520/525 sprocket & chain differences/advantages - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > StreetFighter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Mar 14th, 2010, 2:38 pm   #1 (permalink)

520/525 sprocket & chain differences/advantages

Ok here's my stupid questin of the day, what are the advantages/disadvantages between a 520 or a 525 sprocket and chain combination?
remo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 14th, 2010, 3:17 pm   #2 (permalink)

I researched this a couple weeks ago, as I came from a drive-shaft bike, and had no idea of what these chain numbers meant.

The 5 part just describes the distance between the centers of the link pins (or wherever on the links, basically how long a link is) and the next two numbers describe the width of the chain. So a 520 chain is going to be narrower than a 525(and thus require a narrower front and rear sprocket) and lighter...this is not necessarily a good thing. Wear and durability will be affected, so you can expect your chain to not last as long, especially with the copious amount of torque that our bikes produce, all to save a few grams of rotating mass. It's up to you to decide if you can tolerate a shorter lived chain to gain performance. When I was researching it, I found other sites (the most helpful was in reference to trick riding Japanese bikes) that basically said, don't go under a 525 if you have over 1000cc--remember these guys are pretty much only doing wheelies and stuff like that, so keep that in consideration...their chains must be stronger to withstand what they do.

A 530 chain is wider still than a 525, so it is going to weigh more, last longer, etc...so far I haven't seen any even available for our bikes, so this is a mute point.

One big point to consider though is: Do you want to replace the front and rear sprockets? if not, a 520 chain is out of the question. if so...you will have to do it all at once...no incremental changes like going to a 14T front sprocket instead of stock 15T at a later date.

-White F1098 Streetfighter
Maximmagnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2010, 3:29 pm   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Poster Award

There's also the risk of the chain actually failing.

There are a few race guys that use a 520 on the big bikes to save weight, reduce rotating mass and rolling resistance.
But, the assumption is that they change the chain more often to not let it weaken to the point of failure.

I would not go to a 520 on a high torque, high HP bike like the SF or a 1098/1198.
The added weight savings and smoother rotation is not enough to risk it.

IMO a good quality 525 is the right chain for the Streetfighter.

Oh and Remo, That is not a stupid question - it's a good one!

Last edited by flynbulldog; Mar 14th, 2010 at 3:34 pm.
flynbulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2010, 3:36 pm   #4 (permalink)

525 vs. 520

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthre...d=1#post767828
Old Mar 14th, 2010, 4:17 pm   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Poster Award

I also believe that DID just came out with a new ZVM2 that has a much higher strength rating than previous chains.

But weights vary, I've also seen a 520 listed that was heavier than some 525s. Some research is in order.

I just went to a new chain and opted for the new ZVM2. Couldn't resist the highest wear rating yet.

http://www.didchain.com/specs.htm
flynbulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2010, 8:54 pm   #6 (permalink)

Thank you all who replied. That explains what I was wondering
remo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement