Do you do your own servicing? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2017, 2:43 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Do you do your own servicing?

Hi guys,
I've been riding bikes for a good while but it's been a long time since I really got my hands dirty with a bike. But I plan on keeping my Streetfighter 848 long-term so I'm going to get back into doing any and all work myself.
I was just wondering how many of you take the tools to your rides and have you had any big issues when doing so?

Cheers.
jahjah likes this.

"Sometimes I amaze even myself."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2017, 2:44 pm

I do all my own servicing except valve adjustments. Ducati NYC only charges $550 or something like that for valve adjustments only. The whole service is around $1800.

(current) 2010 Ducati Streetfighter S
(previous) 2007 Aprilia RSV 1000 R <-- 2002 900SS
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2017, 3:26 pm

I'm on the same page as Trance. I only just got mine, but plan on performing all but the valve adjustments myself. If you take your time and do it correctly you'll probably grow a greater appreciation for the bike.

And it puts hair on your chest >:]
FatCobra likes this.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2017, 3:58 pm

You can rent tools from ducatittoolrentals.com
jimbino likes this.

2010 SF, 2011 M796- wife's
A few other and many gone and still missed
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2017, 4:15 pm

I'm on a Superbike 848 (so not much different, especially engine-wise), and do all my own servicing, so far - that's 2 minor and 1 major service.

Valve adjustments are surprisingly easy, I thought. The 848 was my first liquid-cooled engine, and all my bike engines before that were pushrod-driven with hydraulic self-adjusting tappets (air-cooled Buells), so a bit of a learning curve for me with that.

Otherwise, the whole process was far less daunting that I was expecting.

If you are in any way mechanically inclined, and not scared to read up on a few dozen posts of being doing it, or watch as many youtube videos of people doing it as you can find, then I reckon it's a good way to save yourself some money.

I also trust my own work far more than a dealer or mechanic, but that's another story...

Cheers!

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2017, 5:13 pm

I've been doing all my own maintaince and most all work on my bike for years.
I trust my work hard to trust a mechanic you don't know.
Rob Ash likes this.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2017, 6:40 pm

Since my stable has gown to 4, I started a while back, buying specific tools and equipment in order to support all the maintenance needs I would have. I think if a person has a reasonable amount of mechanical knowledge and ability, they should be able to handle most of the required tasks. For the price of a complete 4V service, one could equip their work space with all the tools/equipment needed. I highly recommend the purchase of a motorcycle lift in which to work from, this is worth its weight, I now have two of them. This may not be for everyone but I do enjoy my time in the shop.

Uli

'06 Multistrada 1000 S
'75 750 GT
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2017, 6:56 pm

Have a Bevel Twin, and have done all my own work since new in 1974. Even painted it. Hate having "other people" work on my bike.
Rob Ash likes this.

"If Evolution is Outlawed, only Outlaws will Evolve."
1974 750GT. Bought new!
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2017, 7:41 pm

Garage
I do my own work, but doing it has been progressive. I started riding in 1998, and the dealer did everything for me except oil changes. Once I got a Ducati, I had to learn as there was NO ONE that would work on it. Some called it a 'black art' others said they didn't have the tools. I'm glad that I learned though. I much more confident spinning the wrenches now, and I'm pretty confident regarding diagnosing. The Ducati has made me more confident with my other bikes too. I need to do a valve clearance check on my Aprilia Falco and my YZF600R is coming due too. Having done my 996, I look at those and think (using Jeremy Clarkson's voice) "How hard could it be?"

Get a Haynes manual. Watch tons of videos of the task at hand. Armed with that knowledge, you'll know if you have the tools handy and what complexities you're willing to accept doing on your own.

Micah Berry
2000 Yamaha YZF600R - 2001 Ducati 996 Monoposto - 2002 Aprilia Falco
My wife's
2002 Ducati Monster 620 - 1992 Nighthawk 250
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2017, 8:00 pm
ô

I change the oil, filters and I inflate tires. And I always wash my bike. I am very good unscrewing something off the bike because I believe it makes it lighter.
FatCobra, pmrobert and Rob Ash like this.

Ducati StreetfighterS 1098
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode