Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

The new Monster 1200 is no 1098 Streetfighter

23K views 38 replies 33 participants last post by  mtb 
#1 ·
So, I visited my local Ducati dealer on the Monster 1200 tour.

Ducati - 2014 Ducati Monster 1200 National Tour

I was able to sit on the Monster 1200 (was not the S version) but I didn't hear it run. I would expect it sounds pretty similar to the Multi with that exhaust.

First, I'm sure glad I didn't wait for this thing. Maybe some of this is preproduction schnick schnack but there is profound cheapness in so many things, even when compared to other monsters. It is evident they are fighting a serious price war here. The flimsy gas cap. The rear mudguard. The ignition. Switchgear seemed comparable in quality. Same turn signals. Didn't see the display turned on. The bezel to screen ratio seemed old digital camera poor. Didn't like the cheap bulging unnecessary crap covering the radiator. The plastics in general have a Japanese level of adequacy.

I just can't like the weird curves and angles of the trellis. It's seems clear that it's unnecessary and is there because it's symbolic. Might as well be a fat aluminum spar like the Tuono. Just embrace the engine as stressed member and be done with it.

The bars are quite high, and the tank is very bulbous, more bulbous than the ye olde 1100 Monster, but Monster styled. As such, back angle is very relaxed. I'm 6' with a 32" inseam. My back was maybe 15deg? It's just too relaxed a position for me to want to be that aggressive on it. On the other hand the tank is metal, in your face ye evil ethanol demons.

I really loathe the look of the top of the trellis frame and the lower part of the tank. It's also rough there and one of the nodes in the trellis is there grinding the fleshy part of your knee. I don't get that. Maybe if you have a 34" inseam you wouldn't notice this.

There are some rapid change rubber removable blocks under the seat that change the seating height and position for more relaxed or spirited riding. Eh?

I just don't like the way the pillion pegs come up from the lower part of the bike. While I hated and replaced the slippery stock pegs on the SF, I don't know that the rubber flat Multi-like pegs on the Monster are any better. Are we offroading?

How easy is it to get rid of that whole Multi style license plate thing, I wonder.

I like that there are pillion grips / luggage cleats, well except if a super model is on the back and I want her/him to touch me instead.

I like the more recessed and protected lower radiator. My SF's lower radiator looks like it went through Guadalcanal from rock impacts. I suppose I should have got a rad guard.

Are those Brembos the same quality as the big SF, or a step lower, or do you need to go to the S version to get the nicer monoblocks?

The stock wheels don't really impress me, but I guess they are no worse than the rest of the monster lineup. I guess once you go Marchesini it's hard to go back.

I don't know that I like the curly q exhaust coming out of the the frontmost cylinder. Seems less neat in real life compared to the photos. At least one's foot doesn't catch on those springs that hold the slipon segments together, and one's feet seem fairly unobstructed. I don't have big hoofs so people's complaints about the cramped foot position with the exhaust on the SF didn't really apply to me.

Clutch pull is mercifully lighter than the 1098 SF.

I couldn't bounce the suspension as it was on a precarious platform. Unsure how that is.

It's a great powerplant, I'm sure it's much better to deal with around town, a more friendly beast, and it'll definitely ship units at that price. At the same time I sure do appreciate my SF S more than ever having sat on the Monster 1200 and stared at it for an half hour. My urge to sell it and get a Monster 1200 is zero. Your mileage may vary.

See less See more
#2 ·
Saw it. Couldn't bring myself to wanna sit on it. It's fug, IMO, but I predict Diavel fans are gonna be all over it.

Admittedly I have never been a Monster fan, but I also don't mind the classic-ish looks. And sometimes it takes a while for a bikes' look to catch me, but that's not gonna happen in this case.

Ducati seems to have used up all their sexy on the Pani.

#3 ·
I also saw it a few days ago when they made the stop at Ace Motorsports. Not a fan. There was a lot of hype that this would be the competition for the new S1000R, Tuono, and 1290 Super Duke, but this was a major flop in my opinion.

#12 ·
I was there and I didn't even remember Noticing it?

So it is Not the ATTENTION Grabbing WOW Flashy Futuristic looking Killer Machine.

Of course I am Over and Above Monsters and Street fighters...:rolleyes:;)

I May consider a Monster when the Multi gets too tall for my short a$$ed Frame. Or perhaps even a Diavel!

When time came for me to get my FIRST Ducati I was looking at a 696 or there abouts, Then out of the corner of my eye there it was LIKE a FEMALE FLASHER !!!!

The HYPER S It grabbed my attention like the feature "Dancer"

Expectations are just that , and when bike shopping at the DUCATI "BOUTIQUE" when one is vulnerable, (as in ready to buy)
the bike that STRIKES you may very well be the one you will buy.

A SMART shopper will kick around the budget factor and the pros and cons of each model and one may even do the test rides.

But one like myself will just get awestruck and whip it out and Buy the one that has the most Impact on first glance!

Ducati is settling in for the future and HAS to follow (or Lead the way) with Gov't mandates, WORLDWIDE and they have to be with in the strictest guidelines where the SALES are most prominent.

Cut corners YES! Monsters are supposed t be bikes built from stuff on the racks Yes?

Tunnel vision for manufacturers is a receipt for disaster ( low sales) with LOW PROFITS.

If you LOVE your old Ducati better hold on to it and take care of it, maybe even buy 2 ! for when the daily driver wears out.

The ST Lovers still cry about when they stopped production of their FAVORITE BIKE. They will NEVER forgive Ducati for that corporate Blunder. to cease production of "Their Idea of the Best Bike Ever"

#6 ·
Similar impressions have been shared here: http://www.ducati.ms/forums/42-mons...ati-monster-1200-s-today-show-long-beach.html

Ultimately, this bike will succeed or fail on the strength of reviews and early-adopter accounts. It will not win beauty contests or pull in gearheads with technical innovation or mechanical perfection. Unlike other Ducatis which you could happily gaze at for hours, this bike will need to be more than the sum of its parts. It will have to win us over by sheer functionality.

#7 ·
Νews at 11 : SF owners shit all over a new model that takes the SF's place in the new line-up...

Also : competition against the Tuono ? The 1290 duke ? Who ever said that ?
Also, pretty funny gents, the bike's not out yet and it's already considered a "flop", ah yes...the bike which will sell 'bout 80% more than the SF ever did...you know, since we're talking 'bout "flops"...

Also, i really find the fact that some peeps keep mentioning the "diavel crowd" as some kind of derogatory term, shit's just too funny by now...

Yup, not biased at all boys, keep going...

#9 ·
Νews at 11 : SF owners shit all over a new model that takes the SF's place in the new line-up...
Huh. I thought "Monster" meant it was another um...Monster...?

Also : competition against the Tuono ? The 1290 duke ? Who ever said that ?
What do you think it's competition is? (Hint: this is not a test)

Also, pretty funny gents, the bike's not out yet and it's already considered a "flop", ah yes...the bike which will sell 'bout 80% more than the SF ever did...you know, since we're talking 'bout "flops"...
I wasn't aware we were having a contest. And actually, I think a lot of us like that our SF's are a "flop".

Also, i really find the fact that some peeps keep mentioning the "diavel crowd" as some kind of derogatory term, shit's just too funny by now...
Just so we're clear, what term do you want used in your presence to refer to people who like the Diavel, in the plural sense? Is "Diavel lovers" better for you?

Yup, not biased at all boys, keep going...
Everyone here is biased. That's what 'DUCATI' in the website name means. Furthermore, as pmrobert kindly pointed out, everyone is entitled to their opinion. In that spirit, maybe you would be willing to tell us what you think of the bike instead of just being pissy. Are you a Monster...er... liker?

#11 ·
Speaking of Monster1200 and Streetfighters...what I really DID like about the 1200 is how well it shows off the engine as frame bit ala the Pani, only it's more of a wow on a naked bike. If Ducati does that in a more Streetfighter-y body style, I will not be able to get in line fast enough. I guess that would be a Panifighter.

I can't get past how deep chested and fat it looks up at the front, which Is probably what some people will love most about it. Also, I have never been a fan of the current gen headlight style and this one looks worse to me, like it got squished.

It's the Pug of bikes.

#15 ·
First review I've found so far...

This Monster 1200 S is kinda/sorta the replacement for the old, too-focused Streetfighter 1098. Where that bike was as uncomfortable as the superbike it was based on and no friendlier, the Monster is just as fast, genuinely comfortable and, with those riding modes, can chose to be either just as aggressive or actually work with you to facilitate fast, safe riding. Where that old Streetfighter was too uncomfortable, too sharp and too jerky with unsorted fueling, this new Monster is the picture of perfect composure.
First Ride: 2014 Ducati Monster 1200 S Review | RideApart

#21 ·
Saw it at the local dealer last Friday too.

I don't like the half trellis frame. However, the tank shape is very different from all the other Monsters before- especially when you look at it from the top, it looks more like diamond shaped instead the bulging upper side like previous versions. Still, when you look from the side it looks nice.

I like the fact it's a steel tank.

Nevertheless I don't find its look any more appealing than the previous monsters or the SF. It's kind of meh.

#23 ·
I agree. I saw it at Milan last year and my first impression was ..what? Maybe it'll grow on me was my thought. This is the first Ducati that I have felt that way about at the first look.

