Crashing Sucks - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > StreetFighter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 9:47 am   #1 (permalink)

Crashing Sucks

I had mentioned that I was going to the No.Ga. mountains last week.

On Thursday about 8 of us headed over to Deal's Gap and we were hustling along pretty good for a few hours. As we were leaving Highland on the way to Franklin on 28, there was some kinda diesel fuel or coolant on the road and I did my best to not get any on my tires, but . . . . So, we're in traffic going 30 into a 30 mph right turn and as soon as I lean, wham - the front tire washes out and I hit the ground and start rolling towards the right shoulder of my lane while the Duc goes screeching into the oncoming lane. My riding buddies, Wes and Jesse and Kazman start directing traffic, Andy and Justin pick up my bike and got it out of harm's way. Meanhwile, when I stopped rolling I look around and see that I'm safely off the road and then I start checking out body parts for damage. Well, my left pinky hurt a little and my right knee hurt a little, but surprsingly, I felt pretty good. The Duc also came out surprisingly well, so I got back on the bike and we headed to Franklin for lunch.

After lunch 4 of us headed back to our campground. My knee was a little bruised and the swelling is almost all gone now and my pinky is just a little sore. My helmet, boots, gloves, pants and jacket all got roadrash. Thank God for good gear.

For those of you who have replaced certain items, I could use a little help.

My front brake lever did not break, but half of the ball is ground off and my stock clutch cover's got some rash, so if any one has those parts and is willing to deal, please send me a pm.

The front axle and engine sliders (R&G) did their jobs but the rear brake lever will have to be replaced. The passenger foot peg acted like a slider and saved the exhaust. The rider footpeg has a little rash underneath and then folded up like it's supposed to. I'll also need to get another CRG lanesplitter, but other than that, the bike held up really well.
TallyRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 13th, 2010, 10:10 am   #2 (permalink)
cts

well the good thing is you and your bike are ok...just some cosmetic damages you must deal with...in a little while you wont even remember that one!!
'05 DUCATI S2R 800
'01 KYMCO BW 125cc
cts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 11:21 am   #3 (permalink)

Glad you're okay. The bike can always be fixed/replaced.
SkiZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 11:38 am   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cts View Post
well the good thing is you and your bike are ok...just some cosmetic damages you must deal with...in a little while you wont even remember that one!!
Thanks, we both got lucky, but I don't think I''ll be forgetting this.
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 1:40 pm   #5 (permalink)

sorry to hear about the crash. sounds like you came out really well and the bike is still rideable.

after my lowside, i just ended up getting a set of new levers instead of trying to replace one lever. a set of crgs runs about $110 at www.motovationusa.com

i've got a rear brake pedal and the right side rider peg/rearset if you are interested. unfortunately, i can't seem to find the screws/bolts but you can probably still use the ones from your bike. PM me if interested.

you can check gotham cycles or ebay for any other parts you may need.

http://www.gothamcycles.com

just use the bike specific search option

2010 Streetfighter Red (2010- )
2006 Kawasaki ZXR636 (2011- ) track bike
1999 Monster 750 Dark (2006- )
1981 Honda CX500 (2003-2006) sold
booee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 2:08 pm   #6 (permalink)

Tally, sorry for your misfortune, hope you get everything back together quickly...what kind of gear were you wearing?

Last edited by fighterpilot; Sep 13th, 2010 at 2:19 pm.
fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 2:44 pm   #7 (permalink)

Thanks, Oahu,

I had a Shoei RF1000, Cortech perforated leather jacket, Ducati gloves (they were on sale), Oxtar (now TCX) boots and Firstgear overpants with padding at the knee. I think if I had CE approved armor on the knees I may not have had any injury, so I ordered a pair this morning.
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 2:47 pm   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by booee View Post
sorry to hear about the crash. sounds like you came out really well and the bike is still rideable.

after my lowside, i just ended up getting a set of new levers instead of trying to replace one lever. a set of crgs runs about $110 at www.motovationusa.com

i've got a rear brake pedal and the right side rider peg/rearset if you are interested. unfortunately, i can't seem to find the screws/bolts but you can probably still use the ones from your bike. PM me if interested.
The ball at the end of the lever really took a beating and never broke, so I'm gonna stick with stock. PM sent for the rear brake lever. My footpeg folded so it's fine but the passenger footpeg bracket is kinda rashed.
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 2:57 pm   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallyRex View Post
The ball at the end of the lever really took a beating and never broke, so I'm gonna stick with stock. PM sent for the rear brake lever.
Anyone who's seen my ST2 knows I don't care how it looks, but when I ground down some of the ball on the end of a hand lever in a fall, I just filed it a bit oblongish/round and left it on the bike. As for the rear brake lever, depending on how bad it is, it can probably be heated and restraightened. I've straigthened several hand levers and rear brake and shifter levers with very good success by heating them up and slowly straightening them.

Places I've Been on Two-Wheels:

IBA #32735
"Chrome is to Harley-Davidson as carbon fiber is to ____________"
Desmo_Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 5:53 pm   #10 (permalink)

Man... glad you came out in one piece. Bike can always fix up - or get a new one... Sounds like all the gear you had really save your skin! Make sure you check the triple tree and folks - they usually get a little twisted after lowside.
10' Ducati Streetfighter S BLOG

12' Multistrada 1200S Pike Peak Edition #006
achung123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement