Disabling the exhaust flapper without a cell. - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Motorcycle Forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > StreetFighter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 4:50 pm   #1 (permalink)

Disabling the exhaust flapper without a cell.

I have read the Faq but I'm still unsure about how to do this. All I wan't to do is disable the flapper valve in the exhaust. I have a stock ecu and I don't really care about removing the servo and cable for weight reduction. I know I can't disconnect the electrical connection without throwing a cell. Is it possible to leave the servo motor plugged in and just disconnect the cable at one end without throwing a cell? If so which end of the cable is better to disconnect? At the servo motor or on the exhaust? I'm trying to do this the cheapest way possible. I know I can do this by installing a Duc.ee but is it needed if I leave the servo motor in and connected and just disconnect the cable? Does the SFS do the same servo check/sweep as the 1098 when you turn the key on? From reading I already know you can't just disconnect the cable on the 1098 without a cell. You need a stopper plate on servo to prevent a cell. I appreciate any information about this or links.

2006 Buell XB12SCG Lightning- Stolen by Ex-wife 2/1/2012
1989 Honda Hawk GT- Stolen by Ex-wife 2/1/2012
1996 Suzuki GSXR-1100-Sold
2001 Suzuki TL1000R-Sold
Secret Squirrel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 4th, 2012, 5:20 pm   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
I have read the Faq but I'm still unsure about how to do this. All I wan't to do is disable the flapper valve in the exhaust. I have a stock ecu and I don't really care about removing the servo and cable for weight reduction. I know I can't disconnect the electrical connection without throwing a cell. Is it possible to leave the servo motor plugged in and just disconnect the cable at one end without throwing a cell? If so which end of the cable is better to disconnect? At the servo motor or on the exhaust? I'm trying to do this the cheapest way possible. I know I can do this by installing a Duc.ee but is it needed if I leave the servo motor in and connected and just disconnect the cable? Does the SFS do the same servo check/sweep as the 1098 when you turn the key on? From reading I already know you can't just disconnect the cable on the 1098 without a cell. You need a stopper plate on servo to prevent a cell. I appreciate any information about this or links.
Hi. Are you doing this to smooth out your lower rpm a little, and/or make the bike a little louder at low rpm? Is there another benefit I don't know about?
proheli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 5:23 pm   #3 (permalink)

From what I understand if you remove the cables from the motor it still scans for stops but a small plate that Chris at desmoworld in germany sells to fit on the motor takes the place and fools the ECU.
mr shifter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 5:37 pm   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by proheli View Post
Hi. Are you doing this to smooth out your lower rpm a little, and/or make the bike a little louder at low rpm? Is there another benefit I don't know about?
Both of those reasons. My bike is pretty smooth on the bottom end with the minimal fuel correction I have done. I'm pretty lucky. I'm still using the 02 sensors but have the AFR richened from stock. I wan't to eliminate the bike making additional unneeded fuel correction around the exhaust flap. I'm hoping that by disabling the flap I might gain an even smoother bottom end. My SFS already sounds good with the slip ons I have but if the sound increases a bit that's fine to.

2001 Suzuki TL1000R-Sold
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 5:52 pm   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr shifter View Post
From what I understand if you remove the cables from the motor it still scans for stops but a small plate that Chris at desmoworld in germany sells to fit on the motor takes the place and fools the ECU.
I found the plate you where talking about. So the SF is like the 1098/1198 as far as the servo doing a check for the cable at startup. Have you ordered from Desmoworld before? All the prices are in Euros and in German language and I don't see a conversion to USD. I think I'm going to just go with the Duc.ee to get the job done. I know I won't have a problem getting one from Vizible Technologies. Then if I ever decide to take the servo out I can. Here's that plate from Desmoworld just in case someone else is interested.

Anschlag Bleck für Ducati Klappenmotor

2001 Suzuki TL1000R-Sold
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 8:48 pm   #6 (permalink)

i disconnected the cable from the flapper end...just that...no CEL..
darrenSF1098 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 8:52 pm   #7 (permalink)

Thanks. Maybe I'll try that. I won't really know until the spring if it works when I can ride again.

2001 Suzuki TL1000R-Sold
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 9:02 pm   #8 (permalink)
U.P.H.

As said, you can remove the cable from the servo and not get a light. You do need to leave the power connected to the servo.

Duc.ee is the way to go or just turn the servo off in your ECU with a tune.
1994 888 LTD #61
2014 KTM Adventure R with duct tape mod v1.0

Ducati.ms ECM photos
Wonway is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 9:25 pm   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonway View Post
As said, you can remove the cable from the servo and not get a light. You do need to leave the power connected to the servo.

Duc.ee is the way to go or just turn the servo off in your ECU with a tune.
Do you recommend disconnecting the cable at the servo or down on the exhaust at the flapper to not have a cell come on? Or does it even matter which end of the cable is disconnected as long as you leave the power connector plugged in?

2001 Suzuki TL1000R-Sold
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 9:32 pm   #10 (permalink)
U.P.H.

It don't matter.
1994 888 LTD #61
2014 KTM Adventure R with duct tape mod v1.0

Ducati.ms ECM photos
Wonway is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.