The SF is still my all time favorite Ducati with the most character in it's styling. I wish they would update it with the stomping 1199 motor like they did with the current SF after the 1098 came out. With a few styling updates, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Come on Ducati...

#24 ·
I wanna see the new SF 1200 S....

Diavell type motor and wet slipper clutch modded for purpose in a beefed up full trellis frame with similar geometry, exhaust and ergos to the SF848...

Ohlins and Brembo mono's....

Dual LED head lights, integrated tail and front signals

165 hp and 100trq.

190/55 rear... 15/41 ratio

TC, ABS, Ride by wire throttle, and all the electronic goodies of the 1199 pani

Then the dream ends ....

Oh yeh the new monster 1200... I don't mind it but the exhaust needs work

#26 ·
Duc where are you going to test drive the new Dragster RR? I too want to give that a go, so I called Victory BMW of Chandler and they had nothing to show. I think that is one of the best looking machines out there. Like to hear how it goes!

#28 ·
I test rode the Monster 1200. I'll dissent by saying aside from engine vibration (which surprised me), I really liked the bike.

Monster does the following better for me:
- Seat height is nice and low, I'm only 5'7'' on a good day and it was awesome to nearly put my feet flat on the ground.
- You can legitimately ride with a passenger. Like you can actually do this, and not make your girlfriend or wife suffer through it. :D
- ABS. I know, I know, nobody needs it. Unless you need it. Grab a fistful of brake while riding over a painted cross walk when someone pulls out in front of you and you'll most likely never even know it saved your ass.
- More upright riding position for slab work, but still great handling.
- Stock exhaust note is pretty nice compared to the pathetic note of my SF in stock form (fixed with shift-tech!)

Things I didn't like or the SF did better:
- I couldn't believe that my SF was smoother. Way less vibration. A much more electric engine response.
- The SF is thinner and feels lighter. My bike has a lot of weigh shed (exhaust, battery, a lot of CF)
- The SF has, to be expected, a much more planted front end feel.

#31 ·
I don't have a dog in this hunt but it appears the negative stuff is coming from riders who prefer the SF styling etc. and are upset that this Monster isn't a New SF or a Monster that looks like an SF. The SF styling definately doesn't appeal to everyone, though.

#32 ·
That's not exactly true. Many of us have admired what the Monster has been since its beginning and the slight changes it has gone through in its development through the years. The SF and older Monsters are two different bikes but do have a few things in common. I have always wanted a Monster. I like the older two valve bikes and the water cooled S4R Monsters.

But to me the new 1200 Miavel is hideous. It changes many great things that the simple short wheelbase light weight Monster always was. To me the1200 really isn't a Monster. It's just a Miavel mess.

#34 ·
This is true ^^. I came from a 2012 Monster 696 and had every intention of getting the new 2014 Monster 1200. However once I saw it, I was a bit disappointed, but I hoped the new engine characteristics and power would eclipse my opinion of it's appearance so I gave it good long test ride. That test ride was literally the nail in the coffin for me and it wasn't because of the power (because that was fine), it was the ergonomics of the bike. The riding position, and lack of clearance on the foot pegs (especially the right side) was rather off-putting. One would think something as simple as the footpegs could be remedied, however at a closer look it becomes clear it's not an easy fix. In addition, I felt like I was sitting inside the bike and it reminded me of how my Harley feels. The monster is always evolving and maybe the next generation model will be a fit, but not this current one.

#35 ·
I have to agree with SS. An S2R1000 Monster was my first everyday-rider Ducati and I loved that bike. I was also quite fond of the later bikes while everyone else ragged on them. The early 1100 S was one of my all time faves and to me the pinnacle was the Tricolore S4RS.

I was really hoping for something that may top my much loved SFS but the new 1200 is a huge step in the wrong direction for me. It has nearly morphed into a cruiser. The bike mags don't even give it look when comparing naked bikes these days. It's just not even in the same hemisphere as those bikes.

No it's not us, it really is the bike, and its a bummer for those of us who really do love the old Monster.

#36 ·
I wanted the S4rs. It is old school cool with superbike performance. I accidentally bought my SF848 from the auctions as a RWO. I think the S4rs was the precursor to the SF. But SS is right, its certainly more Diavel than Monster these days. Not that I really care, I love my SF and if I ever get a monster it'll for sure be the old style!

#37 ·
Sat on one and didn't like it. The riding position is a little too much like sitting on the couch for me. Just felt way too relaxed, even compared to my old Monster.

The Monster line in general has gone in the wrong direction. The styling went backwards, to where they've made the bike look like the first-gen rather than the second gen. Don't get me wrong, that first gen Monster is a classic, but much like the 911, I prefer evolution rather than revisiting the past.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.