Disabling the exhaust flapper without a cell. - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > StreetFighter

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 3:50 pm   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Secret Squirrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Midwest, IN, USA
Posts: 2,296
Disabling the exhaust flapper without a cell.

I have read the Faq but I'm still unsure about how to do this. All I wan't to do is disable the flapper valve in the exhaust. I have a stock ecu and I don't really care about removing the servo and cable for weight reduction. I know I can't disconnect the electrical connection without throwing a cell. Is it possible to leave the servo motor plugged in and just disconnect the cable at one end without throwing a cell? If so which end of the cable is better to disconnect? At the servo motor or on the exhaust? I'm trying to do this the cheapest way possible. I know I can do this by installing a Duc.ee but is it needed if I leave the servo motor in and connected and just disconnect the cable? Does the SFS do the same servo check/sweep as the 1098 when you turn the key on? From reading I already know you can't just disconnect the cable on the 1098 without a cell. You need a stopper plate on servo to prevent a cell. I appreciate any information about this or links.
__________________
2011 Ducati Streetfighter S
2004 Triumph Speed Triple SE
1999 Suzuki Hayabusa

2006 Buell XB12SCG Lightning- Stolen by Ex-wife 2/1/2012
1989 Honda Hawk GT- Stolen by Ex-wife 2/1/2012
1996 Suzuki GSXR-1100-Sold
2001 Suzuki TL1000R-Sold
Secret Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 4:20 pm   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Santa Cruz, Nazifornia, USA
Posts: 1,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
I have read the Faq but I'm still unsure about how to do this. All I wan't to do is disable the flapper valve in the exhaust. I have a stock ecu and I don't really care about removing the servo and cable for weight reduction. I know I can't disconnect the electrical connection without throwing a cell. Is it possible to leave the servo motor plugged in and just disconnect the cable at one end without throwing a cell? If so which end of the cable is better to disconnect? At the servo motor or on the exhaust? I'm trying to do this the cheapest way possible. I know I can do this by installing a Duc.ee but is it needed if I leave the servo motor in and connected and just disconnect the cable? Does the SFS do the same servo check/sweep as the 1098 when you turn the key on? From reading I already know you can't just disconnect the cable on the 1098 without a cell. You need a stopper plate on servo to prevent a cell. I appreciate any information about this or links.
Hi. Are you doing this to smooth out your lower rpm a little, and/or make the bike a little louder at low rpm? Is there another benefit I don't know about?
proheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 4:23 pm   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 244
From what I understand if you remove the cables from the motor it still scans for stops but a small plate that Chris at desmoworld in germany sells to fit on the motor takes the place and fools the ECU.
mr shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 4:37 pm   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Secret Squirrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Midwest, IN, USA
Posts: 2,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by proheli View Post
Hi. Are you doing this to smooth out your lower rpm a little, and/or make the bike a little louder at low rpm? Is there another benefit I don't know about?
Both of those reasons. My bike is pretty smooth on the bottom end with the minimal fuel correction I have done. I'm pretty lucky. I'm still using the 02 sensors but have the AFR richened from stock. I wan't to eliminate the bike making additional unneeded fuel correction around the exhaust flap. I'm hoping that by disabling the flap I might gain an even smoother bottom end. My SFS already sounds good with the slip ons I have but if the sound increases a bit that's fine to.
__________________
2011 Ducati Streetfighter S
2004 Triumph Speed Triple SE
1999 Suzuki Hayabusa

2006 Buell XB12SCG Lightning- Stolen by Ex-wife 2/1/2012
1989 Honda Hawk GT- Stolen by Ex-wife 2/1/2012
1996 Suzuki GSXR-1100-Sold
2001 Suzuki TL1000R-Sold
Secret Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 4:52 pm   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Secret Squirrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Midwest, IN, USA
Posts: 2,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr shifter View Post
From what I understand if you remove the cables from the motor it still scans for stops but a small plate that Chris at desmoworld in germany sells to fit on the motor takes the place and fools the ECU.
I found the plate you where talking about. So the SF is like the 1098/1198 as far as the servo doing a check for the cable at startup. Have you ordered from Desmoworld before? All the prices are in Euros and in German language and I don't see a conversion to USD. I think I'm going to just go with the Duc.ee to get the job done. I know I won't have a problem getting one from Vizible Technologies. Then if I ever decide to take the servo out I can. Here's that plate from Desmoworld just in case someone else is interested.

Anschlag Bleck für Ducati Klappenmotor
__________________
2011 Ducati Streetfighter S
2004 Triumph Speed Triple SE
1999 Suzuki Hayabusa

2006 Buell XB12SCG Lightning- Stolen by Ex-wife 2/1/2012
1989 Honda Hawk GT- Stolen by Ex-wife 2/1/2012
1996 Suzuki GSXR-1100-Sold
2001 Suzuki TL1000R-Sold
Secret Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 7:48 pm   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
darrenSF1098's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Makati, , Philippines
Posts: 34
i disconnected the cable from the flapper end...just that...no CEL..
darrenSF1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 7:52 pm   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Secret Squirrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Midwest, IN, USA
Posts: 2,296
Thanks. Maybe I'll try that. I won't really know until the spring if it works when I can ride again.
__________________
2011 Ducati Streetfighter S
2004 Triumph Speed Triple SE
1999 Suzuki Hayabusa

2006 Buell XB12SCG Lightning- Stolen by Ex-wife 2/1/2012
1989 Honda Hawk GT- Stolen by Ex-wife 2/1/2012
1996 Suzuki GSXR-1100-Sold
2001 Suzuki TL1000R-Sold
Secret Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 8:02 pm   #8 (permalink)
Drama Control Team
 
Wonway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chicago, IL., USA
Posts: 19,532
Images: 1
As said, you can remove the cable from the servo and not get a light. You do need to leave the power connected to the servo.

Duc.ee is the way to go or just turn the servo off in your ECU with a tune.
__________________
1994 888 LTD #61 with fenders!
2008 Husqvarna TE610
2014 KTM Adventure R with duct tape mod v1.0

Ducati.ms ECM photos
Wonway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 8:25 pm   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Secret Squirrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Midwest, IN, USA
Posts: 2,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonway View Post
As said, you can remove the cable from the servo and not get a light. You do need to leave the power connected to the servo.

Duc.ee is the way to go or just turn the servo off in your ECU with a tune.
Do you recommend disconnecting the cable at the servo or down on the exhaust at the flapper to not have a cell come on? Or does it even matter which end of the cable is disconnected as long as you leave the power connector plugged in?
__________________
2011 Ducati Streetfighter S
2004 Triumph Speed Triple SE
1999 Suzuki Hayabusa

2006 Buell XB12SCG Lightning- Stolen by Ex-wife 2/1/2012
1989 Honda Hawk GT- Stolen by Ex-wife 2/1/2012
1996 Suzuki GSXR-1100-Sold
2001 Suzuki TL1000R-Sold
Secret Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 8:32 pm   #10 (permalink)
Drama Control Team
 
Wonway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chicago, IL., USA
Posts: 19,532
Images: 1
It don't matter.
__________________
1994 888 LTD #61 with fenders!
2008 Husqvarna TE610
2014 KTM Adventure R with duct tape mod v1.0

Ducati.ms ECM photos
Wonway is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
exhaust flapper valve issue dieselquads StreetFighter 4 May 11th, 2012 8:09 pm
exhaust flapper valve removal ... johnchypermotard HyperMotard 40 Jan 25th, 2012 11:11 pm
Disabling the exhaust valve Drinky HyperMotard 25 Dec 14th, 2011 3:29 pm
Eliminating code after disabling flapper valve... Brainfry HyperMotard 8 Apr 8th, 2008 3:19 am
pic of exhaust flapper disconnect yota HyperMotard 22 Feb 20th, 2008 10:35 pm

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:12 am.



Ducati.ms Web Community is powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum