SF tank expansion poll - Page 5 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
View Poll Results: Is your SF tank expanding?
Yes, there is some evidence of tank expansion/distortion 59 50.00%
Nothing yet! 59 50.00%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 212 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 1:58 pm

Let's not go there with GM. My 07 Suburban's frame looks like it was left in a salt marsh and burning a quart of oil every few thousand miles is perfectly normal. I'm not alone in that either and nothing will get done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 212 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 2:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquireSCA View Post
So you think that the cost of addressing what is in essence a defective product, should be transferred to the owner, when the vehicle is under warranty?

Do you work for DNA?
No i do not think the cost should be transfered to the owner. Again, I am only saying why waste all your energy and trips to the dealer,down time on the bike, possible tank to triples crash,somebody seeing how shitty your ducati looks when the tank is melting off the bike, and getting so friggin angry
when a simple one time cheap solution for now, well actually for ever can make all that pain go away? Really? Ducati/acerbis is not going to do anything
about it! And no i do not work for ducati but this is the second bike,third gas tank and honestly i am tired of bitching about it. So i just mentioned a solution!!!
post #43 of 212 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 2:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by holligan View Post
No i do not think the cost should be transfered to the owner. Again, I am only saying why waste all your energy and trips to the dealer,down time on the bike, possible tank to triples crash,somebody seeing how shitty your ducati looks when the tank is melting off the bike, and getting so friggin angry
when a simple one time cheap solution for now, well actually for ever can make all that pain go away? Really? Ducati/acerbis is not going to do anything
about it! And no i do not work for ducati but this is the second bike,third gas tank and honestly i am tired of bitching about it. So i just mentioned a solution!!!
Amen !

Olivier [1199]

--
p.s. who the fk cares about the bikes you once owned.

post #44 of 212 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 3:39 pm
Official Sponsor

Yup...
What he said x11
jc

Quote:

jc@jcpakbikes.com
sportclassicspecialties.com
JCPAKBIKES.COM
FACEBOOK JC/PAK BIKES
FACEBOOK GT1000
FACEBOOK PS1000LE

FLEDA TRON LEGACY
ALPINA WHEELS USA
AELLA-CASUNO / NCR / DISCACCIATI / CARBON DRY / BITUBO / MUPO
post #45 of 212 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 4:41 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Because DNA is claiming that it is not caused by Ethanol.

Until they solve the problem, I am not spending a dime on it. It's their problem. Once they solve it, perhaps I will get it coated, just for piece of mind.

What I will NOT do is spend $200 to get it coated, only to have it expand again, only to have DNA tell me I can get another tank but they are not going to reimburse me for the coating I wasted...

- 2009 Ducati 1198
- 2011 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
post #46 of 212 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 7:12 pm

So if it's not the Ethanol as you say you were told, what would it be?

I have an empty tank in the shelf now since over 6 month that had fuel in it for 5 month, it's perfect now and was perfect when it came off the bike.

I have track bikes here 1098 & Sportclassics, all run on race fuel and never had pump gas- none has a problem with the tank and most of them sit in the warehouse for month at a time with fuel in the tank.

So the story that it's not the fuel is something I have a hard time believing.....

I also had a tank here that came from Italy, it took 1 week exactly for the inside breather tubes to swell up so much that they fell of their fittings on the inside of the tank- that was Ethanol does.....

www.Shift-Tech-Carbon.com

Shift-Tech-Carbon Performance- High Quality Carbon Products!

Last edited by Shift-Tech; Sep 22nd, 2010 at 11:52 pm.
post #47 of 212 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 7:19 pm

Quote:
only to have DNA tell me I can get another tank but they are not going to reimburse me for the coating I wasted...
Or worse yet have your warranty claim declined because you modified/chemically coated the tank.

If they deny a broken frame weld because someone removed an exhaust bracket bolt then I certainally wouldn't be messing with a very expensive tank without something in writing stating that it won't void the tank replacement warranty.

'10 Husqvarna SMR510
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'06 Honda CRF450
And too many bicycles...
post #48 of 212 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 9:02 pm

I know it is risky on the warrentee part but many people have
lined the tanks and no one has had the expansion problem!
Don't get me wrong SquireSCa, I forsure agree with your frustration,
I have had 11 ducatis and loved everyone of them.When i got my
R/s monster i put every dime of extra money i had into it. I would
just stare at it for hours. One day i tried to lift up the tank to service
the air filter and i could not unlock the tank latch! I was really pissed off.
I called the dealer and they jumped right on it and had another one
a week later. That was great! Problem solved! Wrong, One month later
the tank deformed again.This time it took a while to get another tank. So as soon as the other tank arrived i sold my beloved monster! So i saved some money
because i wanted another ducati(did not care to much for the streetfighter at that time) but i did not want a track bike so i went to portland moto corsa to see my buddy Arun about a new bike! He hooked me up on a test ride
on a streetfighter S a red one. Was not real impressed at first,but it grew on me. When i got back from the test ride Arun had wheeled out a White streetfighter S, I had to have it. I asked if there was any complaints about tank expansion on the streetfighter. He said none. I believe him. At that time there was no problems. Well 3 months old the tank is expanding. I was wrecked! But not totally shocked! I will try the tank liner and if it don't work i will get a carbon tank. I really do not know what else to do.
post #49 of 212 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 9:06 pm
shark wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift-Tech View Post
So if it's not the E85 as you say you were told, what would it be?

I have an empty tank in the shelf now since over 6 month that had fuel in it for 5 month, it's perfect now and was perfect when it came off the bike.

I have track bikes here 1098 & Sportclassics, all run on race fuel and never had pump gas- none has a problem with the tank and most of them sit in the warehouse for month at a time with fuel in the tank.

So the story that it's not the fuel is something I have a hard time believing.....

I also had a tank here that came from Italy, it took 1 week exactly for the inside breather tubes to swell up so much that they fell of their fittings on the inside of the tank- that was E85 does.....
I hope you mean E10... E85 is 85% bio ethanol and will not run in our bikes.

Link to all of my bikes and builds: *Click!*
post #50 of 212 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 9:10 pm
shark wrangler

Quote:
I will try the tank liner and if it don't work i will get a carbon tank. I really do not know what else to do.
a carbon tank is made with differing types of esters and epoxies and will melt when exposed to ethanol unless it is lined.
Sometimes even the lined tanks fail. When a carbon tank fails your engine goes bang!

Link to all of my bikes and builds: *Click!*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode