Is a 1974 750 sport worth more then a 1973 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2017, 3:40 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Is a 1974 750 sport worth more then a 1973

I got a line on a 1974 Ducati 750 sport in need of restoration, the owner seems to think it's worth a lot more then the 1973. Anyone know what the bike is worth, all there needing full restoration?, and if it's truly worth more then the 1973?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2017, 4:34 am

I imagine the '74 is more common though it probably had some "upgrades" over the '73 (and not sure if the '73 had a glass tank). But if one had a '73 and a '74, both restored, the older bike I believe had a lower production number and (for various other esoteric reasons) would be worth a bit more. Very, very few Sports came with a "bikini" fairing. Not sure if it was year specific.

The '73 and early '74 had leading axle forks -- forgetting function, it's just a bit more rare.

74: Ducati 750 sport for sale ? Moto Borgotaro

73: https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hm...t/3704711.html

"If Evolution is Outlawed, only Outlaws will Evolve."
1974 750GT. Bought new!
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2017, 6:15 am

I reckon that they are all worth the same, depending on condition, mileage and originality. If the bike that you have a line on is what you want and is a good price, then get it!

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2017, 8:26 am

Only reason suggesting '73 is that the earlier 750 GTs seem to be a bit up on the 74-75 (though the early GTs had some oddball paint schemes). But, of course, Duccout is right, get the one you want, they're close enough.

Here's a '74 w/fairing.

http://www.austinvintagecycle.com/19...d-restoration/

1974 750GT. Bought new!

Last edited by Scrannel; Mar 27th, 2017 at 8:50 am.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2017, 8:19 pm

There's no such thing as a price guide for old motorcycles otherwise the fella who sold the Monza Junior on the other thread wouldn't have given it away for the price he did.

It's just what you can buy or sell it for.

A 73 Sport is the same as a 74 or a 78. As Duccout said, give or take a few bucks for originality and condition.

In Australia Sports have been advertised for up to $50,000 (Aus) but my guess is that they sell for much less than that. Macdesmo would have a better idea. GT prices though have recently hit the $30,000 (Aus) mark for a good condition version and don't appear to be stopping.

Grab it if you can.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2017, 11:39 am

If you search around under auctions you might get a rough idea. Note year of the sale etc., and you'll get a decent look at where these machines are going and have been going. Auctions can be deceptive in some ways as they can be driven by a bidder who will go more than the market. Still it can be a convenient measure and are generally close to spot on.

1974 750GT. Bought new!
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2017, 12:50 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duccout View Post
I reckon that they are all worth the same, depending on condition, mileage and originality. If the bike that you have a line on is what you want and is a good price, then get it!
I've been watching Sport prices for years and I would agree with Duccout that it comes down to originality and condition, not year. Now, the '72 Z-stripe bikes are rarer and someone might pay more for one of those.

1966 350S_1973 750 Sport_1978 Darmah 900SD_1995 900SS SP
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2017, 9:03 am

Curious, was the fairing an option on this bike and for which years? Also, did the late '74/'75 have screw adjusting rocker arms as opposed to shims?

1974 750GT. Bought new!
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2017, 10:55 am

Yes, the fairing was an option on the early Sport models, but I'm not sure on what years. AFAIK locknut rockers were never fitted to Sports, only GT's. My own Sport was one of the last made and came with shim type rockers and 750 Supersport primary gears, 32/70, which gave seriously high gearing! I crossed the Alps with that gearing and the gearbox certainly got a work out; after that I changed the rear sprocket to a 40t.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2017, 11:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duccout View Post
Yes, the fairing was an option on the early Sport models, but I'm not sure on what years. AFAIK locknut rockers were never fitted to Sports, only GT's. My own Sport was one of the last made and came with shim type rockers and 750 Supersport primary gears, 32/70, which gave seriously high gearing! I crossed the Alps with that gearing and the gearbox certainly got a work out; after that I changed the rear sprocket to a 40t.
Ouch! I have an early '74 GT and originally thought the shims would just be a PIA. But, so far I've never had to change them.

1974 750GT. Bought new!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode