Rat MHR tidy up - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2017, 2:32 am Thread Starter

Rat MHR tidy up

G'day lads,

Started a new thread to document my progress on the rat Jappa MHR I bought.
At present there are no carbs or manifold, it has a non-genuine fairing and is painted in NCR Pantah colours. The headlight, indicators and tail light are all missing, along with fuel taps, pedal rubbers and tank rubbers.

But as the pickers would say it exists.
I'll take some detail pics tomorrow.

Next it is its '84 S2 sister.

Round case decals.

My S2 is a standard vintage bike. This, well its a blank canvas.

Rossco
Mhe225 likes this.

Rossco
ST4s 03 'SL900 S5 #6 '84 S2 '83MHR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2017, 5:41 am
Tightly Clenched...

So what's the story of how you came into possession of it? You knew it was a "fixer-upper" when you chased after it?

post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2017, 11:09 am

It looks pretty good to me. There is not much to do to make it decent is there? I would keep it as it is and just source the missing parts.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2017, 11:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duccout View Post
It looks pretty good to me. There is not much to do to make it decent is there? I would keep it as it is and just source the missing parts.
Yes. The less obsessing and the more riding the better. Great looking machine.

"If Evolution is Outlawed, only Outlaws will Evolve."
1974 750GT. Bought new!
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2017, 1:57 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
So what's the story of how you came into possession of it? You knew it was a "fixer-upper" when you chased after it?
Yeah I bought it from a local importer/ exporter. He had 4-5 of them but the others were out of my poverty ass price range. The '79 he has is awesome and pristine. He was working on a '76 900ss and a '74 750ss the other day when I went there. This was cheap enough to leave a healthy budget for parts. The attraction was that it has 19xxx km on it. Overall condition is consistent with the kms.

I considered a Laverda as well but getting hold of one proved impossible without importing it myself. This was here and I have my S2 and all the experience involved with keeping that running without a local dealer anywhere around.

So I started searching for another bevel and found out they are really thin on the ground now, and I can't believe how much people are asking for high km Darmahs, 750 & 860GTs. I think it is interesting that a 900S2 can still be found at half reasonable prices. Probably because of the garbage IF wrote years ago and everyone blindly believed. You just need to embrace the Volvo front quarter look of them.

My S2 was in storage for 15years till a conversation with Duccout convinced me to get it out of mothballs again. Here it is the day I dragged it out.

Over the years I have resisted the temptation to change the glass on it. I just think it is what it is, ugly as buggery. Duccout has almost convinced me to change the fairing to lighten the front. Years ago I matched the spring rates to my weight, handling has always been excellent.

Rossco
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2017, 2:09 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
How did I know you were going to say that?.
I had never seen one of these before. They are really small and basic.

Rossco
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2017, 2:22 pm Thread Starter

Couple of images from back in the day, 2004? Moto GP with my little lady. The 900SL was and still is hers

She rode like a lunatic at the time.

Rossco
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2017, 12:11 am Thread Starter

Some detail pics

I think the tail light can possibly stay.

Rossco
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2017, 12:49 am

I wish that I had your problem of what to do with your MHR rossco. It all depends on your enthusiasm and how full your wallet is. I would leave most things as they are to save money!

Seriously, the rear light looks ok and the fairing looks good too, although an SS fairing looks great on those bikes and is very practical. All the talk of bad handling from IF was backed up by problems in Germany apparently - the German authorities were considering banning S2s. IMHO, the steering wobble was caused by the weight distribution; my 750 Sport was exactly the same if I strapped my camping gear on the back, and I've still got vivid memories of handlebars shaking all over the place whilst crossing the Alps on it. My S2 is solid as a rock after it's diet.

Your S2 is kickstart, I wonder if it is much lighter than an electric start bike? Have you still got the big battery on there? I saved about 10 lbs by switching to a Red Top battery, which although tiny has never failed to start the engine.

You mention that bevel prices are high in OZ, I looked at the Raider Moto website the other day and could not believe how much they want for their bikes; is that a true reflection of bevel prices down under? I'd always hoped to add a Darmah to my garage, but no chance now.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2017, 3:29 am Thread Starter

I recon the rear shocks never worked very well either, especially with some weight.
Konis improved the situation out of sight.

Headlight is interesting. It has an external chromed bucket. I don't know for sure but I think the original Bosch pantah light might be inside. The lense is not Bosch but nicely convex.

The fairing is similar to the upper part of a Series 2 MHR fairing, but much smaller.

The screen is roached. Fairing mounts are genuine.

Rossco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode