Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Ducati maintenance plan & extended warranty

16K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  adroc 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I just put down my deposit for a black StreetFighter S and was wondering if I should get the Ducati maintenance plan & extended warranty with the purchase of my new bike once it comes in. The dealer mentioned to me that he would be able to knock a couple hundred dollars off the price of each but I'm not sure if its worth forking out the cash now for this or what.

thx

#2 ·
I'm not sure what's in the plan. But for 2years you are under warranty. And the new incentive for Ducati to take some of the $pain$ out of service is to include the 600mile and 7500 mile service* (does not include cost of parts from what I understand*) If the dealer is your solution to maintenance it may be a viable solution. I am assuming that you do not plan on working on the bike (valve jobs/belts) but might be doing the oil? Extended warranties will typically cover expensive bits like the engine, ecu, dash, electrical. Not sure about expendables/wear and tear parts (rims, sprockets, steering head bearing etc)

Insurance is a form of gambling. You are gambling that something will fail and they will fix it. They are gambling that it wont. Whichever helps you sleep best would be the answer.

#11 ·
I am referring to the recently announced maintenance program. Here is what is on Ducati USA web site:

What models are eligible for the program?
All new 2008 and 2009 Ducati models purchased from June 4, 2009 to August 31, 2009 at participating dealerships.

How do I know I am signed up for the program?
Your dealer will have you sign an acknowledgment form and then register you online. An e-mail confirmation will be provided to you once the paperwork has been received by Ducati North America.

What services are covered under the program?
The Full Factory Support maintenance program covers the first two services as outlined in your owners manual and include:

Service 1: to be performed within 6 months of delivery date or 600 miles, whichever comes first.

Service 2: to be performed within 12 months of delivery date or 7,500 miles*, whichever comes first. To be eligible for the program, Service 2 service must be completed no later than 30 days within one year of the delivery date of your motorcycle.

*If you reach 7,500 miles within the first year you are also eligible for Service A (valve inspection) to be done in conjunction with the 2nd Service. See your owners manual for complete details.

What items are included in the services?
Service 1 includes the following maintenance operations:

* Change engine oil
* Change engine oil filter
* Check brake and clutch oil level
* Check chain tension, alignment and lubrication
* Check brake pads. Replace as needed
* Road test motorcycle

Service 2 includes the following maintenance operations:

* Change engine oil
* Change engine oil filter
* Check brake and clutch oil level
* Brake and clutch controls check and adjustment
* Check and lubricate starter/accelerator controls
* Tire pressure and wear check
* Check chain tension, alignment and lubrication
* Check brake pads. Replace as needed
* Check warning and instrument lighting
* Check and tighten engine to frame mounting nuts
* Check side stand
* Check front wheel tightening nut
* Check rear wheel tightening nut
* Check external fuel line
* Check front fork oil and rear shock absorber for leaks
* Check front sprocket
* Lubrication and greasing at all required points
* Check battery and charging system
* Road test motorcycle
* General cleaning
* Check coolant level (4 valve models only)
* Check power fans and cooling circuit seals (4 valve models only)
* Change fuel filter (S4RS and S4R models only)

Ducati service intervals and required operations are related to both time and mileage. Note that if you reach 7,500 miles within the first year you are also eligible for Service A (valve inspection) to be done in conjunction with the 2nd Service. See your owners manual for complete details.

#4 ·
I believe the maintenance plan covers the first 5 or 6 scheduled maintenances that Ducati recommends for the bike and it costs around $1200. In regards to the extended warranty, I have never owned a duc before but have heard stories about how they do break down a lot and without the warranty I'm going to be stuck paying a ton of money fixing it.

#5 · (Edited)
extended Warrantys and service plans are a way for the dealer to make more profit up front.

in two years you are likely to do two services, the 600 mile and the 7500 mile (the next one is at 15000). Those two services together should run you less than $800 unless your dealer doesn't honer the Ducati service plan and book times (which many duc dealers don't and it sounds like your dealer could be one of those)

Ducatis rarely have catastrophic failures after the first 6 or 8 months or 3000 miles. Once they get a few miles and everything is ok they are pretty bullet proof.

The only thing you really have to worry about is the belts, and as long as you follow the schedule of every 7500 miles you really aren't going to have any problems.

The dealer is trying to hit you for more money - and that is it... :think:

#6 ·
the warranty for the SF will be the standard 12 month warranty. If you can manage to get the 7500 miles on the bike in the first year,, then you could theoretically get that service for free... it's a lot of riding :)

#7 ·
the warranty for the SF will be the standard 12 month warranty. If you can manage to get the 7500 miles on the bike in the first year,, then you could theoretically get that service for free... it's a lot of riding
Hmm. I don't think so. The warranty is 24 months and it does not cover the maintenance costs...

#10 ·
hmm.. well I guess the warranty does cover 24 months, and it doesn't cover the maintenance. I was confusing it with the warranty with the promotional 24 month service thingy, for the 08 and 09 models. My dealer told me that I will get my first year of service and such for free (which is pretty much just the first service, and IF I put 7500 miles on the bike the second service), of course guy may have been blowing smoke up my butt.

#14 ·
Ducati website, choose Street Fighter, then compare models... 09 comes up not 2010. I've already had a talk with the dealer that the SF is part of the maintenance program. While Ducati is offering special financing rates for some, the deal is for all new 2008/2009 bikes... :puts hands on hips, lifts leg and assumes his best Capt. Morgan pose:

#13 · (Edited)
Your first service should be about $180 and the second service is about $580 for both standard and valve services. Any more than that and the dealer is gouging...

Here is the breakdown according to DNA:

600 mile service - $144.38
7500 mile service - $256.88
15000 mile service - $362.20
after 7500 mile valve service $294.80
after 15000 mile valve service $366.30

add the valve service to the regular service at each interval for a total, ie 7500 mile service should be
256.88 + 294.80 = $551.68 (plus tax) for the 7500 mile service

#17 ·
Very interesting article LaRossa, thanks for posting. No worries with Ducati Seattle gouging us... they have always been fair to me.

#20 ·
That must be the bike Paul said I could demo while they serviced mine!!! He wanted me to experience an S!!!! ;)

Chris
PS> I think you'll be quite happy with it. I took my third long ride on it sunday and jsut now starting to get really comfortable with it

#21 ·
Chris,

That's down right neighborly of ya' to scuff my tires in! Already started getting things ready for trailering the ST3s up there with all the spare parts. I don't want to count the chickens yet... when I get the email/call that "it's on", then I'll lose sleep counting the hours. It would be nice to have it by 4th of July for my trip to St. Augustine, but either way I'll be happy to take the S2R just as well. Hope you get an early start for you 600 miles service and avoid the sun at least until you head back.

#32 ·
I wish I could just go to mcc but unfortunately Im stuck with Chicago Cycle since I signed up for a 4 year maintenance program with them. Anyways, its all good now, I just called and complained to management and they are going to get my bike done in 2 hours while I wait :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.