Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Ducati Reliability?

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  MTScott2 
#1 ·
Hello motorcycle gear heads, I'm looking to by a Hypermotard 796 for my first road bike. I do have 6 years of motocross experience and I am also a firm believer in wearing all of my protective gear. I was going to buy a Honda CBR600RR this weekend but the insurance was very expensive even with my great driving record. The Ducati is much cheaper and it feels very familiar to the dirt bikes that I'm used to riding. I know the valve adjustments for all Ducati's are expensive but what else do I need to be aware of? I don't want to own a beautiful motorcycle but can't ride it because it's in the shop all the time. I served 5 years in the U.S. Marine Corps as a flight mechanic on C-130s, so I'm capable of performing maintenance on my own ride. I would appreciate any advice and help, thanks.

#2 ·
I worried about this too but have come to see that they are as reliable as any other motorcycle. Especially the engine in the motards. I love tinkering and doing as much of my own maintenance as is sanely possible. I'd only urge you to consider a used 1100 with some upgrades. I got a 2010 1100 with termi slip on's and I am in heaven.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

#5 ·
Skip the 796 and pick up an 1100 Hyper. Engines have been around a long time and are quite reliable. Gearheads swear they are easy to maintain.
Pleas consider what these guys are saying. Rider after rider after rider on this forum goes for the 796 and then al,oat immediately starts talking ab the need for more power, and what mods they should do. Then they spend waaaay more than the price differenc ebetrween the bikes, are still not satisfied and end up selling the 796 for the 1100. Get a used 1100 with mods like these guys say... You'll have a bike with top spec components, torque, and wha you want. I can't imagine the insurance difference is more than a few $100/yr which pales in comparison to the added cost of a wrong choice.

Aren't you glad you asked ? :D

#6 ·
Yup look ahead a few years , you don't hafta use all the power , nice to have when you want it...
Bad when you want/need it and it is not there...
Look at resale and desireability for future needs too...
Possible 2 up riding too?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.