SF tank expansion poll - Page 4 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
View Poll Results: Is your SF tank expanding?
Yes, there is some evidence of tank expansion/distortion 59 50.00%
Nothing yet! 59 50.00%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 212 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2010, 11:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetFreak View Post
Here is the pic from the right side of the tank. I suck with a camera...
Mine looks like that as well...

2010 Ducati Streetfighter Base Red
2005 Yamaha Warrior Midnight
2002 BMW R1150R Boxer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 212 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2010, 7:42 am

Looked at mine closely this weekend....

Its starting to touch the rad. cap, slight bulging on the sides, some weird small round dimpling in certain areas..

I need to get the pictures... Sadly only 1400 miles.
post #33 of 212 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2010, 9:26 am Thread Starter

I am getting my new tank installed today, and my dealer is going to use this thread when he goes to his dealer meeting this week. He said that they are looking into the problem, and that he would like them to see just how big of a problem it is.

So far here, we are looking at more than 1/3 of the bikes out there are having these issues. Granted, this is just one forum, but the results are pretty consistent and if you extrapolate that across all the bikes sold, its considerable.

I will get a pic of the radiator cap gouging the inside of the tank later this afternoon.

- 2009 Ducati 1198
- 2011 Triumph Speed Triple 1050

post #34 of 212 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 2010, 10:37 pm

Besides all of that let's not forget that Ducati did not do something wrong. It's us here in the USA that have this crap in the fuel, from what I hear the tank issues does not show up in most other parts of the world.

So if Ducati takes care of it and tries to resolve this from happening and is replacing tanks in the mean time ( big $$$ for them) then I would say they doing the best they can right now.

That's something we all should not forget so quickly.

I like them to stick around as a manufacturer of some very exciting motorcycles and to be there for many many many years to come, at some point they could take the easy route out and I don't think anybody of us would like that very much...................

www.Shift-Tech-Carbon.com

Shift-Tech-Carbon Performance- High Quality Carbon Products!

Last edited by Shift-Tech; Sep 21st, 2010 at 10:43 pm.
post #35 of 212 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 12:04 am

Get them coated

When you get the new tanks get them coated on the inside.
Save youself and ducati the hassel. You know the new tank is going to do the same thing, spend the 200 bucks and get it done. Sure they should come that way but they don't. At least ducati is replacing them. Its not really their
fault we have ethonol in our fuel. For now it is the only answer. You spend thousands on carbon and a keychain whats a couple hundred bucks to fix the problem for good?
post #36 of 212 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 1:13 am
Official Sponsor

just recently we have been getting many calls and emails for coating the SF tanks.
We have done numerous Sport Classic, Monster, 1098/848, and Multistrada tanks in the past 24 plus months and 100 Plus tanks sealed so far with no returning issues.
Now the SF owners are really coming around to getting it coated professionally.
I have had my personal SC Paul Smart tank coated since early January and it has not budged or expanded. I can leave a full tank in the bike for weeks and no problems
Some SF owners are having the existing tank coated and other are sending them right out of the box when they receive their replacement tanks.
and
These tanks will shrink back if the gas is removed and the tank washed out and hung in a dry well ventilated place. surface or aesthetic bulges, paint blister or cracks will not disappear but can be painted but why go to that trouble when you can get a replacement.
you have til 5 years or 30,000Km (18,620 mile) to keep getting a replacement. after 5/30 they may not.
Cost for service is $225 plus what ever the shipping cost is to Southern California and back. Turn around is 7 to 10 days.

Let us know if we can help you
jc@jcpakbikes.com
626 794 6439

Quote:
Originally Posted by holligan View Post
Save youself and ducati the hassel. You know the new tank is going to do the same thing, spend the 200 bucks and get it done. Sure they should come that way but they don't. At least ducati is replacing them. Its not really their
fault we have ethonol in our fuel. For now it is the only answer. You spend thousands on carbon and a keychain whats a couple hundred bucks to fix the problem for good?

jc@jcpakbikes.com
sportclassicspecialties.com
JCPAKBIKES.COM
FACEBOOK JC/PAK BIKES
FACEBOOK GT1000
FACEBOOK PS1000LE

FLEDA TRON LEGACY
ALPINA WHEELS USA
AELLA-CASUNO / NCR / DISCACCIATI / CARBON DRY / BITUBO / MUPO
post #37 of 212 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 8:22 am

Quote:
Its not really their
fault we have ethonol in our fuel.
Huh? Of course they should know what kind of gas is in (probably) their largest market. If they don't there is something really wrong inside that company. Where in the manual does it say that if you use ethanol gas that your tank might expand and become non-operational?

The tank issue, if it IS because of ethanol, is 100% their responsibility and they need to step up and fix it - period.
post #38 of 212 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 8:34 am Thread Starter

Quote:
The US is one of their largest markets. It is not their fault that we use Ethanol, but they are fully aware of it and should take steps to correct it for the US imported bikes.

Look at it this way... If GM sold a car that for whatever reason, in Europe, 40% of the cars sold had the paint peel off due to acid rain or something(just making an example), don't you think that once it was well-known what the issue was, that they would perhaps use a different paint or sealant on the cars that they sent to Europe?

Sure, environmental issues there are not the fault of GM, but if so many of their cars there develop a consistent problem and they know the culprit, wouldn't they be remiss to ignore it and keep having the problem?

- 2009 Ducati 1198
post #39 of 212 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 9:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquireSCA View Post
The US is one of their largest markets. It is not their fault that we use Ethanol, but they are fully aware of it and should take steps to correct it for the US imported bikes.

Look at it this way... If GM sold a car that for whatever reason, in Europe, 40% of the cars sold had the paint peel off due to acid rain or something(just making an example), don't you think that once it was well-known what the issue was, that they would perhaps use a different paint or sealant on the cars that they sent to Europe?

Sure, environmental issues there are not the fault of GM, but if so many of their cars there develop a consistent problem and they know the culprit, wouldn't they be remiss to ignore it and keep having the problem?
I do not disagree but i if you know you have acid rain and that your paint will fall off again when gm sends you a new warrenteed car with the shinny new paint job would'nt it be worth while to spend $225.00 on a special clearcoat and you would not have to worry about it no more? That is all i am saying.
post #40 of 212 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 10:17 am Thread Starter

Quote:
I do not disagree but i if you know you have acid rain and that your paint will fall off again when gm sends you a new warrenteed car with the shinny new paint job would'nt it be worth while to spend $225.00 on a special clearcoat and you would not have to worry about it no more? That is all i am saying.
So you think that the cost of addressing what is in essence a defective product, should be transferred to the owner, when the vehicle is under warranty?

Do you work for DNA?

- 2009 Ducati 1198
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode