Switching between two ECUs - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > StreetFighter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 9:00 am   #1 (permalink)

Switching between two ECUs

Hi, my SFS currently has a Termi full system plus DP ECU installed. My Microtec ECU has arrived yesterday. Being a newbie to motorcycle ECU, my question is, if I switch between the DP ECU and Microtec ECU, I believe I need to reset the TPS. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I am certain that the software that comes with Microtec has the reset TPS function (or Throttle Calibration in the manual), but is there any way I can reset the throttle for DP ECU shall I need to switch back to DP ECU?

Also please let me know if there are other procedures that I need to care about when switching between ECUs. I hope I don't need to do this often once the fueling issue is resolved...

MichaelKei
Advertisement

Old Jul 31st, 2010, 10:14 am   #2 (permalink)
Blame the universe not the tank!

You are correct, if you swap to the Microtec and do the TPS reset, you would need a method to reset it on the DP ECU. You can purchase VDST I believe from Technoresearch (not 100% but pretty sure of this applying to this rev of ECU)

Why would you be swapping back? Unless you are meaning that if you sold the bike and wanted to hold onto it. Once you install the Microtec, the map for the bike should be ok. The dealer who sold it should have access to other maps if they do dyno work. Did you plan on installing it and not doing a dyno run?

Regardless of dyno or not, with the Microtec you still have to do some adjusting with the cold starting preinjection map based on water temp. You should also measure your rear tire and do the 8% subtraction to set the dash to spot on MPH. Confirm with a GPS unit. Mark at the DucShop set mine up using the dynos speed vs the dash speed.

Good luck!
Gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 10:15 am   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Poster Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelkei View Post
Hi, my SFS currently has a Termi full system plus DP ECU installed. My Microtec ECU has arrived yesterday. Being a newbie to motorcycle ECU, my question is, if I switch between the DP ECU and Microtec ECU, I believe I need to reset the TPS. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I am certain that the software that comes with Microtec has the reset TPS function (or Throttle Calibration in the manual), but is there any way I can reset the throttle for DP ECU shall I need to switch back to DP ECU?

Also please let me know if there are other procedures that I need to care about when switching between ECUs. I hope I don't need to do this often once the fueling issue is resolved...

MichaelKei
You are right - you will need to set the tps between ECU changes.
The software that comes with the microtec will allow a simple TPS set.
But you will have to take it in to the dealer to change back to the DP ECU once you set it to the microtec.

Good luck and please let us know how you like the microtec...
flynbulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 10:28 am   #4 (permalink)

Just checked the Technoresearch site and yes it can do the TPS on the Streetfighter. I have the VDST software and have used it on my former ST3s, and my current S2R1k. It's just a basic tool though, don't expect magic. Costs a little over $200. I run mine off a old Dell Axiam handheld running windows mobile. Software updates are free to download. The cable connecting to the diagnostic port has a hardware key.

If you were thinking about the need to swap back if you sell, just wait until that day arrives and then goto your dealer for a TPS reset prior to selling the bike.
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 3:29 pm   #5 (permalink)

If the TPS is set properly on your IAW5AM (stock) ECU and you don't change the throttle stop, you won't have to reset it when you swap.
The Microtek has a setting procedure that adjusts the ECU to the TPS voltage, which, if you don't change it, will only need to be set once.

When I re-flash a modified calibration onto an ECU it doesn't need to have the TPS reset, only when I change ECUs.

Doug
moperfserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 5:11 pm   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moperfserv View Post
If the TPS is set properly on your IAW5AM (stock) ECU and you don't change the throttle stop, you won't have to reset it when you swap.
The Microtek has a setting procedure that adjusts the ECU to the TPS voltage, which, if you don't change it, will only need to be set once.

When I re-flash a modified calibration onto an ECU it doesn't need to have the TPS reset, only when I change ECUs.

Doug
Correct. The TPS set points are in the CONFIG file. When you set them, you modify the file and then save it. It only needs to be done once. If you want to go back to the DP ECU, it's a 10 minute swap, although I can't think of any reason why someone would want to.
'67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN Vet.
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 5:15 pm   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moperfserv View Post

Doug
Nice tidbit to know... thanks Doug
Old Aug 1st, 2010, 11:40 am   #8 (permalink)

Thank you all for your input

Quote:
Originally Posted by billg69gmc View Post
Why would you be swapping back? Unless you are meaning that if you sold the bike and wanted to hold onto it. Once you install the Microtec, the map for the bike should be ok. The dealer who sold it should have access to other maps if they do dyno work. Did you plan on installing it and not doing a dyno run?

Good luck!

The reason why I may swap is in case if the microtec ECU doesn't work for some reasons or if I make any mistakes in the installation procedure. Well unfortunelately, I did make a mistake. I followed the procedure from page 3 of M197_Getting_Started_v1.2b.pdf to calibrate the throttle, but after I hit TX (transmit) button, a screen that is not shown anywhere in both the getting started and the main manuals popped up. Then after clicking the Streetfighter button, I closed the connection and believe everything is done....Well, now I only see ***** on the panel when I turned the key on and the bike would not start. I believe the reset worked since I can see the throttle idle value changed 1.8 before the reset to 0 after the reset. I will email Mark separately to help me out, in the mean time, I will have no way to ride unless I sort of the Mircotec or send the bike back to dealer to reset my DP ECU

The Ducati dealer will have a Dyno in place by early next year, in the mean time, I will need to rely on maps loaded by Mark based on similar bike setup (i.e. S + Full Termi)
Attached Thumbnails
Switching between two ECUs-save.jpg   Switching between two ECUs-before.jpg   Switching between two ECUs-after.jpg  
Old Aug 1st, 2010, 4:34 pm   #9 (permalink)

After doing the configuration, did you TX a map to the bike as well? I did not install mine, Mark did, so I may not be of much help in initial setup.
Old Aug 1st, 2010, 6:34 pm   #10 (permalink)

I've been there. Get Mark to send you a copy of the config file. Load it into the program, and then set the TPS again. Then hit save and save it to a folder on your computer, changing the name a little so you can I.D. it. Then load that file into the program, replacing the original config file, and TX it to the CPU.
'67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN Vet.
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement