Paint code requested - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
  • 1 Post By Ventodue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 5:54 pm Thread Starter

Paint code requested

Does anybody out there have the paint code for the silver color on a 1966 250 single scrambler? I have access to PPG or TCP Global paint codes. Any code for any paint manufacture will do, I think I can get them converted.

Thanks for your help.

Ricky tic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2016, 12:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickytic View Post
Does anybody out there have the paint code for the silver color on a 1966 250 single scrambler?
Hi Ricky,

Yes and No . Your apparently simple question has a somewhat complicated reply ...

When your bike was made, "paint codes" such as you are familiar with weren't used. Instead, each paint manufacturer named and coded his paints using his own systems.

The original paint supplier to Ducati was a company called Lechler. It's still in business today and, most graciously, they publish a list of the paints, with their names and codes, that were used at the time. In your case, it was a paint that they called "Grigio perla met" (metallic pearl grey) and which they coded as "DUC A10".

However, this name and code will obvioulsy mean nothing to a modern paint supplier!

In addition:
Paints were not supplied to the paint shop ready mixed. Instead they were supplied as components, with the actual paint being mixed on site as needed. Inevitably, this gave rise to subtle varations in tint, depending on who was doing the mixing - the yellow used on some of the late Desmo singles and the 750 Sports is noteable in this regard.

So what does all this mean?
1. You can't simply go to your local paint supplier quoting the paint code of the time. Neither can you perform a simple conversion of Lechler's code to a PPG or other equivalent.
2. If you're lucky, someone has been down this path before you, and found an equivalent modern paint. This is the case for the later wide-case Scramblers, for example.

If not:
3. You could try approaching Lechler and asking them for more info about what went into the paint. I don't know whether this works or not.
4. You can take a sample of the original paint and ask a paint supplier to match it. This is ok if you want the finished job to take into account any discolouration that might have occurred over time.

However, if you want a 'fresh out of the factory' finish, you're likely to be disappointed. Many of the paint finishes achieved by Ducati at the time were WAY better than the 'run-of-the-mill' finishes today, especially when it comes to metallized paints - such as your grey.

5. Another solution: Find a good painter, explain the situation to him, ask him to spray up some sample panels and chose whatever you find the best.

HTH

Craig
DesmoDog likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2016, 1:57 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Craig,
I understand exactly what you are saying. I guess I was looking for someone out there that has been through the matching cycle and has found a match (or closely to) the silver grey met, and has a modern up to date formula code with todays paints, for example, on my 66 Honda CL77 I found the silver color that comes real close to be a formula for 98 Mazda, (or something like that) can't remember for sure.

thanks again, for your time and input.

Ricky tic

Last edited by Rickytic; Mar 3rd, 2016 at 2:05 pm.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2016, 3:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickytic View Post
I guess I was looking for someone out there that has been through the matching cycle and has found a match (or closely to) the silver grey met <snip>
One person that comes to mind is Craig Kenfield. He took a very sad-looking Monza and turned it into something very nice - and used a grey that might work for you. Go http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...ebuild.521288/ for the full story.

Craig trades under the name of DesmoDog on this Forum and will be only too willing to advise, I'm sure.

Last edited by Ventodue; Mar 4th, 2016 at 3:37 am.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2016, 7:27 am

Garage
Thanks for the comments but the silver I chose had nothing to do with matching an original color. I used a pearl silver from House of Kolor cuz it sounded cool. I like how it turned out but it's different than the silver from the headlight that was on the bike originally. Not so much in photos maybe but in sunlight it's less metallic and more, um, iridescent? Strangely enough more "pearly".

If it were me (and I cared about stock colors), I'd follow solution 4 that Craig mentioned. Find a sample that hasn't had much sunlight on it and go from there. Even then you need someone talented though. I've heard stories of putting some sensor on it and a computer spits out a code. Yeah, right. Maybe that works on a white Celica. I had work done on my 907 and the guy got about four shades of red from different places that did that. They were all wrong and finally he did it by eye. And then told me to take it somewhere else if it needed more work.

You might also want to try posting a note on the motoscrubs.com website. It's a Ducati singles site (bikes, not potential dates) and there may be someone there who has gone through this already.

EDIT: Another solution may be taking a non-faded part to the paint supplier and paging through color chips until you find something you think matches well, in both color and "texture".

-Craig
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2016, 4:50 pm Thread Starter

Thanks all for the info.

Will have to go by eye and match the best I can, did that on my Honda CL77 and it worked out real close to original.

Thanks again for the help and info.

Rickytic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode