SF tank expansion poll - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
View Poll Results: Is your SF tank expanding?
Yes, there is some evidence of tank expansion/distortion 59 50.00%
Nothing yet! 59 50.00%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 212 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2010, 12:39 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaClawz View Post
Holy shit, 11 "yes" votes so far, this is scary.
Exactly. 11 out of like 33 people so far. Not good!

- 2009 Ducati 1198
- 2011 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 212 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2010, 1:19 pm

Quote:
I wonder what number a faulty party usually generates a voluntary recall?
I work for Honda (car, not bike) and one time when I was at HQ in Torrance I asked that question and was told 1/10 of 1%. That seems like a really low number to me but that is what I was told.

Until people start registering complaints with NHTSA then there will only be a recall when DNA wants to do something about it.

'10 Husqvarna SMR510
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'06 Honda CRF450
And too many bicycles...
post #23 of 212 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2010, 1:24 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoGreg View Post
I work for Honda (car, not bike) and one time when I was at HQ in Torrance I asked that question and was told 1/10 of 1%. That seems like a really low number to me but that is what I was told.

Until people start registering complaints with NHTSA then there will only be a recall when DNA wants to do something about it.
Anyone have a link for the NHTSA complaint line?

I dunno, maybe fuel tanks that are swelling and expanding would potentially weaken them, and perhaps the DOT needs to look into the issue. Maybe if the tanks were examined and the DOT said that Ducati could not sell them until they replaced the tanks with ones that would not expand, DNA would address the issue?

When the bikes were originally inspected and cleared for sale in the US, that was with the understanding that the tanks were not defective.

If the tank is expanding and getting gouged by other parts on the bike, it doesn't take a genius to suggest that perhaps the structural integrity of the tank is somewhat compromised, does it?

I think that I will forward this thread and others, to the NHTSA and DOT and see what they think. Perhaps that will light a fire under DNA's ass?

Any thoughts?

- 2009 Ducati 1198

post #24 of 212 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2010, 4:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquireSCA View Post
Anyone have a link for the NHTSA complaint line?

I dunno, maybe fuel tanks that are swelling and expanding would potentially weaken them, and perhaps the DOT needs to look into the issue. Maybe if the tanks were examined and the DOT said that Ducati could not sell them until they replaced the tanks with ones that would not expand, DNA would address the issue?

When the bikes were originally inspected and cleared for sale in the US, that was with the understanding that the tanks were not defective.

If the tank is expanding and getting gouged by other parts on the bike, it doesn't take a genius to suggest that perhaps the structural integrity of the tank is somewhat compromised, does it?

I think that I will forward this thread and others, to the NHTSA and DOT and see what they think. Perhaps that will light a fire under DNA's ass?

Any thoughts?
Squire, I gotta say you are going to have a heart attack if you keep getting overly excited about this. Yes, it's important, but take a deep breath and relax a bit man.

James

-White F1098 Streetfighter
post #25 of 212 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2010, 4:39 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximmagnum View Post
Squire, I gotta say you are going to have a heart attack if you keep getting overly excited about this. Yes, it's important, but take a deep breath and relax a bit man.
Look at it this way. If I just had a defective tank, no biggie, they give me a new one.

But this problem has been present for years, some people are on their third tank already, and still they use the defective tanks.

That is why I am pissed. Not because they had a bad run of tanks. Because they know about the problem, have known for at least 2 years, and they choose to still use them.

Why?

Because to date, nobody has made enough of an issue of it to make it worth their time to fix it. Because people like you and I, let them get away with it.

- 2009 Ducati 1198
post #26 of 212 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2010, 5:36 pm
bzr
°°°°║

post #27 of 212 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2010, 7:39 pm
Just Getting Fatter

Location: Ral-E / Boston / Pan City, , Citizen of the World Earth
[QUOTE=LaRossa;928482]I'm going that route myself, mean time I'm going to use this stuff
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Sta-B...item2eafd755e1

QUOTE]

I was going to bring that up... I have been using Sta-Bil wtih some frequency, usually if I know a bike might sit for a week or more....

Anyone part of this poll, that has swelling using a stabilizer???
post #28 of 212 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2010, 5:24 am

[quote=Zander-F1098;928928]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRossa View Post
I'm going that route myself, mean time I'm going to use this stuff
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Sta-B...item2eafd755e1

QUOTE]

I was going to bring that up... I have been using Sta-Bil wtih some frequency, usually if I know a bike might sit for a week or more....

Anyone part of this poll, that has swelling using a stabilizer???
That stabilizer is made just for the ethanol causing problems, it can be used with every fill up and I guess if you still have swelling problems after that, it must be something else causing it....
post #29 of 212 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2010, 10:54 am
Blame the universe not the tank!

Maybe I am wrong, but I had the impression that the formulation of the plastic used to make up the tank that allows it to be painted versus a tank for say an enduro bike which cannot be painted due to the plastic formula is what we are at odds with. Acerbis makes both types of tanks. The one that can be painted, does not fair well to any gas. I don't know if it is a case of formulation or what is or is not done to coat the interior, but we do know that Acerbis can make a plastic tank that does not swell... It just can't be painted.

If this is the case, Ducati has three options; either build a metal tank, or make a non pervious skin for a non paintable tank like a tank shroud, or come up with an interior coating that is impervious to chemicals.

I nearly shat myself when I saw what the replacement cost of my S2R tank was. While that is a retail price, it would seem that a metal tank, mass produced, would not cost that much to put to market.

I guess it would be nice to be the fly on the wall at Ducati so as to know what the plan of action is and more importantly what they have set for time line goals. Since it has already been years of this predicament, it would seem they have hit a wall with probably the production costs of metal versus plastic tanks and the added nightmare of replacing umteen thousand existing tanks.

This all reminds me of the scene in Fight Club, where a discussion was made as to the probabilities of a car part failing and how many people must get hurt, multiplied by the cost of settlement; whereas if the cost of settlement is less than the cost of recalling a part, then the decision is to continue making said defective part as it is much more economically viable to deal with the issue on a case by case nature than to have to admit error. Passion for your money. Passion for Red....Tape.

Or I could be totally wrong and Blackie should post something offensive to put me in my place

Hm1100 "Little Basterd" S2r1k "Kat Killer"
2010 SF-S FFS, "Disremembered"
3rd Annual Ducati.ms ECM at Deals Gap Pictures
post #30 of 212 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2010, 10:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquireSCA View Post
Can you post a pic?
Here is the pic from the right side of the tank. I suck with a camera...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01939.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	727.6 KB
ID:	76780  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode