SF tank expansion poll - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
View Poll Results: Is your SF tank expanding?
Yes, there is some evidence of tank expansion/distortion 59 50.00%
Nothing yet! 59 50.00%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 212 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2010, 10:37 am Thread Starter

SF tank expansion poll

Due to the increased discussion on this, let's take a poll of how many *US* owners of the Streetfighter, have noticed any tank expansion problems from the use of ethanol in their gas.

This is mainly a US issue, as our government felt it made sense to take corn meant for food and put it in our gas tanks, but that is another issue. :-)

The Sport Classic owners, of the 400 that answered the poll, have a 66% rating in the "Yes" column. Many Monster and even Superbike owners have had the same issues.

But we want to get an idea of how many US Streetfighter owners are seeing their tank start to swell and distort.

Check to see if when you turn the bar all the way to each side, is there still a gap between the top of the triple clamp and the tank? Or is it making contact?

Looks for bulges and swells along the side of the tank. Or if you removed the tank for any reason, was it hard to remount it because the bolt hole no longer lines up properly?

Do you notice more of a gap around the edge of the key guard cover? if you remove that cover, is your radiator filler cap gouging into the inner wall of the tank?

If you answer yes to any of these, than your tank is 99% likely to be expanding and we want to know about it.

Thanks!

- 2009 Ducati 1198
- 2011 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 212 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2010, 10:53 am

I know you said US-only but at the risk of being excluded, I am Canadian and we have ethanol here too. My tank is pushing against the rad cap and gouging has begun. I have put this on record at my dealer.
post #3 of 212 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2010, 10:54 am Thread Starter

Some pics, which don't quite capture the extent of the swelling. I also don't feel like taking the time to remove the tank bolt and show how it doesn't line up, because honestly, I don't know if I will be able to get it back in.

And I am too lazy to take off the key guard cover and show the gouging. I will get those pics when we install the new tank, so that you guys can see what I am talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2141.JPG
Views:	1191
Size:	771.4 KB
ID:	76424   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2142.JPG
Views:	471
Size:	875.6 KB
ID:	76425   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2147.JPG
Views:	582
Size:	902.2 KB
ID:	76426   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2148.JPG
Views:	369
Size:	939.8 KB
ID:	76427   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2149.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	76428  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2150.JPG
Views:	444
Size:	916.7 KB
ID:	76429   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2153.JPG
Views:	397
Size:	844.3 KB
ID:	76430   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2155.jpg
Views:	1842
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	76431  

- 2009 Ducati 1198

post #4 of 212 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2010, 10:55 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdurward View Post
I know you said US-only but at the risk of being excluded, I am Canadian and we have ethanol here too. My tank is pushing against the rad cap and gouging has begun. I have put this on record at my dealer.
Well, if you are outside the US but having the issue, then by all means, you should vote in the poll.

I just didn't want all the guys in parts of the world that don't use Ethanol to vote and skew the results. It's an Ethanol issue, so if you use it, then post away. If you don't, then please refrain. :-)

- 2009 Ducati 1198
post #5 of 212 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2010, 11:05 am
Temporary greeter

Garage
Squire, your damage is serious! Thanks for posting pictures. I think that will give an others an idea of what to look for.

It seemed like last time it was mentioned a flood of people found that they had a problem too. I couldn't help but wonder if they were looking at something else.
post #6 of 212 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2010, 11:06 am

So I just went into my dealer yesterday and started a claim for my tank and they were saying that they just recently got a memo from Ducati claiming that this issue is definately not from fuel and that they are working on a solution. It didn't give any imformation at all except they are supposed to sell to the customers that it is not from fuel. They also said that they have customers that are fueling only at our Phillips 66 that has ethanol free fuel and they are still getting tank swelling.I was going to have my new tank coated but now I don't know if it is a waste of money.
post #7 of 212 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2010, 11:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck888ltd View Post
squire, your damage is serious! Thanks for posting pictures. I think that will give an others an idea of what to look for.

It seemed like last time it was mentioned a flood of people found that they had a problem too. I couldn't help but wonder if they were looking at something else.
+1

2010 Ducati Streetfighter Base Red
2005 Yamaha Warrior Midnight
2002 BMW R1150R Boxer
post #8 of 212 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2010, 11:25 am
shark wrangler

Look, I'll be honest, I only see a few slight issues in your pictures. They don't clearly show any contact with the triple clamp
and the shot of the top carbon piece just means the carbon piece doesn't fit well...

The wrinkle on the sides are not good but I think you're going a bit overboard on this topic. I hope Ducati replaces your tank for you and they should
but I think the severity of this problem is being blown out of proportion.

My tank fits tight and has a gouge from the rad bracket but it has had that from new and it hasn't changed, I'd guess that most fit that way.
I don't think that is an indication of the tank swelling. I have a clean linear gap between the forks/triple clamp and my tank.

The bottom line is that it is a cosmetic issue for most of us (it's certainly more than cosmetic for the SC owners) and I don't think
Ducati would be able to replace all of the tanks on every bike since they began using plastic.

Ducati needs to find a solution to this problem and stop using the current materials in the production of their gas tanks NOW.
And they need to replace the tanks that are more severe.

Link to all of my bikes and builds: *Click!*

Last edited by flynbulldog; Sep 16th, 2010 at 11:44 am.
post #9 of 212 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2010, 12:17 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynbulldog View Post
Look, I'll be honest, I only see a few slight issues in your pictures. They don't clearly show any contact with the triple clamp
and the shot of the top carbon piece just means the carbon piece doesn't fit well...

The wrinkle on the sides are not good but I think you're going a bit overboard on this topic. I hope Ducati replaces your tank for you and they should
but I think the severity of this problem is being blown out of proportion.

My tank fits tight and has a gouge from the rad bracket but it has had that from new and it hasn't changed, I'd guess that most fit that way.
I don't think that is an indication of the tank swelling. I have a clean linear gap between the forks/triple clamp and my tank.

The bottom line is that it is a cosmetic issue for most of us (it's certainly more than cosmetic for the SC owners) and I don't think
Ducati would be able to replace all of the tanks on every bike since they began using plastic.

Ducati needs to find a solution to this problem and stop using the current materials in the production of their gas tanks NOW.
And they need to replace the tanks that are more severe.
1) The top triple slams into the tank on both sides now. There used to be a 3mm gap all around, but now it hits. Enough that if you push it to the actual steering lock, it presses the plastic of the tank in about 3mm, and is gouging into the paint, or would of I had not put a thin later of tape on the triple.

2) The carbon key cover, did fit perfectly. Now it has several mm showing all around, it is off center, and the brace for the steering damper has chewed into it 2mm.

3) If I remove the tank for any reason, I won't get it back on. The Ducati technician has a bitch of a time getting it back on and nearly stripped the bolt hole in the frame because it is almost impossible to get the bolt in without cross-threading it.

4) If it keeps expanding, at some point the paint, which is now distorted, will crack and start coming off.

So it isn't "just cosmetic", it is a serious problem with a 7 month old bike that I paid top dollar for, and Ducati needs to address it.

- 2009 Ducati 1198
post #10 of 212 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2010, 2:48 pm

Count me in.. The bump is getting very large on the right side of my tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode