling isn't too bad either when you get into it. Certainly better than the 80's and early 90's Superbikes I used to own. Recall when it was launched there were no faster Ducati's, it was only the Pani that was launched after that was quicker to accelerate and brake.
I think there's good reason to look at the two side by side. I've toured on both. Close to three thousand miles in ten days on different trips for both bike, so you can do 90% of what you can do on a Multi on a Diavel, it's the off-roading that's the limiting factor.
I also think it's great that people are cross shopping with Indians and Victory's, and HD's, it brings in a new customer base and that makes Ducati stronger, after all if the were no Diavel these people would go straight to the other brands if not the Japanese offerings. I know when I was looking for an alternative to the sport or naked bike scene I was really happy to see ADV's and power cruisers show up, even if I feel pigeon holing bikes like these is a dis-service to the. It belies their capability.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2016, 11:15 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks all. Lots of good and varying perspectives.

In the end, the only bikes I'm truly interested in are the XDiavel and the Multistrada. I've decided the Multistrada best fits the kind of riding I expect to do in the coming years. Maybe there's a future XDiavel that may join the collection, but for this next purchase it will be the Multistrada 1200s Touring.

Given it's the end of the Ducati fiscal year next month (August), I'm hoping my local dealer has more motivation than usual to move another unit to hit their quotas. I love negotiating so this next phase should be fun.

Off to the dealer this week to start working the deal...
paulmm600 likes this.

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2016, 11:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodooGuru View Post
Thanks all. Lots of good and varying perspectives.

In the end, the only bikes I'm truly interested in are the XDiavel and the Multistrada. I've decided the Multistrada best fits the kind of riding I expect to do in the coming years. Maybe there's a future XDiavel that may join the collection, but for this next purchase it will be the Multistrada 1200s Touring.

Given it's the end of the Ducati fiscal year next month (August), I'm hoping my local dealer has more motivation than usual to move another unit to hit their quotas. I love negotiating so this next phase should be fun.

Off to the dealer this week to start working the deal...
good choice, post up lots of pics when you get it

cheers
paul

__________________________________________________ _______
916 biposto 96' current
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/56-super...ct-so-far.html

M600 00'
Mille S2 84'
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2016, 10:35 am

Garage
Im facing similar choice, for me it's either to keep Diavel or but Pikes Peak.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yo
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2016, 11:04 pm

I've learned after buying several motorcycles that the choice should include emotional reasons, maybe more than practical reasons. But that's just me.

I test drove both. The multi left me cold. It has ferocious acceleration, but I felt like it was hard to "lock" my body in place on the bike so I could never take full advantage of it. At cruising speed it felt like it was just plodding along, reminded me of a GS in that regard. Placid, but somewhat boring.

The Xdiavel was just mind blowing. yeah, same engine, but maybe the different seating position, or something... something made that bike alive and magical.

Anyway, try them both if you can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode