Rizoma Turn Signals & Resistors - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > StreetFighter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 2:31 pm   #1 (permalink)

Rizoma Turn Signals & Resistors

I asked and never received a real answer, so I thought I would post my findings here.

I installed Rizoma signals (front and rear) on my F848 and needed one resistor PER SIDE to maintain the stock flash rate. I installed them in left side of the tail section as there was plenty of room there and NONE up front. The whole install took about an hour and required a few extra parts to mount the signals to the front/rear (using the DP Tail Tidy). They look great and work perfectly. I will post up a how-to guide with pictures if I get some time.

~Ex
2010 Triumph Bonneville SE [RIP]

Research shows a close correlation between Ducati ownership and Stockholm Syndrome.
Existence_Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 4:27 pm   #2 (permalink)

i'm just curious, would a relay like the Lockhart Phillips work on a ducati?

Lockhart Phillips LED Turn Signal Flasher Relay - Universal | MotoSport
msu_1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 5:31 pm   #3 (permalink)
Drama Control Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by msu_1972 View Post
i'm just curious, would a relay like the Lockhart Phillips work on a ducati?

Lockhart Phillips LED Turn Signal Flasher Relay - Universal | MotoSport
No. There is no turn signal flasher on a Streetfighter. It is built into the ECU.

Any led light will require a resistor to match the resistance lost with an incandescent bulb. Otherwise you can expect it to flash fast or not at all.
1994 888 LTD #61 with fenders!
2008 Husqvarna TE610
2014 KTM Adventure R with duct tape mod v1.0

Ducati.ms ECM photos
Wonway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 6:55 pm   #4 (permalink)

I had a bad experience once with resitors. I have the motodynamic squential taillights and they already had resistors in there kit. The sequential flash rate was normal and even the front Oberon barend turn signals w/out resistor were flashing at standard rate. I was a little paranoid about the electrical stuff so I added Oberon resistors to both front turn signals and all the turn signals went ape shit. The front signals were actually fashing ricer style and so were the rear. The rear squential flashing stop and only did the ricer flash and plus the yellow lights were dim too. Too make things worse, the turn indicators don't come on when in use. So after that little hick up, I chopped of the front resistors and everything was normal again. Is there a thing where theres to much resitors/Ohm for Ducati's? Do these bike only need a certain amount of Ohm not to screw with the ECU? My SF turn sigals are still working properly even till today with only resitors to the rear turn signals.

2012 1199 Panigale
2010 1098 StreetfighterS
2003 749s(SOLD)
2012 696 Monster(SOLD)
2012 848 Streetfighter(SOLD)

Last edited by Vdizzle; Aug 22nd, 2012 at 11:26 pm.
Vdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 10:10 pm   #5 (permalink)
Drama Control Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdizzle View Post
I had a bad experience once with resitors. I have the motodynamic squential taillights and they already had resistors in there kit. The sequential flash rate was normal and even the front Oberon barend turn signals w/out resistor were flashing at standard rate. I was was a little paranoid about the electrical stuff so I added Oberon resistors to both front turn signals and all the turn signals went ape shit. The front signals were actually fashing ricer style and so were the rear. The rear squential flashing stop and only did the ricer flash and plus the yellow lights were dim too. Too make things worse, the turn indicators don't come on when in use. So after that little hick up, I chopped of the front resistors and everything was normal again. Is there a thing where theres to much resitors/Ohm for Ducati's? Do these bike only need a certain amount of Ohm not to screw with the ECU? My SF turn sigals are still working properly even till today with only resitors to the rear turn signals.
Usually one set of resistors will do the trick. I'm not sure why yours went "apeshit" with 2, but it does not suprise me knowing how sensitive the ecu/dash unit is.
1994 888 LTD #61 with fenders!
2008 Husqvarna TE610
2014 KTM Adventure R with duct tape mod v1.0

Ducati.ms ECM photos
Wonway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 2:32 am   #6 (permalink)

I didn't use any resistors for mine. I actually prefer the faster blinker rate. I did test one resistors in the rear and they worked fine for getting the blink rate back to OEM'ish speed.

The other reason I decided not to use the resistors is... they get HOT! VERY HOT! Even after only a few seconds of use. I simulated being at a stop light by letting them blink for about 45 seconds and they got so hot I couldn't even touch them with my bare hands. (Yes they were wired correctly)
Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 2:46 pm   #7 (permalink)
rarely down, never out

I replaced my OEM front signals with Oberon bar-end led's and Watsen's semi-flush mounts and didn't add any resistors, for the rear I relocated the stock signals into the vents......flash rate is normal.

Either the Oberon's have a built-in resistor or the combination of all those signals has enough impedence to maintain a proper flash rate......
'04 R1
'01 ZX7R (too fat to fly)
'83 KZ1000ELR
'74 RD400 Daytona
3-stroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 5:13 pm   #8 (permalink)

You relocated the stock n the vents? Please picture

Sent from my iPad using Motorcycle
aschemkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 5:23 pm   #9 (permalink)

Many LED signals do have built in resistors. I added Watsen Design flush-mounts to my Daytona and they had a resistor wire pre-installed and they worked fine without any modification. Later I added a Light Werkes integrated tail light and it didn't change a thing.

My buddy added Protons to his FZ6R and CBR600RR and had to install a flasher (as seen above) to make them flash properly. Otherwise, he would have little amber strobes on his bike.

I thought it was nice that Rizoma included 2 resistors as OPTIONAL with each signal. So if something goes awry, I have 6 extra.

~Ex
2010 Triumph Bonneville SE [RIP]

Research shows a close correlation between Ducati ownership and Stockholm Syndrome.
Existence_Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement